The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Is California planning on salting their roads?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Is California planning on salting their roads?

While listening to the radio last night(about 2: O clock AM) I heard a public announcement listing all the advantages and safety features of salting icy roads, this is the second time this has happned. Because I listen to many distant stations at night I at first thought it was a message from a far off state but not so, It was KGO San Francisco. Any one know anything about California turning into a road salt state? Why would the state of California pay good money to promote something if they didn't have a alternative reason. I would be surprised if environmentally this state would go this way but who knows these days, different money has crossed different palms and have gotten different results..... Tedd
Old January 26th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Somebody high up owns a salt mine. They've got lots of sand nearby.
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:23 PM

I don't know about your area Tedd, but I understand they've put salt down on the Siskiyou pass for the last two winters. Portland Oregon got hit pretty hard this winter and many of those folks are not used to driving in packed snow and ice. I understand parts of the city were shut down for several days. So the topic of salt to make the roads more drivable was in the news this winter, and the pros & cons were discussed on the radio quite a bit.
John
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:39 PM
OldsMoStyle

I've heard of them using brine(sea salt and water) in certain area of cali for years. I haven't heard much about using straight salt there.
Old January 26th, 2017, 05:43 PM

Used to be solely cinders and sand in Northeast PA, but now it is salt and one of several corrosive liquid pretreatment chemicals that stick to everything and gets into every crevice of a vehicle. If these were used back in the day, many more classic cars would never have survived or would be in much worse condition.
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:45 PM
OldsMoStyle

Makes you wonder how this new steel would stack up against the old steel as far as life in high corrosion areas go. I think new cars rust a hell of a lot quicker. Fortunately they got a lot of sweet plastic body moulding to hide it under. lol
Old January 26th, 2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Used to be solely cinders and sand in Northeast PA, but now it is salt and one of several corrosive liquid pretreatment chemicals that stick to everything and gets into every crevice of a vehicle.
Oh yes TXDOT has decided that liquid magnesium chloride would be good to spray on the bridges and overpasses on the Texas highways just before a big winter storm in areas where we get bad weather. Luckily that is only once or twice a year. I think it has been going on for at least 5 year probably longer. They still spread 100s of tons of sand everywhere too. It seems to be good at helping deteriorate the road surface.
Old January 27th, 2017, 09:23 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thus the importance of getting the car doused in the "Krown" or "Corrosion Free" rust treatment. It gets in the same places all the bad stuff can get into and repels it. Us salt belters need to do this to our daily drivers or they melt away in 5 or less years. You west coasters are lucky. They are likely talkin about salting Donner Summit and other high elevation areas in Cali? One would think this would be a giant no no with all the extremely stringent EPA regs your state leads in. That salt will work its way into Eco systems...No need to worry, the unemployed tree huggers will protest on DC and it will be banned.
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:55 AM

Oh well, salting the roads all over our country is common pratice here in Finland, been so long that God only knows..
Its still not the biggest problem thought, cars got junked long before the salt takes its toll, due to mechanical/electrical problems, which surpasses the cost of the car. So its just easier to junk it than fix it..