Painting Black 70-72 Plastic Inner Fenders SEM Flame Red? - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Chassis, Tires/Wheels, Brakes, & Related > Chassis/Body/Frame
Painting Black 70-72 Plastic Inner Fenders SEM Flame Red? >

Painting Black 70-72 Plastic Inner Fenders SEM Flame Red?

Painting Black 70-72 Plastic Inner Fenders SEM Flame Red?

Reply

 
 
 
Old October 28th, 2018, 08:24 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
4speed455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 696
Painting Black 70-72 Plastic Inner Fenders SEM Flame Red?

I remember reading on ROP a few years ago about painting black 70-72 plastic inner fenders red with SEM paint to look like w30 inner fenders. Of course that info was lost many crashes ago. If I remember it was Flame Red. I have a nice set of black inner fenders that I was planning on doing this too. I just wanted to check if anybody has had success with this. I have heard of using oven cleaner to clean the plastic. Iím just not sure if that would be a good way to prep before paint. Also if Iím painting with SEM paint should I sand out any scratches before paint? Iím hoping somebody else has done this before and can give me some advise.
4speed455 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:02 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, TX (Houston)
Posts: 44
I have refinished 2 sets of Cutlass inner fenders with SEM black and they have held up very well, one since 2001. Red should work well, but you will probably have to have it mixed at a SEM dealer. I used their Color Coat brand and Sand Free Adhesion Promoter for the primer for ABS plastic. Both in aerosol cans. I believe I used 1 can of Sand Free and 3 or 4 cans of Color Coat.

I have discovered that Easy Off in the yellow can is great for removing paint and grease, It contains Lye plus itís cheap. Keep a water hose handy in case you get it on your skin. Oven cleaner and/or a pressure washer should be your first step to clean the inner fenders. Be careful with the pressure washer, it can cut into the ABS surface. Start with the bottom side in case your too aggressive, it won't show as much as the top. Rinse the oven cleaner with a water hose. If grease and paint are still there, repeat. You can use a brush with the over cleaner to help.
Use Simple Green or Pine-Sol to finish cleaning.

Mine had some scratches in the surface. Wet sand with 1000 or finer paper. Donít use anything coarser or you will scratch the surface.

Follow the instructions on the SEM site to the letter. The 1st coat of Color Coat is applied while the Sand Free is still wet. You will need to do this in sections.

Good luck,


This picture was taken in 2016. The SEM was applied in 2001. They have a nice satin look and have held up very well.

Last edited by SWinner; October 29th, 2018 at 10:05 PM.
SWinner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 08:10 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
4speed455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by SWinner View Post
I have refinished 2 sets of Cutlass inner fenders with SEM black and they have held up very well, one since 2001. Red should work well, but you will probably have to have it mixed at a SEM dealer. I used their Color Coat brand and Sand Free Adhesion Promoter for the primer for ABS plastic. Both in aerosol cans. I believe I used 1 can of Sand Free and 3 or 4 cans of Color Coat.

I have discovered that Easy Off in the yellow can is great for removing paint and grease, It contains Lye plus itís cheap. Keep a water hose handy in case you get it on your skin.
Oven cleaner and/or a pressure washer should be your first step to clean the inner fenders. Be careful with the pressure washer, it can cut into the ABS surface. Start with the bottom side in case your too aggressive, it won't show as much as the top. Rinse the oven cleaner with a water hose. If grease and paint are still there, repeat. You can use a brush with the over cleaner to help. Use Simple Green or Pine-Sol to finish cleaning.

Mine had some scratches in the surface. Wet sand with 1000 or finer paper. Donít use anything coarser or you will scratch the surface.

Follow the instructions on the SEM site to the letter.

Good luck,
I appreciate the advise. Any pictures?

So the plan is, I will go with the easy off and simple green then scuff it with fine sand paper before I hit it with the Sand Free primer. The Flame red does come in the Color Coat cans so Iím good there too. Since Iím going from black to red do you think 4 cans will be enough? Has anybody else done a color change on the inner fenders?
4speed455 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:10 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, TX (Houston)
Posts: 44
4speed455
Picture and additional notes added to original post. You might call the SEM support line and ask how many cans of red to cover black.
SWinner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2018, 12:19 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
4speed455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 696
So apparently my inner fenders have been painted at some point. It looks like they were painted while in the car so only the area visible has paint. The simple green, plastic scrapers and easy off works very good at removing everything down to the bare plastic, except the paint. Any recommendations on what to use to remove the paint without damaging the plastic. I’m not worried about discoloring because it looks like the plastic under the paint is already discolored, and I’m going to paint over it anyways. I plan on scuff the inner fenders before paint with green scotch bright pads, would that be too course? Should I use the scotch bright to remove the paint. The one thing I do not want to do is leave deep scratches that will be visible after paint.
4speed455 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 02:30 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, TX (Houston)
Posts: 44
4speed, Do you have any idea the type of paint? Aerosol can or automotive body paint? How much it there? Post a picture.

Easy off in the yellow can contains sodium hydroxide (lye - caustic soda). There are basically 3 types of paint remover available at most hardware stores. A caustic like lye, solvent based and biochemical. I would stay away from the solvent based on any plastic.

All strippers take time and a little scrubbing and scraping to get off the toughest and thickest. I would typically let the caustic stay on over night. You also don't want it to dry out, it needs to stay wet. Some will lay a film of plastic over the lye to keep it from drying out.

See http://www.paintpro.net/Articles/PP3..._strippers.cfm for more detailed info.

Good luck,
SWinner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 03:05 PM
  #7  
Gary
 
gh5168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 942
Originally Posted by 4speed455 View Post
I remember reading on ROP a few years ago about painting black 70-72 plastic inner fenders red with SEM paint to look like w30 inner fenders. Of course that info was lost many crashes ago. If I remember it was Flame Red. I have a nice set of black inner fenders that I was planning on doing this too. I just wanted to check if anybody has had success with this. I have heard of using oven cleaner to clean the plastic. Iím just not sure if that would be a good way to prep before paint. Also if Iím painting with SEM paint should I sand out any scratches before paint? Iím hoping somebody else has done this before and can give me some advise.
I tried changing colors on my inners from black to red. Put a lot of time effort and money trying to do so. I sanded them down first with 600 wet and then used epoxy primer on them. I let them dry overnite and then I used the Sem Flame paint about 3 cans on each inner. Yes it looked good but any bump or scrape is going to flake that paint off. I never put them on the car because in just handling them the paint was scratching. Just a waste of time in my opinion. I ended up buying a set from The Parts Place. These were for my 68. I put a lot of hours in trying to change the color on those inner fender wells but it just was not worth it. Maybe you can have better luck than I did. Good luck
gh5168 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 03:19 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 4,084
Originally Posted by gh5168 View Post
I tried changing colors on my inners from black to red. Put a lot of time effort and money trying to do so. I sanded them down first with 600 wet and then used epoxy primer on them. I let them dry overnite and then I used the Sem Flame paint about 3 cans on each inner. Yes it looked good but any bump or scrape is going to flake that paint off. I never put them on the car because in just handling them the paint was scratching. Just a waste of time in my opinion. I ended up buying a set from The Parts Place. These were for my 68. I put a lot of hours in trying to change the color on those inner fender wells but it just was not worth it. Maybe you can have better luck than I did. Good luck
I've been thinking about painting mine too. You just made my mind up to by a repro set.
Thanks!
allyolds68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 05:25 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, TX (Houston)
Posts: 44
Arrow

Originally Posted by gh5168 View Post
I tried changing colors on my inners from black to red. Put a lot of time effort and money trying to do so. I sanded them down first with 600 wet and then used epoxy primer on them. I let them dry overnite and then I used the Sem Flame paint about 3 cans on each inner.
4speed, Follow the SEM instructions on there web site. Color Coat does not adhere to epoxy. Color Coat must be applied while the Sand Free Adhesion Promoter is still WET.

Sand Free:............ https://www.semproducts.com/manage/h..._sand_free.pdf

Color Coat:............https://vinnybyrne-jlcl7yt4p8acxzg.n...color_coat.pdf

All SEM Products:.. http://www.semproducts.com/manage/ht...GLISH_0116.pdf

Follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine. I did mine 19 years ago and they look perfect. I also did the same to my console, lower dash and lower arm rest with the same results.

Don't give up. SEM products are the very best for plastics.
Give SEM a call. There number is in the links.
SWinner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 03:17 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
bccan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 562
There is an aerosol “bumper stripper” available from auto body suppliers that will likely remove paint from your liners. It might even be a SEM product but can’t remember. The paint that is on there is most likely from a spray bomb & should come off pretty easily. You might even be able to wash it off w/ lacquer thinner or even brake clean, maybe help yourself with a very fine (white) scotch bright pad to help get it off without leaving visible scratches.
bccan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 05:12 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fuquay Varina NC
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by SWinner View Post
4speed, Follow the SEM instructions on there web site. Color Coat does not adhere to epoxy. Color Coat must be applied while the Sand Free Adhesion Promoter is still WET.

Sand Free:............ https://www.semproducts.com/manage/h..._sand_free.pdf

Color Coat:............https://vinnybyrne-jlcl7yt4p8acxzg.n...color_coat.pdf

All SEM Products:.. http://www.semproducts.com/manage/ht...GLISH_0116.pdf

Follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine. I did mine 19 years ago and they look perfect. I also did the same to my console, lower dash and lower arm rest with the same results.

Don't give up. SEM products are the very best for plastics.
Give SEM a call. There number is in the links.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I painted mine Red 5 plus years ago following this procedure. Still looks great.
Sampson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 07:50 AM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
4speed455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post



THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I painted mine Red 5 plus years ago following this procedure. Still looks great.
Any pictures? How many cans did it take to cover the black?
4speed455 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 06:18 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fuquay Varina NC
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by 4speed455 View Post


Any pictures? How many cans did it take to cover the black?
As I remember it only took a couple cans of paint. I also wet sanded with 800-1500 sand paper to get rid of any orange peal and to degoss a bit. This car is a driver with 5'years and 15k miles since I did these. Not perfect but they have held up pretty good. I should also note that I left the underside black so not sure how the paint would hold up to rock chips from the tires.




Sampson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 11:36 AM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
4speed455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Modesto CA
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post


As I remember it only took a couple cans of paint. I also wet sanded with 800-1500 sand paper to get rid of any orange peal and to degoss a bit. This car is a driver with 5'years and 15k miles since I did these. Not perfect but they have held up pretty good. I should also note that I left the underside black so not sure how the paint would hold up to rock chips from the tires.




Thanks for the pics Sampson, those look great! Looks like a I will be going ahead with this project. $100 in material and some elbow grease will give me the same look as the $500 reproduction inner fenders. Seeing how my car is not really a W machine or even a 442 for that matter I think this will be good enough.
4speed455 is online now  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vickycar
General Discussion
4
May 8th, 2017 03:19 PM
69442
Cutlass
2
June 4th, 2015 06:25 PM
brown7373
Cutlass
2
March 8th, 2014 04:49 PM
jensenracing77
General Discussion
15
January 9th, 2012 07:38 AM
72rocket
Chassis/Body/Frame
8
January 13th, 2008 03:39 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting Black 70-72 Plastic Inner Fenders SEM Flame Red?


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.