68 core support

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM

68 core support

Hello,

I was wondering if it's a possibility to remove the core support without removing the fenders and hood will it slide out without problems or what's the best way to do it. As mine has some rust issues.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Sure, you can remove it without removing the sheetmetal. You'll need to remove the battery and battery tray (good luck if you're dealing with rust) as well as unbolt the front edge of the inner wheelhouses from the radiator support. I'm assuming you have already removed the front bumper, radiator and AC condenser if the car has AC. You will also need to slide the forward light harness out of the way once you unplug the headlights and fender side marker lights as welll as the ground wires that are screwed to the engine side of the support by the headlights. Also, remove the bolts for the filler panel that fits under the molding on the very front edge of the fender. There will be 2 bolts per side that are accessed from the engine side of the raditor support to release this filler. The filler can stay on the fenders. Next, unbolt the front edge of the fenders from the radiator support and the lower bront fender brace as it bolts to the bottom side of the support. With all this done, you will just need to remove the 2 bolts that bolt the support to the front frame horns. Pay attention as there may be shims in between the support and the bushings. With all of this done, it should slide out the front. Be careful if you close the hood as there will be nothing in the front when the support is removed and you could bend something. So either leave the hood up or place something in there to keep the hood from closing too far.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Is it possible to remove the a/c condenser without removing the hoses it as I don't know if there is freon or not. once the radiator is out could it slide throw that hole or does it need to have the hoses removed to get it out? Thanks
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM

You should be able to keep the condenser with the car and with the lines connected once you remove the radiator. I'm pretty sure you can unbolt the condenser brackets from the radiator support and and once everything else is disconnected and the radiatir removed, the support should be able to be removed out the front and the condenser will stay with the car. You will need to support the condenser and maybe a little wire connected to each side of the condenser bracket can be hooked to the inside of the fender. You don't want the condenser to hang on it's own weight as you could crack a line or fitting at the condenser.