Hood latch color?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Hood latch color?

Quick question -
What is the original color of the hood latch (the part mounted on the radiator support area)?
I have a new one, nicely zinc plated or whatever.
Just need to know if I need to paint it (carefully) or leave it...
My old one is "grungy rust" colored...
Thanks!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 7th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Registered

All the latches I've seen are natural. The Donahue guide also says natural for GM. They were done after the paint in the assembly manual so I don't think they would have overspray or anything on them.
If I'm wrong somebody will let you know. Sometimes the fastest way to get the correct answer is to post a wrong one.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM

What Rob, no photos? Do you mean the rods, or the lock itself? If you have a nice zinc latch I would leave it like that for a while. You can always paint it later. I was wondering the same thing about the trunk latch.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Hehe.... No photos this time!
I was referrring to just the latch that mounts to the radiator support.
The new locking one I got was in clean shiny zinc plating, so I left it like that and mounted it.
Of course being an "exact repro" parts-place item, it was not a super easy bolt in job... I had to route out the rad support bolt holes so that it would slide more to the left of the car....
Also, they did not include the lock mechanism cover....
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Rob,
My car has the original latch assembly (1972) was painted from the factory. Car's been in the family since new so I'm pretty sure thats how it was built. I repainted the side that faces out black to match the Rad support and cover plate. Just less work to maintain and it looks really sharp. I will be changing mine over to the T44 security lock and the part that I bought on ebay is OEM. It looks like the original paint on it and it's black too, except for the moving parts of course. Even the rivet is still showing a metal color (but with an aged patina of gunge that will clean up nicely).

For show, a shiny zinc latch would have great accent. Up to you about whether to paint it FYI I have seen these "restored" and the stamped metal has been painted black, but the moving pieces have been zinc plated, and the rivets are left with metal finish. Suggest you ask Lady if she wants to dress slinky in zinc or sleek in black. Women always seem to like having choices.
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM

T44 latch mechanism

Alan

I pulled one off an original one owner 72 that was natural including the lock cover. The internals were gold zinc coated. Maybe its a matter of assembly plant? BTW Rob, I don't think the repo latches include the cover for the lock. Not sure on that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 7244too
Alan

I pulled one off an original one owner 72 that was natural including the lock cover. The internals were gold zinc coated. Maybe its a matter of assembly plant? BTW Rob, I don't think the repo latches include the cover for the lock. Not sure on that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
7244too
Could be the plant, don't know for sure. Just going by what's on the car now. BTW, gorgeous looking car. Got any pics of it in other threads? Love to see more of it. Mine is silver with black body stripes.
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Rob,
... Suggest you ask Lady if she wants to dress slinky in zinc or sleek in black. Women always seem to like having choices.
If I did that, it would take forever...

It would be like change to black and let me see... How about take the black off and let me see again... How about change to gold anodized... Oh no - that does not go with white and black! Change back to black again............

I had a human version that was like that. Too many choices were BAD. Ironically, she was also trying to mix and match silver, black, and gold before a holiday party. After about an hour she says she does not want to go. I think finally chose gold for her and we went...
From then on, she had me do the choosing and she wore whatever I picked out. I liked this idea and was even amazed at the outcomes!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; May 8th, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM

BTW, gorgeous looking car. Got any pics of it in other threads? Love to see more of it. Mine is silver with black body stripes.
Thanks Allen but thats a pic of when I first got it(seems like decades ago) and it was still presentable. These days it's the same combo as yours but primer. When it's done it will be Flame Orange (Original) with the same black stripes yours is wearing. BTW are yours painted or tape?Hopefully that may be happening this summer. If it does I will try to post some pics of the transformation. Gotta shorten the HONEY-DO list down to 4 pages before the car gets any consideration.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Just tell her to go Commando and be done with it.
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If I did that, it would take forever...

It would be like change to black and let me see... How about take the black off and let me see again... How about change to gold anodized... Oh no - that does not go with white and black! Change back to black again............

I had a human version that was like that. Too many choices were BAD. Ironically, she was also trying to mix and match silver, black, and gold before a holiday party. After about an hour she says she does not want to go. I think finally chose gold for her and we went...
From then on, she had me do the choosing and she wore whatever I picked out. I liked this idea and was even amazed at the outcomes!
I can't believe a woman would think like that.....

So, did you decide if Lady's wearing gold or black? Come to think of it, it would match up with the power brake booster really nice. Go for it!
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 7244too
Thanks Allen but thats a pic of when I first got it(seems like decades ago) and it was still presentable. These days it's the same combo as yours but primer. When it's done it will be Flame Orange (Original) with the same black stripes yours is wearing. BTW are yours painted or tape?Hopefully that may be happening this summer. If it does I will try to post some pics of the transformation. Gotta shorten the HONEY-DO list down to 4 pages before the car gets any consideration.
Glad to hear that it's on its way to looking good again. When I did my stripes they were still available from GM. GM wanted a fortune (what's new?) so I got a company called Supergraphics to make up a set identical to the GM ones for about 1/3 the price installed, so they are tape. The resto on my Cutlass S was done in 1984 and it's been carefully garaged and stored since then. It only comes out to play when the suns shining.

Gotta love my Honey Do...

When she say's Honey, did you, will you, etc I just say "Yup, its already done". For the most part it seems to work pretty good. Most of the time the To Do list is just stuff I need to take care of. She looks after the rest. Nice to have an independant wife who takes on chores on her own. Oh oh, gotta go, she's coming and might read this...hee hee hee

Old May 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM

I can't believe a woman would think like that.....

So, did you decide if Lady's wearing gold or black? Come to think of it, it would match up with the power brake booster really nice. Go for it!
Right now, Lady is wearing silver for her hood latch. Eventually I will repaint the radiator support, so when that happens, I may do the latch also. It looks as if they came in natural and in black, so I will decide on my own then. If I paint it black, there is no turning back.

Her brake booster is icky-colored now so that will get rebuilt and replated when her nasty master cylinder needs replacement. She will be given no choice but gold for the booster and her engine...

Come to think of it, I do wonder why some women are so picky about what colors to wear in areas not directly visible to the general public...