Need a good vinyl top wax

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Need a good vinyl top wax

I have a 1977 Delta 88 Pace car with a great vinyl top. Since it is the original top, I'd like to keep it looking good. I had used a liquid type of wax many years ago, when it seemed like all cars had these tops. But today, I can't seem to find anything in the stores for this purpose. All I see is Armor All, which is nothing but a dust magnet. Turtle Wax used to make it as a clear sticky liquid. Worked great too! ANyone know of a good vinyl top wax available today in stores? Thanks! - Al
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Since I haven't had a car with a vinyl top in a long time, I had not thought about that. I used to use the Turtle Wax Vinyl Top Dressing. I don't remember if I ever tried it but one of the things I remember hearing was to use liquid floor wax like one of the products from Johnson Wax. I think Clear was one of them. I don't know if they even make the stuff any more. One other thing might be one of the clear tire dressings. If I were going to do one of these, I would try a small spot first.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Past Administrator

I bet there is a commercial product available and the place to look would be the local auto detailer (if you city has one).
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Had bought some fancy stuff at the Iola car show cant recall the name worked ok ran out,before I put it in winter storage I bought some Son of a Gun and Son of gun it really worked.Cant wait to get it out next week.1977(98)
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

It's all the same stuff.

ArmorAll, Turtle Wax, Meguiar's, Mother's, etc. If you go to any auto parts store there are 20 different products made for vinyl & ruber, and they are basically the same stuff. Some are greasier than others & might last longer. Lord (the people who make all of the auto body adhesives & epoxies) now makes a tire dressing that supposedly lasts 6 months. If it works on tires, it works on vinyl tops. Personally, I would rip it off & paint it.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ijasond
Lord (the people who make all of the auto body adhesives & epoxies) .....
I think Dupont, 3M, and Dow would have something to say about that statement.

I am going to take the top off my 72, and paint it as well. The window channels are gone and it rains inside the car. The person who put the replacement top on my car did it wrong, and got the pillar seams inverted...the upper is supposed to overlap the lower to allow water to shed away from the seam. Some smacked *** did it opposite so the top goes UNDER the pillar and water just runs right in there...and rotted it all away. i found out it will cost nearly the same amount of $$ either way. $1500 to fix and paint it or $1200 for a new top

John