1972 Cutlass and body bushings questions

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2016, 01:10 PM

1972 Cutlass and body bushings questions

I recently bought a 72 Cutlass and think one of the body bushings on the driver side is shot. Soon, I have read some info about changing them out. My concerns are finding the frame rusted and having to have a washer welded onto the frame or breaking off the caged nut.

At present I do not weld or have a welder . We actually are gonna be moving to another state in the spring and do not want to have to take the frame off the body at this time.

My questions are 1) Is there anything I can do temporarily until we get moved such as maybe wedge a rubber pad in between the body and the frame?

2) If I hire this out any idea costwise to replace the bushings ? To repair the frame if the frame is rusted or rusting out at that point? Just curious as to what my options are at that point .Thanks in advance.

I do see where they sell the body mount repair kits , so I can assume this is a common repair.

Last edited by budg; October 30th, 2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old October 30th, 2016, 02:59 PM
72 Olds CS

Any pics of the affected area? I would say depends on the severity, if I had one bushing that the mount needed a washer I wouldn't worry and would take care of it in the spring, if the frame was paper thin and several bushings were poked thru I would be more concerned.

Idk what it would cost to have a shop replace them but it's a body off proposition, you might have to hunt around trying to find someone who is willing to do it, but if you DIY it would only cost you a couple hundred for bushings and misc parts.

If you can get a few pics it would be easier to advise.
Old October 30th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks retro. I am gonna try to get it in the air and take a really good look at it. I will snap some pics too.
Old October 30th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Administrator

The bushings are not that expensive and are not that hard to replace if the bolts come out easily. An impact wrench is the way to go but it can be done with a ratchet. If you break the bolt or the cage nut you can cut a hole in the floor, remove the pieces and replace with a nut and heavy washers. If your frame is rotted then yout going to have to make a decision at that point.
Old October 31st, 2016, 06:58 AM

Thanks , I found the bushing kit online . I am gonna take a really close look at it hopefully tonite and post a pic or two. I would have some reservations about using an impact on those bolts as they are 44 yr old bolts and I would be concerned about breaking them off.

From my experience a long handled 1/2 " drive ratchet with tons of pb blaster and a boatload of patience might work better. There's probably still a good chance they may spin loose, but if I can save them all the better.
Old October 31st, 2016, 10:28 AM

Well I had to snap a pic of the bushing and it looks like it rusted snd is pushing the body bushing deeper into the hole. The frame is pitted , but appears to be solid otherwise.

So I am guessing that the only permanent remedy is to remove the body from the frame and repair the body mounts . With that much trouble it seems as the way to go is do them all .

Last edited by budg; October 31st, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
Photoshop God

I drilled small holes above each bolt and sprayed Kroil in them for several weeks prior to trying to remove them. We still broke 3 or 4. I'm in Illinois, but the car hasn't been on the road since the early 80s. The frame was in great shape, except for where some of the mounts were. My son welds, so it was pretty easy for me. He marked the area the washers would go, then used an air grinder to cut out the metal and weld washers in. Don't buy the washer "kit" from the resto places. Buy them at Fastenall, The part number is in this post of my build thread.

What state are you moving to?
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DewChugr
I drilled small holes above each bolt and sprayed Kroil in them for several weeks prior to trying to remove them. We still broke 3 or 4. I'm in Illinois, but the car hasn't been on the road since the early 80s. The frame was in great shape, except for where some of the mounts were. My son welds, so it was pretty easy for me. He marked the area the washers would go, then used an air grinder to cut out the metal and weld washers in. Don't buy the washer "kit" from the resto places. Buy them at Fastenall, The part number is in this post of my build thread.

What state are you moving to?
Good to know . I cant imagine a washer is a complicated thing .They make so many different sizes. I will be moving to Wisconsin.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:27 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by budg
Good to know . I cant imagine a washer is a complicated thing .They make so many different sizes. I will be moving to Wisconsin.
When you see what the resto places sell them for you'll be shocked. I paid less than 60 cents a piece I think.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:48 PM

Yeah dont get me started on restoration parts prices. Some things are just crazy high. Washers are one example.