Use a Chassis Paint or just use black paint??

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Use a Chassis Paint or just use black paint??

I am in the process of cleaning up the underside of my 72 convertible I have been looking into different paints and finishes and when it comes to spraying my floors and rails I am not sure if I should go with a "chassis paint" like from eastwood or POR15 or should I go with a regular satin/ semi gloss black spray paint? The car is one we drive and show I want the bottom side to be clean and have the correct colors. Is it worth buying a $15-$20 can of chassis paint or should I just buy a $7-$9 can of regular metal spray paint?
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Chassis paint is intended to be more durable than regular paints. Whether it achieves that goal or not is disputable ... and also dependent on the quality of the application.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM

I have the chassis sanded, cleaned and preped for paint
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM
72 Olds CS

my arlington tx car has a lot of red oxide color under it, I have readon here that there may be some variation depending on build location as to what is supposed to be under the car.
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:34 PM

I would suggest you go with an actual 'Chassis Paint'. The regular rattle can paint looks fine for a while, but scratches VERY EASY.
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would use POR15 in chassis black.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM

chassis paint

70% gloss black for the frame
30% gloss black for the floors
I would start with a good epoxy primer as it will help fill any imperfections in the frame. My suggestion for final color is to use a Dupont series paint called Imron. This is what I used for my current project and is extremely durable. Hit it with a hammer and not leave a mark type of durable.

-ben
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:20 AM

Thanks guys for the input. Bennie I have heard about that product is it expensive?
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Rustoleum is pretty durable. If the chassis has been cleaned then the por-15 is just paint. Although it is thicker its intended to be used over rust hence the name paint over rust p.o.r. The rustoleum exterior furniture paint is pretty durable and can be thinned out and sprayed with a gun. Now to put it in prespective on how that thickness por fan love its all moot in my opinion. I media blasted my whole underbody and etch primed it and just used regular undercoating on everything and it is yet to chip or peel and I sprayed it very thin. Now when I take my frame off to do some repairs I'm doing the frame in rustoleum like I did my firewall. To use the por 15 over bare metal is not the cheapest because you wil need to use the metal prep and etch primer since the por 15 will not have rust to bite into.
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:59 AM

There is another possible route to take on a clean surface .. bed liner. Comes in whatever colour you want these days, and is damn near bulletproof .... but we've all heard horror stories about it too. Probably best to keep that in your back pocket for doing a full "off frame" with all the lines and cables removed.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Smash

I think a lot depends where you live. Here in Philly winters are harsh and the salt can linger way into April. So I'm going with a brush on black rust protector. That's after removing all the rust with wire wheels, primer, Protector, then paint. Don't believe in that rust sealer where you take off the loose stuff & seal the rest in. Any job worth doing yadda, yadda. FYI the sealer is about $150 a gal. Either Eastwood or Chassis Black