Wanted: Nice body shell from 70-72 cutlass "s" or cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Chris

Wanted: Nice body shell from 70-72 cutlass "s" or cutlass supreme

Hello! After speaking with several members, including 2blu442, concerning the condition of my 72 supreme body and the cost to weld in my quarter panel skins, sail panels, and deck filler panel, i have decided to see if there are any decent, no rust body shells preferably from a 70-72 cutlass supreme, although i would consider a 70-72 cutlass S as well. I have just finished restoring the frame and chassis, the seats were reupholstered in the 1990s with year one vinyl, and the interior (aside from headliner), is beautiful (dark green) with a great original dashboard and door panels ... Ive had the car over 20 years, So i really dont want to go out and just get a new one after doing all this work, but if i could find either a nice body, (or someone who can do bodywork reasonably in the southern nj region) that would be ideal.
If the car is whole, thats fine too. Please let me know what you have and what you are looking to get. Assuming the parts are good on your car, I have several nice parts to trade from a 71 supreme: beautiful doors, trunk lid, and fenders (one has a small crease near the headloght area- had a body man look at it said it was no big deal). I also have a brand new set of quarter skins from Year One from 1998 i think is when i purchased them, and i have a relatively clean set of sail panels that i cut out of a 70 supreme. Any leads, or ideas would be great!
Thanks!
Chris.

Last edited by Oldssupreme; January 19th, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:39 PM

I have sold several almost full bodies in parts to guys over the years and always wonder why not buy another car and use the one they have as a parts car?

Right now in the Portland Oregon Craigslist there is at least 5 70-72 Cutlass cars that are drivers all for under $5k. These will mostly be rust free cars. I am pretty sure by the time you buy quarter panels and ship them you will spend that much to get it done and when done you have a car that is a rust bucket with patches. Which could have huge issues later that come to light. John 2blu442 is a great guy. He is right.

I have a 70 442 I bought from him and would do it way before I would many of those very rusty cars from the east coast or the rust belt. It costs about $1000 to have a car shipped from the west coast to the east coast. Starting with a more solid body makes total sense.

Just a few thoughts.

Larry
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Chris

Thank you Larry. I am going to start my seach tonight! I have seen a few in the LA area that look nice. Ill have to put a message up to see if anyone lives out that way and would be willing to take a trip to check the cars out. In thr meantime im going to check out the ones in portland area. Thanks!
Chris
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:05 AM

i am in Oregon about 150 miles from Portland but for a fee could check out cars in that are for you. Pictures full inspection and so on.

get ahold of me direct.

lemoldsnut@aol.com or calls west coast time 8 am to 8 pm 541-815-4363

I will Pm you as well.

Larry
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:23 PM

How about a Cutlass S Post ?
Old February 19th, 2016, 06:40 AM

72 cutlass supreme in sc

I have a 71 supreme in my garage that needs front floor pans but the qtrs seem to be rust free. I can send some pictures in interested. the car has engine & trans 350 car not running. I was going to do a resto on the car and bought my dream car instead. I understand its a long way to tow a car but I also know its rare to see these cars for sale anymore.
Old February 21st, 2016, 08:39 PM

There's also a guy advertising a project/parts car, the body looks really clean on it. He's in Canterbury, CT and I'm about an hour away from him. I can try to meet up with the guy if you like, I'll take some pics, send them to you and see what you think. He has an add up on the Cars for Sale section, if you wanna take a look at it yourself. It's a blue 71 project, I think the ad title is 71 project/parts car or something like that.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:47 AM
Chris

Ok. Thank you all for the info! I'll check out the ad. I'll probably be going with a body Guy I found to work on my body with the panels I have instead of going the new body route but I'll check these ads out in case this guy doesn't work out. You guys are great thanks again!
Chris.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:06 AM

i have been looking for years for some nice a-bodies.i have a 70 toro gt 455 and a 70 ls-5 454 just waiting for a body to drop em into.but here in iowa,center of the rust belt they are few and far between.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:20 AM

Don't kill me for not knowing ... how close is the '70 Chevelle body to the '70 Cutlass?

If you wanted to go whole hog ... http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html It's a lot pricier than just getting an original in good shape, but then this has no hidden rust, no hidden accident damage, no twists or alignment issues.

Just a thought.
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Professur
Don't kill me for not knowing ... how close is the '70 Chevelle body to the '70 Cutlass?

If you wanted to go whole hog ... http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html It's a lot pricier than just getting an original in good shape, but then this has no hidden rust, no hidden accident damage, no twists or alignment issues.

Just a thought.
How close is a Chevelle to a Cutlass.Not close at all! Go look at the link you posted. A good choice for a guy who needed to re-body his rare Chevelle.
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:41 AM

I did look at the link ... what was it supposed to tell me? I don't know anything about Cutlasses. Hence me throwing out the possibility. I don't know if the internal structure is identical and it's only a matter of welding on different sail panels, or if the manufacturer is even open to that. I said I didn't know up front.
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:41 AM

I did look at the link ... what was it supposed to tell me? I don't know anything about Cutlasses. Hence me throwing out the possibility. I don't know if the internal structure is identical and it's only a matter of welding on different sail panels, or if the manufacturer is even open to that. I said I didn't know up front.
The cost of changing the quarter panels and the rear tail panel just doesn't add up as a good choice cost wise! Then add in the cost of the shell. JMO The reason this company doesn't make a cutlass shell is not many would buy it. The support for Oldsmobiles is very small. That is not to say someone might use this option to use a Chevelle shell from this vendor.
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:29 AM

It gets real old talking with someone who doesn't read. I said up front that it was far more expensive. But you start with a body with ZERO miles on it. There's value there. I don't know what options are open to the manufacturer. They might be able to zap on cutlass quarters without even trying. Or it might be impossible. Did anyone ask? I sure didn't read anything for or against.

I posted to show a possible option to the OP ... not to have an argument as to it's merit.
Old February 24th, 2016, 12:12 PM

It gets real old talking with someone who doesn't read. I said up front that it was far more expensive. But you start with a body with ZERO miles on it. There's value there. I don't know what options are open to the manufacturer. They might be able to zap on cutlass quarters without even trying. Or it might be impossible. Did anyone ask? I sure didn't read anything for or against.

I posted to show a possible option to the OP ... not to have an argument as to it's merit.
I understand you think i didn't read or understood. A sail panel from your first post and a quarter panel are two different parts . I was trying to point out why i think not a good ideal. I wasn't trying to suggest anything other than the body's are not that similar unless you buy the parts to change. JMHO I'm sure if they vendor wanted to change these parts and sell the shell as a cutlass he would have done it.JMHO I am done here as i don't want to argue pro or cons. The shell could be modified and is a possible choice.Have good day.

Last edited by wr1970; February 24th, 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Chris

Professur,
Thank you for your suggestion. It is much appreciated when someone tries to help out with an issue i am having. I actually found a body guy who can work with the sail panels i cut out of a rust free parts car to weld in with my replacement reproduction quarter panels from year one and the rear deck filler i have from Tamraz. Again, thank you very much and thank all of you for your input.
Chris.
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:08 PM

Shell

Hi, is this still available? If so can you send me pictures and price?

Originally Posted by BLAZE455
I have a 71 supreme in my garage that needs front floor pans but the qtrs seem to be rust free. I can send some pictures in interested. the car has engine & trans 350 car not running. I was going to do a resto on the car and bought my dream car instead. I understand its a long way to tow a car but I also know its rare to see these cars for sale anymore.
Old May 31st, 2021, 12:50 PM

I have a 90% rust free 72 Cutlass Supreme Coupe that needs a trans. I have many pictures. Send me a PM at jameswingers@gmail.com if you still need this car.
Old May 31st, 2021, 12:56 PM

I have a 72 Cutlass Supreme hardtop, Very little rust, only near a ding in the left qtr panel. trunk and floor pans are good. 350 auto runs good, trans needs forward. Car is 95% straight. PM me at jameswingers@gmail.com.