The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Chappaquiddick Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:16 PM

Chappaquiddick Oldsmobile

I hesitated for a moment because I don't want to come off as morbid, however as usual curiosity gets the best of me
I was watching a program where they flashed a photo of Ted Kennedy (no politics involved here) I think I was a freshman in Highschool at the time of the Chappaquiddick incident so I had a lot of other things on my mind, Washington & Kennedys was not one of them however
being a car guy I vaguely remember seeing the car and thinking one of the Kennedys drives the same car as my Grandpa ?
So doing a little review I think it was a Oldsmobile Delmont 88, Wow with Kennedy money I would have figured a 98 however there is no mention of the year I'm guessing 68.
My question is what year was it, was it a Delmont 88 and most of all what happened to it ? was it destroyed or or is it locked away some where ?
Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:26 PM

Olds was a1967 Delmont 88 and kennedy is an ***
Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:46 PM

google Chappaquiddick Oldsmobile pics

Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
Olds was a1967 Delmont 88 and kennedy is an ***
Was
Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
kennedy is an ***
What politician isn't?
Old May 3rd, 2022, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
What politician isn't?
he wasnt one when this happened
Old May 3rd, 2022, 08:57 PM

"Ted" Kennedy was a US Senator from November 7, 1962 – August 25, 2009
the Chappaquiddick "incident" occurred July 18-19, 1969
Old May 3rd, 2022, 09:26 PM

Is the car still around in someone’s collection like the Bonnie and Clyde death car or Hitlers Mercedes or was it destroyed ? You never can tell what people collect .
Old May 4th, 2022, 02:57 AM

I, too, have a morbid curiosity. I wonder if someone still has the Buick that Jane Mansfield died in. There are a lot of pictures of that car after the crash. Now that I think of it, there's also the Lincoln Continental that John F. Kennedy was killed in. Is there anyone on this forum that has, or ever had, a hearse as an every day car, or part of a collection? A friend who's mother was a beautician for a funeral home used to drive a station wagon with blacked out windows that doubled as a removal car, a car that picked up corpses from homes and hospitals to be taken to the funeral home. They only used the hearse for funerals.
Old May 4th, 2022, 03:55 AM

Old May 4th, 2022, 04:42 AM
Always room for one more

Jayne Mansfield's car is in the Dearly Departed museum in Hollywood.

I had read somewhere that Kennedy's Oldsmobile actually belonged to his mother, and shortly after the car was dragged out of the water it disappeared. I'm sure that car was crushed and shredded before noon.

Old May 4th, 2022, 05:17 AM

Old May 4th, 2022, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by blakes7
I, too, have a morbid curiosity. I wonder if someone still has the Buick that Jane Mansfield died in. There are a lot of pictures of that car after the crash. Now that I think of it, there's also the Lincoln Continental that John F. Kennedy was killed in. Is there anyone on this forum that has, or ever had, a hearse as an every day car, or part of a collection? A friend who's mother was a beautician for a funeral home used to drive a station wagon with blacked out windows that doubled as a removal car, a car that picked up corpses from homes and hospitals to be taken to the funeral home. They only used the hearse for funerals.
Well not a hearse but some one died in it . When I was in high school there was a kid who started driving to school in a 65 Pontiac Bonneville
beautiful 4 door, everybody knew that was not his style most kids 17-18 year old would not have bought a 4 door land yacht, turns out the story was a family member had committed suicide in it !! apparently uncle Mack caught his wife cheating on him and couldn't handle it, took a handful of drugs and went out to the Bonnie maybe because he loved the car and didn't want to die in the bed he caught his wife cheating in.
Anyway after it was all said and done nobody in the family wanted the car and my high school acquaintance wound up with it.
at least there was no bloody mess to deal with.
P.S. he drove that car all through high school no reported curses or weirdness, I lost touch with the guy after graduation (I was never in the car)

Last edited by solly; May 4th, 2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:21 AM

as someone else mentioned it disappeared shortly after the accident,it was a 67 delmont 330,as if the delmont wasn't a low enough model they didn't even spring for the delmont 425.i have seen extensive pictures of the car having consulted with the man that wrote a book about it a few years ago,"Chappaquiddick speaks" (there have been a few) the movie that came out 3 or 4 years ago was pretty good,also my 65 cutlass convertible makes a brief appearance
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by solly
I think it was a Oldsmobile Delmont 88, Wow with Kennedy money I would have figured a 98
The Kennedy's didn't own a house on Martha's Vineyard, Ted was there for a sailboat race (and apparently a little more since he didn't bring his wife that weekend) and was driving around with Mary Jo long after the last ferry was departed to Edgertown. He was probably driving a beater car like most rich people do on the Cape
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:56 AM

It was registered to his mother,he was staying at a hotel and there was a party at another rented house for all the people working on his political interests most of them girls.i'm surprised that a lot of people aren't aware of the recent movie as there were several well known people in it and done well in my opinion
Old May 4th, 2022, 12:17 PM

I will have to find and watch the movie
and as always see what happens when you reach out here !! someone is always going to know something or someone, I love it !!
Old May 4th, 2022, 06:36 PM

Jim, is that VW ad for real? Wow if so, that took some ***** and seems politically incorrect... Very funny!!
Old May 4th, 2022, 07:27 PM

I remember back in junior high there was a big rain storm and the streets flooded (that happened weekly but this one was memorable). My friend and I pushed a young woman's Beetle out of the flooded road and that thing was moving around like a fishing bobber until we got it onto high ground.
Old May 4th, 2022, 08:08 PM

I believe the VW ad was a MAD MAGAZINE prank ad, VW sued & it was settled out of court
Old May 4th, 2022, 08:45 PM

Exclamation 88 At the bridge

In my mind, I had the whole true story for the last 50 years.
In the Spring of '70 a fellow Poli Sci classmate at a local state college did some research and made a presentation about the whole affair. In his story, the car started when they got it out of the water and his mother drove it like that until the cold of winter. Being that the senate was out of session, Ted , anticipating some possible repercussions from the accident, had time to form a new law partnership "Dynam, Dincem, and Dunkam " Attnys At Law and drove that car for the next few years. It seems like my friend's research may have been somewhat tainted because it doesn't sound at all like the other comments!

Old May 4th, 2022, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Jim, is that VW ad for real? Wow if so, that took some ***** and seems politically incorrect... Very funny!!
Yeah, that's a sharp ad team right there.
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:34 PM

The car President Kennedy was riding in when he was killed is on display at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn Michigan. The chair President Lincoln was sitting in when he was killed is also there.

For those of you in readerland who have never been to the Henry Ford museum, it’s well worth the trip. Plan on at least 2 days to see it. The Rouge factory is also definitely worth seeing.
Old May 5th, 2022, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers

National Lampoon
Old May 5th, 2022, 02:50 AM
Always room for one more

I believe Johnson had Kennedy's Lincoln fitted with a hardtop and it stayed in the White House motorpool for several more years. Seems odd, have Secret Service hanging all over the car but it's a convertible.

Old May 5th, 2022, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
National Lampoon
That make sense!