1964 wagon frame

Old August 27th, 2017, 03:36 PM

1964 wagon frame

I know where a 64 olds Vista Cruiser wagon is for sale for 800.00. But the frame is rusted out bad, and all floor pans are gone! the roof is sold as a rock, windows are all there, no cracks, and no rust around them. This is a two part question, can I get new replacement panels, and a frame for this car? or if I cut the floors the rest of way out, can the wagon body be put over a newer cars frame and floors? Like grafting two cars to make one. I know anything can be done with enough money and time, time I have money I don't. Anyone know what other cars would have same wheel base and maybe fit? I have been told 64-67 GM wagons are the same wheelbase 120", is this correct?

sorry, just found some threads that address this, will check them out. but If anyone wants to reply, feel free.

Last edited by Rustbucket2; August 27th, 2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

You've been told wrong.

Only the Vista Cruiser and Buick Sport Wagon used the 120" wheelbase. All other A-body wagons in those years used the same 115" wheelbase as the coupes and sedans. Also, VC and Sport Wagon frames are boxed, other wagons are not. And finally, the frames are not the same from 64-67 due to changes in the core support and radiator configuration. Also, only the 1967 frames have the extended crossmember tabs for the TH400 position.

As for sheetmetal, the front floors are the same as on all other 64-67 A-bodies. The floor pans from the front seat backward are unique to the VC and Sport Wagon. The extra 5" of wheelbase is in the back seat footwell, and the floor pan for the third seat footwell is unique as well.

Sorry, but even if you get this car for free, it won't be financially viable to rebuild it. You'll pretty much need to buy a second complete parts car and mate the good parts of the two.
Old August 28th, 2017, 09:41 AM

Thanks Joe,
I know the cost would be crazy to fix up, when I looked at it, my plan was to cut it up and make a 2 door wagon out of it, just to see if I could do it. And if I screwed it up, I could sale the parts from it, and get some of my money back.
Old August 28th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
Thanks Joe,
I know the cost would be crazy to fix up, when I looked at it, my plan was to cut it up and make a 2 door wagon out of it, just to see if I could do it. And if I screwed it up, I could sale the parts from it, and get some of my money back.
I that case, you don't want the full 120" wheelbase frame anyway. What you really want is a Sport Coupe to use the longer 2dr doors and the 115" frame. Actually, you'd probably want a boxed convertible frame.