Springs and vehicle carrying height

Old June 17th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Talking Springs and vehicle carrying height

My next project for my 1972 Cutlass is to replace the springs. I hate, really hate the way my cutlass sits, its so low in the back, partially covering the top of the back tire. A friend of mine said I should go with Chevy springs. I know that I will be eventually doing the engine, maybe next year. I want to change both the front and rear to lift the car back to a normal height, but not sure what normal would be and hoping that I can get the back tire to show completely, providing that no one is sitting in the back. I have no idea what kind of specs I need or what they mean when everyone is referring to the springs on this site. I am pretty sure I have the stock springs on there. Can someone help me? I have a 350 rocket in the car. Can you explain what type I may need and any specifics about the spring, I read a little and thinking that I should go with the moog (?) springs? But what do all the numbers mean and how do I know which ones are best? I am completely lost when it comes to this. Thank you all so much!
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Kjr442

The last time I needed springs I went to Napa Auto Parts and ordered for a 72 442, this works try it. You can try Year One I have had good luck with them Too! Good luck.
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This is the way to measure the height of your Olds:

- Eric
Attached Images
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM

I used the proper heavy duty spring for my vert and the height is just right or maybe a tad higher than I expected.
Moog springs are favored on this site due to positive experience.
Order them for an Olds - not a chevy.
If you want a soother ride, get the standard springs, which i found to be the same rate as the 442's springs - moog 6321
If you want a firmer ride and want to carry extra people or trunk cargo, use moog 5385.

Here is what I did to my 72......
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post167869

After respringing, the rear was lifted back to stock height or maybe a tad higher.
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:48 PM

You are all so amazing.. thank you so much for all the information.. I can't wait to do this!
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM

I recently put four new heavy duty springs and replaced the 20 year old "Western Auto" shocks on my 72 Cutlass convertible. It did exactly what you are asking. Got the back up about 3 inches and above the tires. The original springs were like a slinky. Really improved the sway-factor in the ride too.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM

Hi Rob, would I get the same springs for the front and the back or should the front be different? Thank you!
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM

i just replaced the springs on my 72 hardtop and now the 72 convertible is next. I'm debating on getting them locally or ordering them. Chances are I'm going to order them.Keep me posted on what you come up with. We're both in the bay so we could share a few ideas.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Projectheaven, nice that your in the bay. I think I am actually going to drive up to Summit in Reno and purchase them from there rather than ordering them.
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jannebill
Projectheaven, nice that your in the bay. I think I am actually going to drive up to Summit in Reno and purchase them from there rather than ordering them.
Sounds good. I drove up there 2 weeks ago and bought a few things for my Chevelle. I did buy a Holley carb and fender covers for the convertible though.
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jannebill
Hi Rob, would I get the same springs for the front and the back or should the front be different?
The fronts are WAY different - over 3x the spring rate and totally different physical size.

The fronts are also a complete pain in the posterior to replace.
The rears? As easy as changing a tire, if not easier!

Replace the rubber spring isolators when you are changing your rear springs. If you order the Moogs, there will be a pair in the box, one per spring - they go on the tops.
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Jannebill, from your pic it looks like you live in the east bay, Richtown if im correct. You dont need to drive all the way up to Reno to purchase springs for your cutty. theres 2 speed shops in the bay that can help you out and also match Scummit prices. i used to work at one of them in South San Francisco. The other is in Hayward. I got years of exp. with auto parts and i wrench on my own cars, so if you have any questions, dont be shy.