Jack stand locations

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2021, 09:50 AM

Jack stand locations

Greetings gentlemen! I put my 67 CS Vert on jack stands. This is the first time I’ve done this to any car whatsoever and want to make sure I don’t kill myself. Here are pics of where they presently sit. I can see one is not making great contact and will adjust it for sure, but overall are they in the right place?

Old July 17th, 2021, 10:05 AM
Administrator

I prefer to stick 2 under the rear differential and 1 under the frame just behind the front wheels. I like both high points touching the frame and the rear diff in the hollow crescent area.
Old July 17th, 2021, 11:14 AM

Thank you for your help! So the CSM shows 4 jack points roughly where I have them now. Kinda hard to put a stand where I was supposed to jack. Is it ok or conventional to jack under the front cross member and place the front stands and then jack under the rear diff and place them under the axle?
Old July 17th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by David Keeney
Thank you for your help! So the CSM shows 4 jack points roughly where I have them now. Kinda hard to put a stand where I was supposed to jack. Is it ok or conventional to jack under the front cross member and place the front stands and then jack under the rear diff and place them under the axle?
It is fine to jack the front-end under the cross-member, place the front-end on jack-stands (set parking brake & helpful to place a shock behind a rear wheel). Next, jack rear-end under the rear differential and place the rear-end as per Eric (under the axle if you prefer) or I place my rear jackstands under the frame on each side as per the CSM.
Old July 17th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

Just a couple pictures. One picture with seven jackstands when I was replacing the suspension - four under the frame, two holding the rear axle & one holding the propeller shaft. The other picture is just a normal day in the park w/ four jackstands whenever I raise the car. Whenever I do raise the car (whether working on the rear-end [only] or the front-end [only]), I like to have the car stabilized at level. Maybe overkill but that's how I like to work under a car.

EDIT: I should note the ONLY reason I have two jackstands under the rear axle is because I was changing the upper & lower control arms; so, the rear axle is not holding the weight of the car, it is only holding the rear axle in place while I change and maneuver the control arms and shocks.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 17th, 2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old July 17th, 2021, 12:07 PM

Thanks Vintage! Your pics are very helpful. I’ll be doing (or attempting to do) suspension work and general clean up and de-rustifying, so the extra axle jacks were noted. Can you expand upon the need to have a stand under the propeller?
Old July 17th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Running On Empty

The jack stand under the propeller shaft is simply a safeguard. As I was moving the rear axle up & down to accommodate the removal of the old upper & lower control arms and the installation of new UCAs & LCAs & rear sway bar, I simply wanted to ensure if the rear axle slipped or I knocked it off a jackstand the propeller jackstand would help stabilize the propeller while it was still attached to the rear axle. Additionally, as the propeller shaft is still attached to the rear axle & I was lowering the rear axle, I didn't want the propeller to gain or less its "pitch" orientation while moving the axle up and down. Really, nothing more than a safeguard. You should note that when changing the rear UCAs and LCAs I was using a floor jack on one side or the other of the rear axle to get the right height for inserting the bolts for the UCAs & the LCAs during installation.
Old July 17th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I would not put a jack stand under the propeller shaft (drive shaft). They are hollow and will get damaged easily. If you are doing rear suspension work your better off putting the jack stands under the frame in front of the rear tires. Depending on what suspension work your doing in front, you may want to put jack stands under the lower control arms.
Old July 17th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I would not put a jack stand under the propeller shaft (drive shaft). They are hollow and will get damaged easily. If you are doing rear suspension work your better off putting the jack stands under the frame in front of the rear tires. Depending on what suspension work your doing in front, you may want to put jack stands under the lower control arms.
That's decent enough advice if the jack stand under the propeller shaft was actually holding any weight. The jack stand under the propeller shaft is not holding any weight - it resides under the propeller shaft only as a safeguard; the jack stands under the rear axle are holding the weight of the rear axle.
Old July 17th, 2021, 08:16 PM

Good points all the way around. I’ll keep an extra 2 stands under the rear axle, when feasible. And….keep the hydraulic jack just snug under the front cross member when practical as well. I got to spend some time under there today. Getting acquainted up close and personal.
Old July 17th, 2021, 09:33 PM

I like jacking the rear up first and placing the jackstands under the axle tubes.
I feel like the stands cradle the tube better than the frame so you know it won’t move.
Just a personal preference.

-peter
Old July 20th, 2021, 06:23 AM

Now that it’s up on the stands, I noticed that the passenger side door gap is massive. It wasn’t that way before. Did I screw up my car or should this fix itself when back on the ground?

Old July 20th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Based on your other thread, your body mounts have issues compounded by jack stand placement.. That is what's causing your door gap issue
Old July 20th, 2021, 12:27 PM

Good point OldsCutlass. Probably a combo of factors. I’m worried that I warped the frame somehow.
Old July 20th, 2021, 12:58 PM

It's likely fine. My car bends an astonishing amount depending upon where I put the jack stands. Too far off from the rear axle load points and the doors won't open. It was kinda scary the first time.
Old July 20th, 2021, 03:52 PM

That’s a comforting thought. Thank you. Its up on the racks now, so may as well get to work on it. 👍