The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

CARB wants to get rid of black cars?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM

CARB wants to get rid of black cars?

I found this at one of the other sites I go to. Sounds like CARB is losing thier minds.

http://www.motorauthority.com/carb-t...alifornia.html
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Registered

I heard about that, hearses too? I see that mud brown was a recommended color to replace it.
The Governators AC police will probably be monitoring temps with those devices like the ghost hunter dudes use.
Wouldn't the black cars be warmer when they radiate the stored heat when it gets cool at night and save heating energy that way? Cats were surveyed and prefer sleeping on black cars on cold nights 10 to 1 over other colors.
All the snowbird cars from Florida are white, give people a little credit, like nobody knows about the sun and black cars.
The semi transporters should be hauling them all back up here soon. Pretty good business for a couple months in the fall and spring. My seester and bro-in-law live in southern Arizona and all his old rustangs are black on black.
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That's racist.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM

I think the idea is laughable but fear someone must be taking it serious to be discussing it! In Oregon there has been talk of a GPS system on your car so you can pay taxes on the distance you drive. Big brother can monitor when and where you drive. Now that they've pushed so many people into small cars the state isn't getting enough gas taxes!

My brother was telling me some of the extreme things they're doing in the city of Eugene Oregon to conserve energy. Then he went down to Las Vegas to watch the races. After checking out all the lights and glitz he decided that Vegas wastes more energy in one day that the greenies in Eugene could conserve in a year. I guess if it makes them feel good to drive something the size of a beer can then they're welcome to do it

I work for the government, but still want them to say away from my car keys!!!
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Well I will only buy black cars from now on.

If this passes, what happens if you own a black car and drive to CA?
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Registered

The computers in the cars probably monitor a lot more than you know about already. It seems like somebodies always watching you anymore, afraid to pick your nose.
My wife works at a major auto insurance sompany that has a girl named Flo in the TV commercials and starts with a "P". They have a unit that monitors how much and where you drive and you pay insurance based on that. They have exclusive rights and they've been testing it in a pilot program for a few years. It sound like the same sort of deal.
Edit: I just talked to my wife and she says they're working with that unit and the Feds right now.

Last edited by Bluevista; March 28th, 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: newsbreak
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Past Administrator

wow, depressing what the greenies are trying to do.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Just A BaBy {:

wow were not free to have a choice any more huh?
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
GM Enthusiast

My wife works at a major auto insurance sompany that has a girl named Flo in the TV commercials and starts with a "P". They have a unit that monitors how much and where you drive and you pay insurance based on that. They have exclusive rights and they've been testing it in a pilot program for a few years. It sound like the same sort of deal.
Edit: I just talked to my wife and she says they're working with that unit and the Feds right now.

Terrible and disgusting. Big Brother here we come.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM

This was brought up in another forum and I will say here what I said there. They can have it when they pry it from my cold dead hands. Good thing I don't live in Cali.

100_3150.jpg
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM

my buddy is into grand nationals and i like the 83 H/O. now i want to get one more than ever.
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
ate glue as a child

But black is suppose to be a more aerodynamic color. http://207.242.75.40/derbtech/colorme.htm
Not that you could go fast enough to make a difference on a L.A. freeway anyway.

"Arrest me red" will be replaced with "arrest me black"
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM

This is just the beginning. The sad thing about this particular deal is as I understand it any way, the air con systems are efficient to the point that, you are further ahead to run them as opposed to opening the window, and pulling against the resulting increase in drag. A bureaucracy run amuck has become a soft tyranny, and soon will become much worse if left unchecked.

Last edited by csstrux; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM
ate glue as a child

Originally Posted by csstrux
This is just the beginning. The sad thing about this particular deal is as I uhderstand it any way, the air con systems are eficient to the point that, you are further ahead to run them as opposed to opening the window, and pulling against the resulting increase in drag. A burocracy run amuck has become a soft tyrany, and soon will become much worse if left unchecked.

Didn't mythbusters do a episode on using air conditioning vs rolling windows down?
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I'm not sure. I got the info from a friend of mine actually did comparisons with his own vehicle and worked out better running A/C. If I remember right this backed up info he read someplace. I don't remember where he got the info from, and would not remember this much if I had not been kinda shocked by it in the first place. I got a mind like a steel trap...rusted shut. BTW where are you in Mad town. I'm sitting in sun prairie right now, waiting to get loaded since 7:30. GRRRRRR!
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Now that uncle sam is taking over the US auto industry mabey they will only make micro sized white cars we will all be saved then.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Not sure weather to laugh or cry
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
ate glue as a child

I'm actually in cottage grove. Madison is easier for others to find on a map. so were only a few miles apart right now. My g/f is a home health aide an is in sitting in janesville right now. Waiting for a client. weird
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Look on the bright side Chad think of all the time it will save car shopping... "UMM let's see, I think I'll take that little white one!"
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Small world. After I finally get loaded here, I'll be headed back that way. I should be east of Chicago by now, but am not even going to attempt it any more today. I'll just have to get up around 2am and get rolling tomarow. At least MY customers are starting to move again, the brokers will kill you.. We should hook up one of these days. Looks like you have a nice project going.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Look on the bright side Chad think of all the time it will save car shopping... "UMM let's see, I think I'll take that little white one!"
Uncle Sam will take care of everything... What is that about the scarriest thing ever said?
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
ate glue as a child

yes we should. i'll pm you later this week. I'm off to work right now
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM

not sure what my schedule will be looking like, but usually am home weekends.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM

Freedom seem to be slipping away. Andy
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cecil Anderson
Freedom seem to be slipping away. Andy
Sadly, very quickly welcome to 1984 Orwell got the year wrong, but not much else.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Captain of my ship

mythbustes

Originally Posted by jaysun
Didn't mythbusters do a episode on using air conditioning vs rolling windows down?
yep and they busted the one about trucks without tailgates being more efficient.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:47 AM

Pretty soon there will be more color choices in washing machines then with cars! I can now have either a black, blue, green, or burgundy laundry duo that almost cost as much as a cheap car... Heck, the dark colored dryer drum would be MUCH more efficient in drying my clothes!!
Cars today are pretty much like appliances, so might as well make 'em all white, almond, or harvest gold...

I did city mileage tests with my 97 Caddy with A/C vs non A/C - did not see a notable difference. The only big difference was winter driving vs summer - I recorded 17 vs 20 in the Caddy (city).
Rules might soon develop that limits your driving amount in the winter...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; April 3rd, 2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Captain of my ship

Black

Maybe you could offset the effect of the sun on black if you add in lots of metalflake in the paint as for big brother every car with onstar can be tracked as to where they are at any given time. Big brother could watch you now that they own part of GM I have been driving my 90 Astro for 15 years and I am going to retire it soon. I have my late father's 07 Colorado that should last me another 20-25 years. It does not have onstar so I am safe for a while yet
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM

I think I will paint all of my cars pink and black
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM

as for big brother every car with onstar can be tracked as to where they are at any given time
You don't have to have On-Star to be tracked by Big Brother. What do you think the Flu Vaccine is for evey year? They inject RF transmitting nano-probes into your blood that are good for about a year before your body breaks them down. Don't even get into food additives and flouride in the water. It is all just Dick Cheney truth serum. They are trying to control our minds!

I make sure I say something obscene every so often. It keeps Psy-ops on their toes. I know they are listening to me, so I might as well give them a laugh.

I've already said too much. I am going to burn everything I own and go live in the woods. See ya!
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM

The rest of the world doesnt give a rats butt.

While we're trying to recover every ounce of freon, drive super low emissions cars, and get rid of black cars, the rest of the world (Russia, S. America, Asia except Japan, and Africa) are setting us back 2 steps for every one step we make.

I went to Thailand, and while there did a little research on recycling Catalytic converters, they dont have them!! They up the price of the car and they're not required! So they leave them off. All of those scooters running around Asia....talk about gross polluters. Sure they get 75 mpg, but there's a billion of them running around with no emissions.

I mean we're just fooling ourselves.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Captain of my ship

Lead by example

Considering that the U.S. uses 40% of the world's oil I think that the western world has to lead by example. We are only fooling ourselves to think that we will never run out of oil. Consider that China and India are quickly catching up in technologies and lead in some. You are talking about 2.5 billion people just in those two countries. Could you imagine where we would be if they all had 2 or 3 cars for each family? India just developed the most fuel efficient car in the world , it gets around 75 mph and is about the size of the smart car but I think they have a 4 seater. In China 90% of the population do not have cars of any kind. Most commute into the bigger cities ,that supply us with everything we used to make , by high speed rail. It would put anything we have in North America to shame. Indonesia as well has a huge poulation that putt around on scooters and bicycles or oxen and wagons. They are developing electric/gas scooters that could double their fuel milage. These countries know that they could not possibly be like the west because if that happened we would run out of oil in 10 years. It is unfortunate but it has to change because it is not sustainable. It is the same thing that just happened to wall street , they could not sustain the growth at the risk of "risky gambles" where everybody was making money gambling on the housing market continuing to go up and up. Sub-prime mortgages were a huge gamble and when they started to go bad it was like a mud slide picking up steam as the markets started to panic. No oversite by the government was the problem and now that they want to fix it everybody still complains. It is time to change a lot of things but the good news is that it can be done. We just have to convince the oil and car companies to invest in new technology. If not you are going to go the way of the Dodo bird.