66 cutlass front coil placement

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2016, 05:50 PM

66 cutlass front coil placement

I have a 66 Cutlass convertible. I just replaced all of the front suspension except the coils.Everything is tight but I have a rattle on the driver's side.Does the lower control arm have a certain place that the lower end of the spring should sit in? Any help would be appreciated.
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Yes there is an inspection hole in the spring pocket. The end of the spring should be close to it. Have you checked your frame to body bushings?
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sortasane
I have a 66 Cutlass convertible. I just replaced all of the front suspension except the coils.Everything is tight but I have a rattle on the driver's side.Does the lower control arm have a certain place that the lower end of the spring should sit in? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm assuming you mean you replaced all the bushings and ball joints, so the springs were out at one point. You probably realize that the ends of the front springs are different. The flat ground end goes up into the frame pocket. This is a difficult installation since it is blind and thus easy to get the spring out of position as you compress it with the lower control arm. Also, as noted, the lower coil needs to sit in the pocket in the LCA at the correct rotational position The pocket is contoured to accept the pigtail of the spring. Your Chassis Service Manual shows this.
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:11 AM

Not on a 64-67! Both spring ends are the same (tangential). The end at the top fits into a seat, and there is an inspection hole in the frame pocket under the upper A arm. There also are holes in the lower arm's pocket and the bottom end should be between them, or depending on how an aftermarket spring is made, it can be just past them but still in the pocket. Some coils are up to 2" longer than an integral number of coils, some are a bit shorter than that.
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Irregardless, the spring position will not cause a rattle. There is something else wrong.
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:35 PM

I am going to go ahead and embarrass myself with this one. I did good on the front end. It sounded just like the front until I opened the driver's door. It was the driver side axle bearing. Replaced them and everything is great now except the egg on my face.