The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Anyone interested in abandoned Rail Ways?

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2019, 10:23 AM

Anyone interested in abandoned Rail Ways?

Last edited by zeeke; February 1st, 2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: I think it's the old NY Central. It goes through Forest Park, Queens, NY
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:26 AM

Old February 1st, 2019, 10:28 AM

Old February 1st, 2019, 11:13 AM
Jeff

Wow, that's crazy to see those lines with the tracks still in place. In Michigan, most abandoned lines we see around here have had the rails pulled out. They often get reused as walking trails and bike paths.
Old February 1st, 2019, 11:19 AM

People have taken property over on some parts of this line. Made parking lots out of them. Obviously no one has built on them. I'm wondering who has the ownership for this line. Quick research says it was built by the Long Island Rail Road 50 years ago to service Rockaway Beach. 5 miles of track left to be reclaimed to the earth. There have been proposals to make it a park. Hmm... a park within a park. I wonder what they will do to all the "squatters" who've made paved parking lots out of some of this land.

Last edited by zeeke; February 1st, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old February 1st, 2019, 01:13 PM

I can't believe that no one's stolen the rail for scrap yet

I work for a bridge demo contractor. Depending on the scrap prices RR Bridges are pretty much the only type of bridge we'll remove for scrap value.
Old February 1st, 2019, 01:29 PM

Hell them rails make some great anvils for beating sheet metal and such! check eBay and see how much it goes for !! they sell it by the inches
Old February 1st, 2019, 01:44 PM
Administrator

That's sad. On a side note, when I was a kid we used to walk the train tracks from Yonkers all the way to the GW Bridge occasionally hopping a ride on freight train to save some time.
Old February 1st, 2019, 01:54 PM

An abandoned subway station I looked at yesterday under the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx

Old February 1st, 2019, 02:02 PM

Most scrappers won't/ can't buy railroad iron unless it comes with a permit. Things may have changed lately but in the olden days it would keep the scrappers from steeling the tracks from out from under their trains. Interesting pictures.... Thanks ....Tedd
Old February 1st, 2019, 02:16 PM
Olds Fever

I am not surprised to see all that abandoned track... Rail usage in NY has reduced drastically over the years... I know of several very large rail yards used back in the 50's & 60's, now as far as I know, it has minimal use if any... In this area where steel and manufacturing industry has been substantially reduced, there is just no need to support the rails...
Old February 1st, 2019, 05:37 PM

Cool pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It would be counter productive in cost terms to try to salvage that steel with all the trees that need to be removed first. Pretty interesting pictures. I wonder when those tracks were last used? Some of those trees look to be a good 50-70 years old.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
It would be counter productive in cost terms to try to salvage that steel with all the trees that need to be removed first. Pretty interesting pictures. I wonder when those tracks were last used? Some of those trees look to be a good 50-70 years old.
It's easy. You grab one end with a loader and pull them out. Then you shear them into 5' sections with shear mounted excavator to get the maximum salvage value. Rail is high alloy and fairly brittle. They generally snap when you shear them

Trees aren't a big deal either when you have a shear. As long as the trees fits in the throat of the shear they work on wood too

Last edited by allyolds68; February 2nd, 2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I guess that would work. So why are so many tracks just left behind instead of salvaged? I know that locally when rail lines are abandoned the tracks are pulled. Like with Weezers comment, the land is often reclaimed for other purposes.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:47 AM

I use to snowmobile in the UP years ago back when I had disposable income. I recall spending a week in Copper Harbour, there was a OLD train sitting near a large bridge crossing a river. The train had clearly been there a long time, most of the track had been pulled up around it. It wasn’t far from the snowmobile trail, and people we free to climb on it and look around it. I’m sure I have pictures of it somewhere.

On a a side note, with the uncertainties of fuel prices, I’m kinda surprised rail hasn’t made a comeback in shipping. I always heard water and rail was the most efficient way to ship large or heavy freight. Here in central Indiana there are many abandoned rails, I remember as a kid there was always a freight train somewhere holding up traffic. There use to be Continental Steel that had many tracks bringing scrap iron to be recycled into nails, fencing, wire, etc, the Chrysler transmission and Casting plants had freight trains bringing in scrap aluminum for casting into all kinds of things, Haynes International making stainless and exotic metals for aerospace or other industries, now it’s all done by truck. I’m sure there is lots of economic reasons why rail hadn’t made a comeback. People are always looking to save a penny.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I use to snowmobile in the UP years ago back when I had disposable income. I recall spending a week in Copper Harbour, there was a OLD train sitting near a large bridge crossing a river. The train had clearly been there a long time, most of the track had been pulled up around it. It wasn’t far from the snowmobile trail, and people we free to climb on it and look around it. I’m sure I have pictures of it somewhere.

On a a side note, with the uncertainties of fuel prices, I’m kinda surprised rail hasn’t made a comeback in shipping. I always heard water and rail was the most efficient way to ship large or heavy freight. Here in central Indiana there are many abandoned rails, I remember as a kid there was always a freight train somewhere holding up traffic. There use to be Continental Steel that had many tracks bringing scrap iron to be recycled into nails, fencing, wire, etc, the Chrysler transmission and Casting plants had freight trains bringing in scrap aluminum for casting into all kinds of things, Haynes International making stainless and exotic metals for aerospace or other industries, now it’s all done by truck. I’m sure there is lots of economic reasons why rail hadn’t made a comeback. People are always looking to save a penny.
The problem is there is little manufactured in this country anymore. All the freight is going from ports to distribution warehouses.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:35 AM
Randy C.

My grandfather was a rail logger and he took me and my brothers on several train rides (both steam and diesel locomotives) in the 1950s to early 1960s. When he was taking us places in his car, he would point out the abandoned railways and bridges (usually only the abutments were remaining with the bridges) which we also note to this day when my brothers and I are going somewhere together. The old rail line from Toledo, OR to Siletz, OR, where we got to ride in the steam locomotives, is now the main highway and the various "loops" off to each side of it are the old highway. We've also taken time out to trace the old rail line (some of the rails are still there) from Coquille, OR, all the way to Powers, OR, a line that grandpa would regularly put us on the diesel and steam locomotives to take the empty cars back to Powers after the logs were dumped off in Isthmus Slough just south of Coos Bay, OR. Those are memories that my brothers and I will always cherish. It's amazing when we look at the old 8mm videos of us riding on those locomotives - something that would never happen nowadays because of liability issues. I guess we were just expendable back in those days!

Randy C.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:49 AM

Mike I'm shocked that tunnel wasn't loaded with homeless especially in that area of the Bronx. We had a train fire there a few years back. Tough to get there rigs in and out. Other than responding to that fire I never realized those tracks where there. We usually cross train with CSX in the Hunts Point yard on tank cars. Are you going to be working that project?
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That's sad. On a side note, when I was a kid we used to walk the train tracks from Yonkers all the way to the GW Bridge occasionally hopping a ride on freight train to save some time.
We had ConRail by us as kids, I think CSX owns the tracks now. I think that line went to the Brooklyn Army Terminal back in the day. We used to climb the Hell Gate Bridge back then too. Atlantic Rail, although light still runs the Long Island freight. There are a few yards and lines on the Queens Brooklyn Boarder, not sure who that is but it could be Atlantic.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Mike I'm shocked that tunnel wasn't loaded with homeless especially in that area of the Bronx. We had a train fire there a few years back. Tough to get there rigs in and out. Other than responding to that fire I never realized those tracks where there. We usually cross train with CSX in the Hunts Point yard on tank cars. Are you going to be working that project?
The job bids next week. Whether we work there depends on who gets it. We would be a subcontractor for the demo. The tracks under the bridge are being removed and the bridge is getting filled in. It’s a big job. I’d really like to get the demo on it. I was kind of surprised we were able to even get in there. I think the gate is usually locked. I just stopped and talked to the first guys I saw and told them why I was there. I don’t even remember if they were CSX or MTA.

I was surprised there weren’t any homeless too. I think it was so cold that Thursday that most were in shelters. They don’t usually give me any problems. I don’t bother them and they don’t bother me.