trunk wing info

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
cas

trunk wing info

I need some info on trunk wing. Anybody have any pics of one?
Were they all the same from 68 to 72?
Anybody have dimensions?
I have one I wanted to sell but I wanted to get an idea of what I have first.
the one I have came off a 69 lemans but I know it's not a pontiac wing.
Any help would be great.

thanks
chris
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM

Hi Chris
To my knowledge there was only one trunk wing used on the 69-72 models. They curve up on the ends where I believe the Pontiac and Buick both curve down. I don't have any good pictures but could take some this weekend if you haven't found pictures before then. You might try going to 442.com and viewing the different cars in the car show section and see if you can find one there. John
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
same but different

Click on this post at this site...nice photo or two of the wing.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...970-442-a.html

Can you take a pic of the wing you have? Maybe post here or email me, I"ll try to identify it.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
cas

thanks for the response guys. That looks just like the one that I have. How can I tell if the one that I have is an original olds piece as opposed to an aftermarket piece? Should there be any part numbers on it, I didn't see any.

Out of curiosity what is a used wing worth? $50-$75
I would like to sell it as I have no need for it.

chris
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:35 PM

Chris, if it's original and you ask $50-75 for it we'll be lining up to buy it! One difference I've seen with reproductions is that the original had three mounting studs on each side, the repos I've seen only had two. Also the factory was white under the paint, and I think the main wing is fiberglass. I bought a repop off of ebay several years ago and it was grey something or other and solid, that's another thing that the factory wing was hollow. I do have a factory one that's off a 1970 Rallye 350, I can take pictures of the bases you could compare with yours if that would help. I don't think theres a number on it. I'm not sure on the price, I've seen a lot of repo ones for sale but it's been a while since I saw a factory one. If I found a factory one for $150 that wasn't broken I would buy it in a heartbeat! John
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 2blu442
One difference I've seen with reproductions is that the original had three mounting studs on each side, the repos I've seen only had two. Also the factory was white under the paint, and I think the main wing is fiberglass.
Read that same thing over at ROP about half a year ago, as posted from people that have actually seen both.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
cas

thanks John and Dan, Pics would be great.
Well mine only has two mounting studs on each side and the main wing seems to made of a hard foam or something. It looks white or light yellow in color under the paint.and it has a hairline crack six inches off center from front to back on the underside. I wonder if it can be repaired with fiberglass or sandable epoxy? Wing is very stable. I don't know if there is a solid core on not. I believe it's still usable if sanded and paint. What do you guy's think?