76 Cutlass Steering column

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2016, 12:35 AM

76 Cutlass Steering column

This thing has been bugging me for long. For my eyes it seems that steering column on my Cutlass is not straight on body line front-to-rear, its angled a bit towards driver side door.

I inspected under hood, there is no signs of collision anywhere, i checked the attachment of steering column inside the car By taking the trim-panel off under the steering column, and the bracket there also seems to be untouched; i also checked the bracket and intermediate shaft for collapsing by service manual instructions. They turned to be okay.

Theres also a little "notch" on interior plastic between gauges which makes me think is this just a design? I cannot find anything about this subject neither from service manual, assembly manual or internet.

This picture is general sight from drivers seat

This is the "notch" on plastic which makes me think this is By design and everything is as it should?

And this if from the other side, no notches here. Also as you compare these two last pics, the thickness of plastic is also different from other side, on right theres plenty of plastic between gauge and steering-column cut, and on left theres just a thin strip,
ie. the steering-column cut-off is not centered between two gauges.

To add, there is nothing wrong in the drivability either; it just the look that bugs me is it supposed to be like that?

Last edited by Inline; April 4th, 2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:55 PM

I bought my 77 Cutlass Salon in June of 1977. I took it back a month later and asked why the steering column was crooked. Answer? That's the way it's made. The column has to clear the engine.
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Hookers under Hood

I never noticed this on my 76 supreme, I will have a look and let you know my findings by the weekend.
Its good to hear that it doesn't appear to be tampered with or in any type of collision, steers and drives good for you.
I hope to let you know by the weekend.

Eric
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
The column has to clear the engine.
Haha, Ya good answer, Pffft... they could have made the column clear me and the wife on a wild wild night.
Old April 4th, 2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
I bought my 77 Cutlass Salon in June of 1977. I took it back a month later and asked why the steering column was crooked. Answer? That's the way it's made. The column has to clear the engine.
Hmm okay.. Sounds legit

Originally Posted by 76olds
I never noticed this on my 76 supreme, I will have a look and let you know my findings by the weekend.
Its good to hear that it doesn't appear to be tampered with or in any type of collision, steers and drives good for you.
I hope to let you know by the weekend.

Eric

Thanks, let us know what you found.

Also, pics about wild night or didnt happen
Old April 5th, 2016, 06:22 PM

Mine has been offset since day one 25 years ago.
Every darn '76-77 I have sat in, same stupid off set steering column to gauge cluster/dash.

I need to get touch up for my column, over time, mine has rubbed the plastic some how.. Absolutely frustrating , but I have a additional story for another thread for the extra rubbing, let's just say it held good for a harsh impact once upon a time. The rub has become more noticeable over the past 10 years .. Even with adjustments...

Old April 5th, 2016, 10:34 PM

Thanks alot, so it is By desing and nothing to worry. Just about how it bugs me..