The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Classic Car Values

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Classic Car Values

I was wondering where a guy can go and find the value of his classic car? I have a '66 Impala sitting out back that I want to sell to a friend and was wondering how much it is worth. I went to NADA and they were really descriptive, they just told you the MSRP and high and low values. I was wondering if there is a place that tells you how much its value is depending condition of vehicle?
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator

If its just a plain old Impala, not running, its worth what you will accept with agreement with what someone will write a check for.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM

With a little more info we could help you out. Super Sport or base Impala? 2-door? 4-door? Engine? Does it run? General condition of the body and interior?

You can also try this site:

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/

Last edited by jaunty75; February 8th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

6cylinder with a slush box, 427SS...Stick or Auto, high or low miles....rotted...not rotted...complete all parts there and in good restorable condition??? Been sitting in a swamp up to the axles or in the dry desert? We need just a little more info our crystal ***** are broken.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM

Its a 1966 Impala with 283 and a powerglide. It has been sitting for about 11 years on an old concrete driveway, it has some surface rust and a couple holes behing the wheel wells and on the rocker pannels. Interior isn't to shappy smells a little but still if fair shape. It hasn't ran in ten years and plan on getting it going here next month.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:27 PM

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a non-Super Sport '66 Impala 2-door hardtop with the base V-8 in non-running but restorable condition at $3,000. If it's a 4-door sedan, the value is about $1,600. A 4-door hardtop is about $2,100. Get into good running condition, and those values rise by about 50%.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The cars value depends on so many variables each one is pretty much unique.
The main variables are chassis, body, paint, drivetrain and interior.
Then you need to consider equipment levels, originality, authentication (service history, number of previous owners, who has worked on it etc).

Unlike late model cars you are looking to a niche market, the time of year will affect how big the demand for a classic car is for example.

That's why getting a ballpark figure for any classic is so hard, anyone prepared to print a general list of values is really sticking their neck on the block.

Roger.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yes, I was going to say about the same for a 2 door. If there’s no major rot in the important places: rear wheel lips, trunk floor, floor boards, firewall cowl area where it attaches to the frame and at the base of the windshield at the dash area, Windshield and Rear window channels good, frame not crusty or soft in the usual spots, no major collision damage and 90-95% of all the important parts are there I’d say 2.5-4K all day.
Good starting point for a restoration.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
anyone prepared to print a general list of values is really sticking their neck on the block.
Oh come on. Let's not overly dramatize this. Exactly what's going to happen to someone who puts forth a value estimate for a car that turns out to be wrong? Is someone going to arrest him?

The price guides serve a useful purpose as long as you realize their limitations. They're very average values. But anyone wanting to sell a car wants to have some idea where the market is on it in order to establish an asking price. Saying you'll take "whatever someone will pay you for it" isn't good enough. There's always an asking price.
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM
delete

I like to look on EBay for completed auctions on similar cars.