Ball joint quality

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2017, 05:29 AM

Ball joint quality

Has any one used XRF brand ball joints? Their website makes them sound good, but it really never says they are USA made. Found a pair of lower USA Moogs for Vistacruiser through Oreillys, but are $124 each.
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Moog ball joints on Rockauto are $18.10/upper and $20.79/ lower.
Old January 15th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Moog ball joints on Rockauto are $18.10/upper and $20.79/ lower.
I don't understand why people don't take the time to check prices on RockAuto. Even if you don't want to buy the parts there, at least see what pricing looks like. The classic example is the Anchor/Pioneer motor mounts. Vendors sell these (in the original Anchor or Pioneer boxes) for $35 or so each. RA sells them for about $4-$7.

Do, however, be aware of errors in the RA listings. As an example, for a while they showed the Vista as using the ball joints from the full size cars, which is not correct. Vistas are A-body cars like any other Cutlass of the same year. The correct Moog part numbers are K5103 and K5108.
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:18 AM

Yeah, I know that they sell Moogs a lot cheaper than $124, Oreillys does also. The problem is that Moog products are now produced in more than 12 countries, including China. So you don't know what you're getting until you see the box, or maybe it's stamped on the product. Even then, items are sometimes re-boxed. Trying to get away from Chinesium.
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I don't understand why people don't take the time to check prices on RockAuto. Even if you don't want to buy the parts there, at least see what pricing looks like.
While this is good advice, my experience with RA is that one needs to factor in shipping charges to arrive at the "real cost."

RA charges a separate shipping charge from each warehouse location. So theoretically one could order 2 ball joints and ea ships from a different warehouse and carries its own, separate shipping charge.
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator

While the shipping charges may sometimes be a factor, I've found that they have been the least expensive. I try and buy local and American made as much as I can, however there is a percentage of the increased cost that I am willing to absorb. I also look at Amazon as a prime member there is free shipping and usually the part will arrive in 2 days.
Old January 15th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
While this is good advice, my experience with RA is that one needs to factor in shipping charges to arrive at the "real cost."

RA charges a separate shipping charge from each warehouse location. So theoretically one could order 2 ball joints and ea ships from a different warehouse and carries its own, separate shipping charge.
Of course you need to do this, but here in northern VA, the RA shipping costs are usually a wash with the local sales tax. Once you select an item, RA also highlights items that ship from the same warehouse to minimize total cost.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by lonestarjarhead
Yeah, I know that they sell Moogs a lot cheaper than $124, Oreillys does also. The problem is that Moog products are now produced in more than 12 countries, including China. So you don't know what you're getting until you see the box, or maybe it's stamped on the product. Even then, items are sometimes re-boxed. Trying to get away from Chinesium.

If that's your true goal, then convert to Howe adjustable/rebuildable ball joints. They are pretty amazing, and truly USA designed and made.
SC&C sells them with much better dust boots. The boots direct from Howe don't work very well.
I'm pretty certain there's no stock application suspension part made in U.S. Aftermarket versions (e.g., tubular arms), sure. But stock replacement? No. The guys are Proforged wrote a good post on another board about the true supply chain.

XRF doesn't advertise manufacturing location anywhere, but obliquely mention "manufacturing partners". Maybe it's a better ball joint than a MOOG, maybe not.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:37 AM

A body lower ball joints are press-in and so replacements will be oversize. Since the cars are about 50 years old, some replacements are double or triple oversize. Mike the joints and try to find the next size needed; they will press in a lot easier and leave room for a future rebuild.
Old January 16th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Of course you need to do this, but here in northern VA, the RA shipping costs are usually a wash with the local sales tax. Once you select an item, RA also highlights items that ship from the same warehouse to minimize total cost.
I've found this too.
I also use that information to throw back parts that could be selected from compatible warehouses. Shipping costs from RA are very affordable IMO and on par with Inline tube.

Momma always said to shop around if y'all want the best deal. That's incredibly true, but most peeps lack the motivation or knowledge to do that and take the first thing they find, regardless of price. Then, they bitch about it. This site has lots of good info about parts suppliers - good and bad.