swirl marks/abrasive scratches

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM

swirl marks/abrasive scratches

can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of swirl marks? My '76 98 looks as if it may have been waxed with an abrasive wax or as another fellow on this site suggested, may have been waxed in the sun.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by miho35o
can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of swirl marks? My '76 98 looks as if it may have been waxed with an abrasive wax or as another fellow on this site suggested, may have been waxed in the sun.
Most auto paint stores sell swirl remover, which is just a mild polishing compound.
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM

If you have a DA sander, you can get a foam pad and backer that will fit from you local auto body supply. I like McGuire's products myself. They have a three step system that works beautifully. finish off with the purple glaze...Sweet.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

From my years as a professional detailer, I would invest in a Dewalt variable speed buffer/polisher. They make quick work of anything from extremely heavy abrasives, to a standard light waxing. Last time I checked, they go anywhere from $80-$100, but they last forever, even in an extremly busy shop. I even ran mine over once with an Escalade and it didnt even scratch it. As for the polish, I use the professional 3M stuff they sell at the autoparts stores. light/medium/heavy cutting compounds, and the swirl mark and final polish. You could get away with skipping some of the steps, like just using heavy to light, light to polish, but to get the absolute best shine, go all the way with every step. Also make sure to fequently clean the polishing pads, have a dedicated pad for each compound ( VERY IMPORTANT) and use lots of clean, lint free, non abrasive rags for requent cleanup of dust, compound, etc.