69 Conv Rear 1/4 Window Guide Roller Installation?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM

69 Conv Rear 1/4 Window Guide Roller Installation?

I dug into a problem today that I noticed last fall. The right rear 1/4 window weatherstrip channel was hitting the door jam seal so the window wouldn't raise all the way. I grabbed my Fisher body manual and started my adventure of removing the rear seat, rear 1/4 arm rest, and side cover. When I finally got into the window regulator I found one of the guide rollers was broken (white plastic rollers bolted to the glass). I have seen those for sale but can't remember where, but my question is it looks like I need a spanner type socket to use on my torque wrench to install the roller nut attached @ 6ftlbs torque to the glass. Are these spanner sockets for these special nuts available or do I need to build one?

Thanks,
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Most Cutlass and Camaro parts have them. Fusick has the lower center one I know - it is different from the side rollers.. Do you need a side roller? I saw the side rollers at the Camaro shops (like Firewheel Classics), as the Cutlass shops do not carry them for some odd reason.

Yep, you need to buy or make (easy) a wrench. The parts shops sell them, too. I was cheap, so I was able to use channel lock pliers on the edge of the nut - worked fine. Of course it was closest to the pillar vent so i did not have to take everything apart...
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM

I can get at this roller pretty easy throught the vent also so I will try a channel lock, or maybe try and make a tool if that doesn't work. Also a company called Paddock has the roller kit in stock.

Another problem I have is the chrome trim that is attached to the 1/4 window came loose from the glass. I tried to glue it back on to the window with 3M weatherstrip adhesive but that didn't stick. Does anyone know who to attach this trim piese to the glass? It is the one that holds the 1/4 window weatherstrip.

Thanks,
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM

window tool

you might need one of these:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Fastener...34?_nkw=roller

If you email this seller and state your year, make and all that stuff. He will answer you if he has it, or not. It just might not be listed at this time. I got this tool and the rollers I needed from him. Fast, and fair price. My rollers were fussed at the threads, I used a wood clamp hold the tool while I tapped it with a rubber hammer to get it loose. I took the glass out. I also, got wiring connectors-terminals from them when I redid my fuse box.
I thought the chrome on the 1/4 glass is pressed on. If it is off? Maybe try mashing it together a little and then putting it on. Unless the rubber that holds the glass is gone?

Last edited by hamm36; April 4th, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM

For the price of that tool I think I will get one and try that. I am going to try and do this repair without taking the glass out of the car. I will just have to be carefull not to over tighten the nut on installation and break it. I am famous for over torquing and in this case I won't be able to use my torque wrench unless I modify that tool. 6 ftlbs is called for so that isn't to much.

Also the rubber in my window trim is shot now that I put adhesive on it. I will try and tighten the chrome a little and try it again with the old rubber, or get new rubber, maybe gasket material?

Thanks,
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Putting the nuts back on will not be a problem - hand tight, getting them off might be. While waiting for the tool soak it with Liquid Wrench, or Blaster. Don't get to frustrated just take the glass out, if you have too. I really had to put some force to get mine off almost striped the tools teeth off. I hope it works out for you. Looks like you got a nice ride there.
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Thanks that is a good idea, I will soak the threads while I wait for the tool and parts. I also saw where a past owner already replace one roller, but this one I am working on looks like it has been on there for a while. Now that I have tore every thing apart I am also replacing the rear 1/4 window belt weather stripping on the inside of the glass and possibly the wind lacing on the inside of the doors. The smallest jobs always end up getting bigger and costing more money.

Regards,
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
The smallest jobs always end up getting bigger and costing more money. Regards,
Just say, N.

How did the roller replacement go?