I need help to identify right centerlink for 1968 4D 98 LS

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2017, 09:08 AM

I need help to identify right centerlink for 1968 4D 98 LS

Hello all,

I have problem to identify right centerlink for my car. At least i want someone who have done similiar thing to confirm what i think.

So, the metal cover of pitman arm tie rod end is gone and there is so much **** inside, so it's time to change it.

I have looked here few conversation's about it and i THINK(i could easily be wrong about this ) it is alternate style.

Because:

- Idler arm isn't three piece unit, as above instruction's says right? "Alternate type idler arm and some replacement arms are a one piece design including the bracket" <- looks like i have it that way

- I didn't found anykind of "S" stamps from the tie rod end's. Or then i look them at wrong place.

" much easier way to tell a "Saginaw" steering system from a Thompson, TRW, alternate"etc. system.
Wire brush all the crud off the bottom side of the pitman arm(the one attached to the steering box). There will be a forging number on the pitman arm.
If the forging number has seven digits and starts with 56 it's a Saginaw.
If it has six digits then it is a Thompson, TRW , or alternate system."

- Well, as you can see, there is stamped 14-210

- Diameter of this stud, what mount's to pitman arm is 0,556"

So what you guys think what is correct?

I found this site selling both: https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...html?3594=2331
But when i open that alternate product and see that picture, i have different kind of bend, where centerlink attaches to idler arm.

Here is few pics more

Help please
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Achti

- Diameter of this stud, what mount's to pitman arm is 0,556"
^^^^THIS is all that matters. You have Thompson parts. Don't make this any tougher than it is.
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:15 AM

Okay, so it wont matter if new centerlink doesnt look same as old one?
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I think there is only one supplier of these and its Rare Parts. If your diameter is .556 then its Part # 25789 from your link address. If you flip the picture over I believe it looks the same.
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Okay, so it wont matter if new centerlink doesnt look same as old one?
The visual appearances only matter for original equipment. Different replacement parts vendors used different manufacturing techniques and the parts may or may not look exactly the same. For example, "Thompson" is the "T" in TRW (Thompson Ramo Woolridge) parts. TRW made replacement parts for both styles, but their "Saginaw" replacement parts looked exactly like their "Thompson" parts, except for the taper diameter. That is the ONLY thing that matters. Also understand manufacturing tolerances and measurement inaccuracies. Your measurement may not be EXACTLY 0.556", but so long as it's closer to 0.556" and not 0.587", it is a Thompson design. This difference is large enough to see with the naked eye if you have the two side-by-side.
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:33 AM

yeah okay, i was thinking that also. Thanks for your help, i think this https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...tml?3593=34021 will save my incoming summer... =)
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

yeah okay, i was thinking that also. Thanks for your help, i think this https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...tml?3593=34021 will save my incoming summer... =)
That's a really good price.