What coil spring compressors work best?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:35 PM

What coil spring compressors work best?

I have been trying to compress the coil springs on my 1956 olds 88 to get them back in. I've used this style with the central thread. https://www.google.com/search?q=coil...GRMPFNydP6K1M:

It did not work very well, I can't get it to compress straight. It always pulls to one side and then unloads the pressure from one of the hooks allowing it to slip off.

I am afraid to buy a set of spring compressors for fear of getting garbage.
What spring compressors have you guys had luck with in the past?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Have you just tried slipping the spring into the pocket and using a floor jack placed under the lower control arm?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
Olds Fever

I have two styles that I use... Clearance permitting, I prefer the compressor that clamps to the out edges, bottom view... If that doesn't work well, then I use the one similar to what you have already tried...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; May 2nd, 2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've managed to score one of the factory Burroughs Tool compressor tools that uses the lower control arm and upper shock mount to compress the spring. That is definitely the way to go. Since those are very difficult to find, you can make one with high-strength threaded rod and a thrust bearing or you can get this one from OTC.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Have you just tried slipping the spring into the pocket and using a floor jack placed under the lower control arm?
Yes, I have the engine and transmission out of the car right now. Whenever I life the lower control arm, the jack lifts the whole car before the spring compresses enough.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:50 AM

I'll give those outside spring compressors a try. If not I'll see if I can score the one you were talking about Joe. Thanks guys!
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ihatefiberglass
Yes, I have the engine and transmission out of the car right now. Whenever I life the lower control arm, the jack lifts the whole car before the spring compresses enough.
you can put a chain over the frame rail and under the jack to keep the car from lifting
Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:22 AM
Administrator

So much for that idea...
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:45 PM

Hey Joe, what's the model number on that spring compressor? I found this one here. I realize it's the same picture, just want to make sure it's not a generic picture used.

Amazon Amazon
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Hey Joe, what's the model number on that spring compressor? I found this one here. I realize it's the same picture, just want to make sure it's not a generic picture used.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7045B-Fro.../dp/B000GTJ5I8
That's the one. OTC is a respected brand.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:54 AM

I just did my front springs on my '70 and what a major pain in the a$$ those spring compressors are. The exterior mount won't work for a front spring. The internal one you posted will work but a) it doesn't fit right, b) doesn't fit well, c) barely collapses enough of the spring and d) kept sliding off the spring making it a relatively scary installation. Regardless, it did work but I would have preferred a better tool. I haven't used it but the one Joe recommended looks to be a FAR better design (and I'm sure if he's recommending it it's good )

Best of luck!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 96powerstroke
I just did my front springs on my '70 and what a major pain in the a$$ those spring compressors are. The exterior mount won't work for a front spring. The internal one you posted will work but a) it doesn't fit right, b) doesn't fit well, c) barely collapses enough of the spring and d) kept sliding off the spring making it a relatively scary installation. Regardless, it did work but I would have preferred a better tool. I haven't used it but the one Joe recommended looks to be a FAR better design (and I'm sure if he's recommending it it's good )

Best of luck!
I used the spring compressor Joe recommended a few days ago. Worth all $170, I did both springs in a little over an hour. The compressor has cast iron plates like you see in the picture that did not slip or pull to one side. The barrel nut and thrust washer make it really easy to compress compared to the cheaper designs.

The best part: there wasn't a time where I felt like I was going to kill myself or need to go to the hospital.

Last edited by Ihatefiberglass; May 22nd, 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:58 AM

I always feel like I'm setting a steel trap and something is going to trigger it when I least expect it. Usually a very tense time.... Tedd
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:13 AM

You can borrow one for FREE at Autozone. I do it everytime. Pay deposit -- get full refund on return. FREE IS GOOD!
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:39 PM

With the engine out I have used either 5/8" threaded rod, hardware grade, or 1/2" grade 5 rod with a thick plate covering the lower shock hole in the lower control arm, and the rod going through the upper shock hole in the frame. Most of the time, I use the Harbor Freight tool pictured above, and after I get the spring compressed and straight, I install two straps made of 3/16" x 1" wide steel with the ends bent over to fit a coil and hold the spring compressed while taking less room. I also make sure they are installed where I can remove them easily. By the way, use good grease on the threads of the rod!
Old May 28th, 2017, 06:32 AM

I've taken my springs to a local "spring" shop and had them compressed and banded. I then treat them like handling a live grenade. Once there all buttoned up, cut the bands.
Old December 30th, 2019, 04:49 PM

I used the spring compressor Joe recommended a few days ago. Worth all $170, I did both springs in a little over an hour. The compressor has cast iron plates like you see in the picture that did not slip or pull to one side. The barrel nut and thrust washer make it really easy to compress compared to the cheaper designs.
The best part: there wasn't a time where I felt like I was going to kill myself or need to go to the hospital.
Just used my OTC compressor again, this time for a spring install. Ditto on the security it provides. Worth every penny.