Inner wheelhouse

Old August 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Inner wheelhouse

I am trying to reconstruct the inner wheelhouses on my 68 cutlass. I have new outers, but am doing this on a budget so i will need to repair the inners. I believe some detailed pictures of the bottom six inches, as well as setting the outers as a blank, I can reverse engineer the parts I need. I think these are common up through 72. If someone would be willing to shoot and post pics of their rear wheelhouses front and back with special attention to the bottom corners, I would be eternally grateful. Many thanks in advance for any help offered. Chad
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Past Administrator

The front ones should not be much trouble because they bolt up as a separate unit. You should be able to get some at a local junk yard. The rears would be tougher though. Have you considered trying to find a good donor car and take all four? You would have to cut out the rear ones with a sawzall. Good luck.
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
The front ones should not be much trouble because they bolt up as a separate unit. You should be able to get some at a local junk yard. The rears would be tougher though. Have you considered trying to find a good donor car and take all four? You would have to cut out the rear ones with a sawzall. Good luck.
Actually, I believe he was talking about the front and back portions of the REAR inner wheelhouses. The plastic front inner fenders usually don't rust...

Also, be aware that the lower rear inner wheel house is available as a patch panel from the usual sources. I've found a price of about $65 each. The full inner wheelhouse is $125.
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM

joe is correct, I am looking for the front and rear sections of the rear wheelhouse. I believe I can repair what I have from the doner car, but want it to look as origional as I can. many moons ago I worked in a body shop where I was learning to do this kind of work, but was the wrecker operator. Needless to say many interuptions was to word of the day, every day. So I am trying to relearn every thing I thought I knew then. I really have to be careful where I spend my money as fuel is outrageus, and freight rates have not risen to reflect the increased expence. wordy responce to a simple statement. BTW tamraz has goodmark body panels seemingle 30% less that any competition around, for any one who is in the middle of a project like mineI got my outer houses there for $89 a side, whole inners are the same, but like I said, my overhead is too high for that right now. sucks to be an owner operator right now.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Csstrux,
I have a 68 cutlass convertible with patched rear inner wheel housings. The car body was restored in 1981 when wheel housings were not available (so the previous owner told me when I bought it in 2004). The trunk/body/paint is in too good of condition to tear down and replace the patch job with what I would call a proper replacement. This is the only spot on the car that bothers me and you can see it when you investigate the trunk.
My two cents: Save as necessary and buy the full inner panels! You are doing way too much work and will spend too much money over the course of the project to regret this later. They are too deep in the car to do over at a later date if you change your mind. You will get way more back on resale value. This is one of the first place me and most other perspective buyers look when checking a seemingly rust free car.
Sorry, but sometimes you need to grit your teeth and pay.
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM

I took some pics of my dad's GS and extrapolated on an inner from the parts car. they still need work, but are coming along. I think they will work nicely.

Last edited by csstrux; February 14th, 2009 at 04:57 AM.