Installing new front upper control arm bumpers, 72 cutlass

Old November 27th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Chris

Installing new front upper control arm bumpers, 72 cutlass

Hi everyone. I think i really screwed up by forgetting to install the front upper control arm bumpers when i installed the control arms and springs. Is there anyway i can get the new ones in without recompressing the spring and removing the upper ball joint from the spindle?
Thanks for all the help you have all provided!
Chris.
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
Hi everyone. I think i really screwed up by forgetting to install the front upper control arm bumpers when i installed the control arms and springs. Is there anyway i can get the new ones in without recompressing the spring and removing the upper ball joint from the spindle?
Thanks for all the help you have all provided!
Chris.
You should be able to get then in place by jacking under the spring instead of under the frame. If that doesn't allow enough room, while the car is supported this way you can disconnect the upper ball joint and pivot the upper arm out of the way. The weight of the car keeps the spring compressed and the shock prevents the spring from coming out anyway.
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Chris

Joe, would i have to wait until i put the body back on the frame with the weight of the engine for that to work?
Thanks!
Chris.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Yes, probably.
However I have sucessfully managed such tasks by chaining the frame down to the legs of a cherry picker then using its boom to lift up on the lower control arm, which then allows the upper CA to be free of forces. Rather than engine/ body weight to keep the frame down, you use the crane legs. Chain securely all connections.
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Chris

Ok, thanks! Itw so frustrating to have to do all this additional work that, if i been paying better attention, would have taken me all of 2 minutes in the first place. Ah we live and learn lol. Thanks!
Chris
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Chris

Thank you all for your replies! Joe, you are thinking i can jack up under the spring, and then remove the castle nut of the ball joint? And the weight of the car would keep the arm from breaking loose and wild?
Chris
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you all for your replies! Joe, you are thinking i can jack up under the spring, and then remove the castle nut of the ball joint? And the weight of the car would keep the arm from breaking loose and wild?
Chris
Actually, the shock in the center of the spring prevents it from going anywhere. The weight of the car compresses the spring sufficiently that you can get the upper control arm off and on again. You do have the engine and trans in place, correct? If not, there likely won't be enough weight.
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Chris

Joe, no right now the body and engine are not installed. So what if was to jack it up under the spring like you said, and wrap a chain around the frame and the bottom of the jack to simulate the. Weight of the motor. Would that work?
Chris
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, no right now the body and engine are not installed. So what if was to jack it up under the spring like you said, and wrap a chain around the frame and the bottom of the jack to simulate the. Weight of the motor. Would that work?
Chris
Sounds like Chris' suggestion with chaining to the engine hoist. At this point I might just resort to an internal spring compressor. What you really want is the factory style that uses a threaded rod between the upper shock mounting hole and the hole in the lower control arm.

Old December 5th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Chris

Joe, where can i get one of those?
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, where can i get one of those?
That one was home made. Description is here.

Here is another home made variation.

I got lucky and was able to score one of the Burroughs Tool Oldsmobile factory tools a few years ago. I used it when I did the front end rebuild on my wife's 1985 D88. It was so much easier to use than the aftermarket compressors.
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Chris

Thank Joe!
Chris
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Administrator

I would just wait until you have most of the weight back on the vehicle. Then you can just support it on the lower control arm and worst case break the upper ball joint loose and install them. There is no harm or damage being done by waiting.
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Chris

You're right Eric. If I'm feeling cautious, ill take your advice and wait. If I'm feeling adventurous, then ill try the other methods, Thanks to all of you for your help!
Chris