69 rear inner outer wheel house questions

Old January 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM

69 rear inner outer wheel house questions

my 69 has rust all around the edges or the rear wheel houses(inner and outer). they are crazy expensive 116 a piece. Does anyone sell just the lip or patch? Really dont want to blow 500 bucks on these. I dont think there is any way to make patch due to all the curves, anyone have other ideas
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Hey Cut123,

I had to buy complete outer wheel housing for my 68. No patches were available that I could fine. You could use a metal shrinker/stretcher to form flat stock yourself but in the end cost and time wise, you are probably better off just buying the wheel housing and cutting out what you need. I wanna say I spend around $225 -$250 for both housings shipped. You may also wanna check your lower inner wheel housing and trunk dropoff directly behind wheels for rust thru.

Hope my reply helps and good luck.
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Hurts....

I agree it does hurt, but it is the only way to do it right, I ordered both outers and I need very little it seems that seems to hurt more, In the Bad old Days, LOL, before restoration madness took everyone by storm, I remember having a 67 Nova, and we wanted to arch the wheel well some to allow bigger meats ( this was before narrowed 9's, sub frames etc were common, they were crazy expensive back then) we used to bend some electrical conduit pipe, and braze it to the wheel house and the fender and allow a nice rounded edge to the wheel well, we did finish it off, brazed it all nice and tight. nowadays that is sacrilege LOL.... but many a hot rod had that done back in the day.

unless your mig welding properly, and have the tools and know how to form the metal I can pretty well guarentee the rust will be back... as has been said many times if you can't afford to fix it right the first time how can you fix it right the second time, extend your time frame and get the housings... IMHO
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:40 PM
jfb

contact copper cutlass he said a while back there was a couple of good yards in kankakee i believe. I would suggest alabama or hidden valley auto parts in arizona not dvap in arizona. put up a post for needing good used parts on this site also maybe with enough time you can save a few bucks and finish in the spring.