Info Request: Windshield/Rear Window Resealing

Old July 4th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Info Request: Windshield/Rear Window Resealing

Gents

I have a 70 Cutlass "S", and from what I can tell the windshield and rear window haven't leaked enough yet to rot out the bottom areas of the glass channels. I plan to take my car to a local glass shop that also has a body shop business and have them take the windshield and rear window out, reseal, check for any rust, and reinstall.

My quick questions are:

Should they be able to safely remove and reinstall the glass without breakage? To be honest, the only glass I have had replaced were broken windows, so any further damage didn't matter. These pieces of glass are original to the car and are in great shape.

Is there a specific type of sealant I should insist on them using, or is this a universal deal? Seems in my research in the past here I have seen discussion on the type of sealant used 38 years ago compared to today. Hopefully I can have this done and be able to wash my car without any apprehension of water leaks!

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Frankenpez
Gents

I have a 70 Cutlass "S", and from what I can tell the windshield and rear window haven't leaked enough yet to rot out the bottom areas of the glass channels. I plan to take my car to a local glass shop that also has a body shop business and have them take the windshield and rear window out, reseal, check for any rust, and reinstall.

My quick questions are:

Should they be able to safely remove and reinstall the glass without breakage? To be honest, the only glass I have had replaced were broken windows, so any further damage didn't matter. These pieces of glass are original to the car and are in great shape.

Is there a specific type of sealant I should insist on them using, or is this a universal deal? Seems in my research in the past here I have seen discussion on the type of sealant used 38 years ago compared to today. Hopefully I can have this done and be able to wash my car without any apprehension of water leaks!

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Yes, with moderate care it is no problem to cut the adhesive and remove the windshield without damage. There is a special cutter tool that glass shops have, but music wire works fine also. I'm a big fan of the butyl tape for reinstalling the glass. If there's ANY evidence of rust (surface or otherwise) in the pinchweld, I would clean it off and apply POR-15 or similar treatment before reinstalling the glass. I'm very paranoid when it comes to pinchweld rust. I would also double check for scratched paint at the trim clip locations and touch that up at the same time.