Old September 13th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Viking Green?

Originally Posted by viking blue
Looking for a car to buy

1970 / 1971 / 1972 442 Astro Poly /Viking Blue / Nordic Blue

Great Paint, Great Interior ECT

High twentys to low 30 thirty's

Viking Green will work also Thanks
There is no Viking Green. What green color did you mean?
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:11 PM

I apologize

basically a dark green

1970 Sherwood green poly
1971 Capri green
1972 Radiant green

Thanks
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:18 PM

After looking at the three greens the
1972 radiant green does not work to far away from dark green
Old September 13th, 2018, 06:35 PM
1971 442 conv

Hard Top or Convertible?

Originally Posted by viking blue
Looking for a car to buy

1970 / 1971 / 1972 442 Astro Poly /Viking Blue / Nordic Blue

Great Paint, Great Interior ECT

High twentys to low 30 thirty's

Viking Green will work also Thanks

Old September 13th, 2018, 07:25 PM
W30

Same thing with ****.....find a good body then paint whatever colors
Old September 13th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Where are you located?
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:06 AM

Nevada
Old October 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Im about to sell mine, ill PM you details
Old October 26th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Alan Reedy

Originally Posted by mattking
Im about to sell mine, ill PM you details
I'd like to know more about it too please. Thank you.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 04:40 PM

I posted my 1972 Viking Blue 442 W-30. $42,200.
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:30 AM

Antique jade would be another green 71
Old December 4th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Viking blue convertible. Not mine just passing it along
I think it’s buy it now for 26,500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264070435376

1971 Oldsmobile 442 #'s Matching Original Paint 1 Owner 33k Miles
Old December 9th, 2018, 06:22 AM

Mattking - I have been watching this convertible. But something doesn't seem quite right with it. They said never been painted but the front fender clearly doesn't match the reset of the car, there are no side stripes, and I have never heard of reverse hood stripes on a 71 - has anyone else heard of this
Old December 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM

better link

Old December 9th, 2018, 08:22 AM

I wouldn’t know anything about the striping but could the fender have been replaced with an already painted junk yard fender?

It it does look like it was painted at a
different time then the rest of the car
Old December 9th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Clearly the car has been painted, Likely it did not have an OAI hood and it was added. The stripes were put on backwards.
Old December 9th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
Viking blue convertible. Not mine just passing it along
I think it’s buy it now for 26,500

1971 Oldsmobile 442 #'s Matching Original Paint 1 Owner 33k Miles
Be Careful with this seller's representations and his word, or lack thereof. I was looking at another car from the same seller and the seller is inconsistant and can't keep his story straight. The car and the seller's word did not accurately depict the condition of the car. This seller seems to specialize in "one owner, original, highly documented" cars. A reputable member looked at the car and advised me to stay away. Another reputable member knew of the seller and also advised me to stay away. (Putting it mildly) I listened. Further, the advice provided by two additional members support the comments referenced regarding the '71.
Old December 9th, 2018, 10:26 AM

He also uses multiple names.
Old December 10th, 2018, 07:53 AM

Aren't you looking for a GREEN car not a BLUE car?

Your original post is confusing and it got worse from there.

Are you looking for a GREEN car or a BLUE car?

In your post #4 you state that you are looking for A DARK GREEN CAR
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Okee Dokee, He's looking for a Blue car.

Harry is spot on with his assessment of this 71 442. I opened the original eBay link and looked at the car, plus its description. This does not appear to be a 33k mile (likely 133K) car and has all kinds of flaws that suggest it's been hacked to pieces and hung up to dry wet.Two owner? Sure probably but it hasn't been taken care of and for the amount of work it will take to fix all the problems with that car I'd run away, not walk.

Did anyone else notice:
  • rearview mirror is upside down. Quite a challenge since it would require twisting the light wire to make it work properly.
  • rust out on the deck lid
  • Missing the key lock on the deck lid. Yes, another red neck trunk lid opener; flatblade screwdriver.
  • rear bumper has serious rust. Easier to see in magnified picture.
  • water in the backup lights
  • the rather unique "one off" smashed up RS bumper/grill/and headlight filler. Could be minor rad support damage and brace damage as well..
  • the hood hinges are missing. That's why someone had to hold the hood up for that picture
  • Not to mention the collision likely popped the hood tie down chrome latch off.
  • Missing the secondary underhood tie down hook that should be attached to the hood.
  • all interior window cranks are missing - this car has been taken apart inside for some reason.
  • missing pull ***** for the fresh air vents. Again another sloppy telltale
  • has the 1972 hood rocket instead of the 71 emblem. Easy to spot the difference.
  • windsheild wiper (drivers) does not 'park' properly. Something's up there.
  • carpet is missing - front and back. Jute is evident on the passenger wheel well.
  • the key lock cylinder has been punched out, and also damaged the steering column.
  • rust staining on interior trim
  • very abused dash and lower dash. This is not what to expect on a 33k mile car.
  • on an enlarged picture I pulled, the brake pedal is very worn, and appears to have a trailer brake added.
  • left front fender is obviously a different color than the left side. Evidence of another collision and paint.
  • 442's did NOT come with body side moldings - so much for being an all original car.
  • As previously noted - the hood stripes are on backwards. IDK if the car had the hood added afterwards, but maybe not considering it's a 71
  • missing OAI breather - that's a biggie
  • missing trumpet exhausts even though it has the cutout bumper
There are no pictures showing the inside of the trunk, which I suspect is rotted, and nothing showing the bottom of the car at all. The typical rust out areas have carefully been avoided in the pictures presented by the poster. Like his other 'one owner' U code car, it's a disaster waiting for someone who has more money than brains. I suspect that the engine isn't even the original based on all the other features of the car that are missing or damaged. Anyway, that's my 2¢

Last edited by Allan R; December 10th, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:59 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Allan R

Harry is spot on with his assessment of this 71 442. I opened the original eBay link and looked at the car, plus its description. This does not appear to be a 33k mile (likely 133K) car and has all kinds of flaws that suggest it's been hacked to pieces and hung up to dry wet.Two owner? Sure probably but it hasn't been taken care of and for the amount of work it will take to fix all the problems with that car I'd run away, not walk.

Did anyone else notice:
my 2¢
Whole car is pretty shabby. Anyone gives him $26.5K, he should run, not walk, straight to the bank
Old December 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R

Did anyone else notice:
  • rearview mirror is upside down. Quite a challenge since it would require twisting the light wire to make it work properly.
  • rust out on the deck lid
  • Missing the key lock on the deck lid. Yes, another red neck trunk lid opener; flatblade screwdriver.
  • rear bumper has serious rust. Easier to see in magnified picture.
  • water in the backup lights
  • the rather unique "one off" smashed up RS bumper/grill/and headlight filler. Could be minor rad support damage and brace damage as well..
  • the hood hinges are missing. That's why someone had to hold the hood up for that picture
  • Not to mention the collision likely popped the hood tie down chrome latch off.
  • Missing the secondary underhood tie down hook that should be attached to the hood.
  • all interior window cranks are missing - this car has been taken apart inside for some reason.
  • missing pull ***** for the fresh air vents. Again another sloppy telltale
  • has the 1972 hood rocket instead of the 71 emblem. Easy to spot the difference.
  • windsheild wiper (drivers) does not 'park' properly. Something's up there.
  • carpet is missing - front and back. Jute is evident on the passenger wheel well.
  • the key lock cylinder has been punched out, and also damaged the steering column.
  • rust staining on interior trim
  • very abused dash and lower dash. This is not what to expect on a 33k mile car.
  • on an enlarged picture I pulled, the brake pedal is very worn, and appears to have a trailer brake added.
  • left front fender is obviously a different color than the left side. Evidence of another collision and paint.
  • 442's did NOT come with body side moldings - so much for being an all original car.
  • As previously noted - the hood stripes are on backwards. IDK if the car had the hood added afterwards, but maybe not considering it's a 71
  • missing OAI breather - that's a biggie
  • missing trumpet exhausts even though it has the cutout bumper
There are no pictures showing the inside of the trunk, which I suspect is rotted, and nothing showing the bottom of the car at all. The typical rust out areas have carefully been avoided in the pictures presented by the poster. Like his other 'one owner' U code car, it's a disaster waiting for someone who has more money than brains. I suspect that the engine isn't even the original based on all the other features of the car that are missing or damaged. Anyway, that's my 2¢
Think about it! The notations above are based on photographs, not a physical inspection. I had my negative experience with this seller's low mileage, original one owner '72 U code car. The car looked really good in photographs. Physically, the car looked like it was hit with a shotgun blast.
He also has "the most documented pace car" for sale.
Be careful!
Old December 10th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Allan pointed out enough of the issues to make it clear its not what it looks like. There are plenty of other items to be concerned about, from the missing hood lock to the what ever is up with the firewall. What are all those holes from? The listing has been taken down.

BTW I bet the hood stripes were not painted on backwards, I'm guessing the factory originally put the hood on backwards and the hood was painted as it should be at the dealer. Adds a lot of value.

Last edited by stevengerard; December 10th, 2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old December 10th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I can't believe I missed this in my previous post:
  • no air cleaner
  • BOTH inner fender liners are missing. WTH??? This car is supposed to be a garaged and pampered baby since 1975?? Bohica. (Bend Over Here It Comes Again).
The more I looked at this car the more angry I got that someone could pass this car off as an untouched by previous owners cars, and also by the seller. Sellers like this give the classic car hobby a real bad rep. They should stick to peddling snake oil.

From the listing:
This car is a 3 owner car (technically) but it just changed hands untouched between two collectors, myself and the collector who found this rare piece.

What do we have Lansing Michigan built 1971 442 Convertible with all original paint, virtually no rust...perfect floors, trunk, quarters, fender dog legs, rocker panels, ect.

The car has been garaged and stored in a climate controlled warehouse since 1975 and last registered in 1996. Upon the original owners death in 1996 the car was periodically started but my best guess is the car hasnt been started in 5 years or so, nor has any attempt been made to start the car. I'd assume the gas tank would need to be cleaned and the carb gone through, brakes hold but I have no knowledge as to what servicing it might need. Motor turns over fine. This is a Power Steering, Power Top, Power Disc Brake car with the W-25 option. I know this hood is original to the car insofar as the car is original paint...its a real (71-72) W-25 hood not some janky fiberglass based repop. It even has the correct early 71 backwards hood stencils...! The original W-25 air cleaner went missing (big surprise) but it still has the OEM hold downs on the valve covers...and vacuum line sitting there.

The gentleman I bought the car from didn't to anything to the car, except try his hand at rattle canning the firewall...luckily he likely had a 80% empty. can and didn't get far...the original firewall stamps are still visible under the thin veneer of krylon black.

I do believe the car to be a 33k mile car by virtue of it having the original 1Q71 plug wires on it, the unmolested and original paint on the engine block, ect.

The car has a 100% born with #'s matching drivetrain...partial vin on stamp below power steering bracket, partial vin on TH-400 pan rail, ect. I didn't check the rear end code, but I do believe 3.23 posi was standard on a non-A/C 442. It is a posi car, that I can attest to original G Heads, WZ manifolds, carb...ect. The car was parked due to the original owners. health...nothing mechanical....fires up with starting fluid!

This would be a great original car to do a sympathetic restoration to...get it running, do some minors and drive it. Its too original to restore. Original interior is in great shape, speaker holes were cut in the rear convertible side panels, a few window cranks were pirated off the car.

The trim tag is a 01D car with 977 interior and 26A paint. It has never been monkeyed with. For those of you non-Olds guys...that would be last week of January 1971...white bucket seats, Viking Blue Paint and a white convertible top.

I have not looked for a broadcast card for the car, the keys have disappeared in the past few years...the car is from the State of Massachusetts which does not title antique cars, they are bought and sold on a bill of sale..I have whatever you need to get a title in your home State...very easy...I've been through this before, easy as going to DMV with a title.

I have the POP and some documentation...

The car is what it is..
This seller is obviously so full of crap, it spews in written lies...

Last edited by Allan R; December 11th, 2018 at 06:27 AM. Reason: information update
Old December 10th, 2018, 06:11 PM

1971/1972 442 Viking Blue 442

Allan,

​​​​​​The advantage of the '71 442 is that you can identify multiple issues by the photographs. The one owner, '72 U Code, red, factory air convertible looked and was described as flawless!!
Thankfully, two (2) members knew of the seller and gave me a heads up. I couldn't believe the excellent documentation for such a rotten car.
Everything about this seller was a lie, including his reason for selling the car.