Paint Job Price-reality check needed

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Paint Job Price-reality check needed

Heres the situation. The project has gone too far. I have the car stipped to the shell, and there is no rust. My paint guy is telling me for him to paint it, will be 4-5k. Then materials are gonna be another 1k. Thats with me stripping the paint off and everything and I already did most of the disassembly. Keep in mind, hes painting the frame, brackets, underbody ...everything. I paid top dollar forA RUST FREE car and its still expensive to paibt....Any other experiences? I live in the buffalo, NY area.

One more thing, this guy does really nice...show quality work.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM

You may have hit the key when you said "show quality" A friend had the frame to her car sand blasted and powder coated for $750. Then a nice driver quality paint job for $2500 including assembly and all materials. Not a show car, but a really nice driver that I wouldn't be afraid to enter in a car show. For a daily driver, I would rather not spend the extra money for a show quality paint job. But that's me... you have to decide how nice you want the car to be and much money your willing to spend to go from say a 90 point car to a 100 point. That's my 2 cents worth! John
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
Past Administrator

Just my 2 cents. I did the prep work on my '69 Delta and wish I hadn't. Not that I was not carefull or was stupid but I did it with what I had where I was, which was no compressed air, all hand work in the middle of my driveway over a two week period. five years later, the paint is bubbled and places are rusting through and I think it is due to the prep work not the actual paint. There is a lot to be said for a nice clean, dry environment and good air tools to do the work quickly.