1953 super88 handling

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
certifiable

1953 super88 handling

hey guys. i have a 53 olds super88 2 door hardtop, all original. i havent driven it at all. what i would like to know is: how are the stock brakes, stock manual steering, stock suspension as far as drivability. i realize this will not even compare to the cars we have now. i plan on rebuilding everything and am just wondering how it feels stock. also, is there anything i can do to improve this without alot of $$$$$. i know i could put disc brakes, new control arms, airbags and........i will be running radial tires. any ideas???? thanks, dan
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you could find a parts car with power steering and power brakes, that would help a lot. Even after you rebuild it, it is very old technology. This car was before balljoints even. It has Kingpins and bushings. I have a 50 Olds convertible in an estate I am executor of. You really have to drive this car. When you get our of a vehicle with 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes and power rack and pinion steering, it different worlds. Heavy traffic would make me very nervous in this car. We added power steering and power brakes to the 54 and there is a world of difference.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM

As an owner of a stock '50's era non-Olds cars I learned to drive the car differently than how I drive my '66 Toro. I began to anticipate turns, lane changes, braking and other maneuvers far in advance and started to appreciate the character and driving demeanor of the car. The wallowing, the heavy lean in cornering, the soft brakes and bias tires. About the only trouble I would run into is when another driver would cut in front of me than hit their brakes. Had a few close calls that resulted in a lot of tire squeal and some very big eyes looking back at me. Otherwise, just recognize how the car was driven when new and try to emulate that style. Appreciate and embrace its dynamics and limitations and enjoy the drive, albeit just a little slower than everyone else.

Chris
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think the way these cars drive and handle is part of the experience and romance with them. As hullinger mentioned, it is the people cutting in front of you and stopping that becomes a problem.
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
i think the way these cars drive and handle is part of the experience and romance with them.
x2!
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:25 PM

I drive mine every day (in the Summer). It's a '56 Holiday Sedan, and I enjoy the heck out of it.
Just make sure you do you routine checks and maintenance and you'll be fine.

I should also mention, that I'm not living in New York City.