Taking off Emblems

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
1972 Cutlass 455

Taking off Emblems

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the easiest way to remove fender emblems? I have a 1972 cutlass, and am trying to remove the fender emblems to clean them up. I looked through my shop manuals, and it seems like I would have to take the fender off to get to the speed nuts. Is that true? I can see the backs from opening up the doors, but I would need like a 12'' set of pliers to get to them. Any help would be great!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM

I don't recall how far in they are, but, have you considered ratcheting wrenches?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM

Another thought. How easy is it to peel back the inner fender? Maybe you can get to them that way? Take off your wheel, unscrew a couple of bolts that hold on the inner fender, then peel it back some. Just a thought.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by silverriff
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the easiest way to remove fender emblems? I have a 1972 cutlass, and am trying to remove the fender emblems to clean them up. I looked through my shop manuals, and it seems like I would have to take the fender off to get to the speed nuts. Is that true? I can see the backs from opening up the doors, but I would need like a 12'' set of pliers to get to them. Any help would be great!
You have to take the fenders off. Some people have had success by unbolting the bottom of the fender and prying up, but that's risky. And yes, if you haven't had the fenders off recently, the clip nuts on the bottom will snap off and the bolts will just spin. Expect to have to cut them off and replace the bolts and clip nuts.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. The guy who had it before me "blacked out" the emblems, I don't know why. Until I'm ready to get the car painted, I'll jut clean them up the best I can. Thanks everyone for their help.