sanding time

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM

sanding time

I am very close to the time I start sanding down the body on my 56. Its funny, you never realize how much chrome is on one of these things until you take it all off and put it in a pile. Thats a lot of F$%#ing chrome!!!! I cruised through good 'ol Home Depot yesterday and asked some questions about sanders. One guy suggested using a small electric vibrating sander because it would be gentle on the metal underneath the paint. Another guy suggested using a angle grinder with a sanding disk attachment because it would get the job done faster and easier, but it would leave swirl marks in the metal. So after a confusing visit with them I decided to see what anyone else has used and thier opinions on it. So, what do you cats think?
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Have it media blasted and epoxy primer laid on it. It's worth the money!

C.J.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I just finished sanding and epoxying my 56 last week. I will never do it with a 5" DA again. I don't like to outsource anything I can do myself. Its a matter of pride to me. Next time I will use a angle grinder. If you put a epoxy undercoat on then sand swirls will aid in the adhesion. Find out what brand of paint you want to use then go to the prep section to see what they require for prep of there product. Take care