1966 Forest Mist Toronado

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:53 PM

1966 Forest Mist Toronado

I am looking for a 1966 Toronado with a Forest Mist Dark Green exterior and interior. If you know where I might find this car please let me know. It is the car I learned to drive in and I would like to acquire one.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 06:48 PM
Forward into the Past

With all due respect, when looking at 50-year-old cars, color would be secondary to overall condition. Find one in good shape and you can always get it painted.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I moved your post to the cars wanted section. Welcome to the site and good luck in your quest.
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM

Repaint a Toronado

With all due respect, to repaint a car worth at best $25000, makes no sense to me. By the time you break the car down, pull the engine, strip the interior, remove all of the hardware and chrome you are into a $50,000 job or more and you have reduced the value of the originality.
This is an age old disagreement and there is no right answer. I have restored cars before and a Tornado is just not of enough value to do it right. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do the repaint if that meets your needs and budget, it just doesn't meet mine.
Old April 25th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Smile

There's one listed on Bowling Green Ky. Craigslist that you might want to look at .It only has two pictures,but I think it is probably the color you are looking for. They say it has a new correct interior,but no picture of the interior. priced @ $5900,and says in good mechanical condition.
After looking closer at this cars pictures, it is dark green interior pleated leather or vinyl. Looks like a great deal. Best of luck, Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; April 25th, 2017 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Add info
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Thanks Larry

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
There's one listed on Bowling Green Ky. Craigslist that you might want to look at .It only has two pictures,but I think it is probably the color you are looking for. They say it has a new correct interior,but no picture of the interior. priced @ $5900,and says in good mechanical condition.
After looking closer at this cars pictures, it is dark green interior pleated leather or vinyl. Looks like a great deal. Best of luck, Larry
Old April 25th, 2017, 01:01 PM

Larry, this deal was too good to pass up. After placing ads in JWO and in the Antique Automobile Club and in the Toronado Chapter, I have a car! Thank you very much for helping me find this car. Not sure where you are but I owe you a fine dinner!! What is even better is this car may actually be the car I learned to drive in!!! I am checking on that now, what a stroke of good luck. Thanks again and if I can repay you in some way I sure am more than happy to do so!
Dick
Old April 25th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Pictures?
Old April 25th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Smile '66 Toronado

If I can I will add pictures.If they come out crossways that is the way they were on the Craigslist ad. I loaded 2 Pictures but only 1 Showed up. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (31.1 KB, 44 views)
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:32 PM

I have received the 66 Toronado and will start work on it soon, already bought some new rust free metal. Car seems to drive fine, every once in awhile it smokes. My guess is bad gas and oil. Changing all fluids now. Much to my surprise it is a "Standard". Never saw one before but I don't see any issues with that. The VIN confirms it. Can't seem to get a definition of what a "standard" is since you could order the standards with everything the deluxe has? Anyone out there Know? I may need someone to chrome plate plastic interior pieces, anyone have good experiences doing this?
Thanks for your input.
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:40 PM

Like they say,

"Ya gotta kiss alot of frogs to meet a Prince"
Old May 19th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Administrator

There is a new chrome paint process you can look into.
Old May 19th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Olds Fever

Congrats on finding your dream car... Good luck with the project as you progress...
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:45 PM

I sent my plastic instrument panel to Madison, Wi. for chrome. Although its not really chrome plating its aluminum vacumizing, which is the same as originally done at the factory. The business is Chrome Tech USA, I believe the guys name is Robert, their number is 608/274/9811. They did an excellent job on my dash. They also do the door pull plastic bases if you want, or any plastic parts. They have a web site.
Steve