Rebuilding 1973 Cutlass S door hinges

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2017, 05:40 AM

Rebuilding 1973 Cutlass S door hinges

I am trying to rebuild the door hinges on my 73, I order the repair kit from Fusick, but I need to also replace the detent and rollers and they don't list them in the catalog for a 73. I can't seem to find they anywhere. Can anyone tell where I can get the Detent and rollers for the upper hinges?
Tks
Terry
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:34 AM

6342 Roller hinge pin. FMSI automotive hardware.
http://catalog.fmsiinc.com/viewitems...teel-door-pins
I copied this post from the 73-77 Olds forum it explains that you need to cut the 6342 roller pin, remove the roller and splined pin and use it on the old roller pin in your car after removing the original roller. Apparently the HELP section at the auto parts has the Chevy truck roller pin also.

Todd, I replaced both rollers on my 77 but I didnt use old parts, here is what I found works and is readily available. Most parts stores sell a door hinge pin with the roller and bushing on it, however the pin as a whole is not for our application BUT the roller and bushing is ! I bought 2 of these pins with the rollers and took one apart to find out how it works. the roller is held in place by a smaller splined pin. So what I did was cut the major part of the pin about 3/4 of an inch below the roller, after its cut you can see that there is a pin in the pin and you can use a punch to tap the roller and the small retaining pin out without damaging it. So then to install it in your hinge you have to remove the damaged roller and pin, you can use a punch or chisel and tap it right out. It comes out pretty easy. Then take your new roller, bushing and small splined pin and tap it into your pin. You can do this on the car, but i did mine when I was replacing the bushings and pins on all my hinges. The donor hinge pin and roller was for a chevy truck. You can check it out at the parts stores they usually have them on the rack or shelf somewhere. Let me know how you make out. Dave

Hope this helps you.