Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

sad

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2014, 06:33 PM

sad

Oldsmobile : 442 Base Hardtop 2-Door 1968 oldsmobile hurst olds 442 one owner do...
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM
72 Olds CS

wowza i did not see that coming !!!
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM

Wow, truly "burned to the ground", buy it for the data plates and maybe the heads, the sheet metal is toast..
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Speechless
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:04 PM

Hope someone had insurance...
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:13 PM

u know was kinda of excited initially read the brief excerpt needing resto. Then the pics.........
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM

so, in a case like this, what is acceptable for rebuilding this car?

so sad...
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:34 PM

The car is toast! not sure what you would be buying...
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 69442murph

so sad...

I'm not opening that can of worms lol
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
The car is toast! not sure what you would be buying...

that's a good point
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey, the guy says you can rebuild the car. He couldn't say that if it wasn't true could he. What a shame to see that happen to such a rare and nice car. I am surprised it has bid to over $3,000 and has not hit the reserve.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:29 PM

What a shame. But, "very restorable"?
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 69442murph
Well, some here think it's perfectly acceptable to have a Cutlass and take the tags from the Hurst/Olds and place them on the Cutlass to turn it into a H/O.

Then there are some who feel this is fraudulent.
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:30 PM

I would not restore the car.

First reason I would not restore it is the high heat cycle the car went through!
The second reason was it cooled down by the fireman ?
Third cost more than the car is worth!
Fourth would be very little original left of the car!

Tag swap on to a rust free 68 442 M built car ?????????????

Sad for the original owners that lost there car

Last edited by Bernhard; November 6th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

To me this would be fine for the new owner to custom build it however he wants to. No doubt if he made something significantly different to the original car it would be subject to harsh criticism from those who weren't aware of its history.
There was a similar outcry when someone showed up at a British show in a heavily modified '50s Lincoln. What most people were unaware of was that it had been a fine original car, "Cream Puff car" as it would be called over here.
Until some uninsured, unlicenced scumbag cab driver ploughed into it one cruise night and wrecked it, bent chassis, no sheet metal undamaged, a complete mess.
But the owner, rather than scrap it, rebuilt it with a roof chop, frenched lights and other custom modifications as he saw fit. As he said, he couldn't get the sheet metal anywhere, and the twisted chassis, although straightened out, had braces welded in so it wasn't feasible to restore, not for many times the cars worth anyway.

Perhaps next time we see a classic that has been turned into a lowrider or rat rod, we might consider that someone has rescued something destined for the crusher.
Of course perfectly good cars have been cut up, and I deplore this, but perhaps we shouldn't condemn them until we know the cars history.

Roger.
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Well, here we go again, that sheet metal is unusable---do we lose another '68 H/O or is it ethical to "make" that into a car again?
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Considering what a restored one has the capabilty of going for, it may be advantagious to restore it. I know in years past the sheet metal may be unusable, I wonder if there has been any improvement in sealers and paints to use in this case.
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Considering what a restored one has the capabilty of going for, it may be advantagious to restore it. I know in years past the sheet metal may be unusable, I wonder if there has been any improvement in sealers and paints to use in this case.

if the floors are not warped due to the heat I would consider such.
Supposedly from what I understand acid dip then some type of epoxy seal to follow. This what I have heard
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Shoveling Snow

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Well, here we go again, that sheet metal is unusable---do we lose another '68 H/O or is it ethical to "make" that into a car again?
At some point in time in my view yes the car is a total loss and is lost to the elements of time. The paperwork is the real value in the sale and a few engine parts.
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:12 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It got hot enough to "blue" the SS and chrome. This ones ....sorry... toast. Have to see it up close to be real sure. If the body to frame bushings are melted that means warpage in the important structures. Then the fact that the metal was quenched when hot. That will make some things pretty brittle and potentially a safety issue...frame, roof structures etc...Decent price for what this is...a parts donor. Engine trans and diff worth that.
I will never understand why when a car is in storage that the batteries are not removed and put on a trickle somewhere safe. At minimum use a battery disconnect.
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:12 AM

How can they say rust free when you can clearly see the oxidation (rust) all over the car..
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM

It seems whenever I sell a car on eBay I always get the question as to whether she'll make the drive to their house without any breakdowns. I'm tempted to ask the seller the same question on this one.

Chris
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:46 AM

A documented tag swap to save a piece of history or a tribute car with some link to a real H/O.
I have no problem with it as long as it is clear to all what the car really is.
Hate to see any go to the crusher.
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
A documented tag swap to save a piece of history or a tribute car with some link to a real H/O.
I have no problem with it as long as it is clear to all what the car really is.
Hate to see any go to the crusher.

I agree hope someone can save it
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Of course it's restorable

I'm sure that cowl can be saved and I'm pretty sure they repro cowl tags. I'll bet the frame is good too.

If you guys really wanted to ensure that this car has a documented history of the damage you'd post this number:

344878M389636
so it can be searched for the rest of internet eternity
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM

Dead

That car is dead & lost forever. It has a few useable parts. I am pained by the loss of a 1968 HO but that car is gone.
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
It got hot enough to "blue" the SS and chrome. This ones ....sorry... toast. Have to see it up close to be real sure. If the body to frame bushings are melted that means warpage in the important structures. Then the fact that the metal was quenched when hot. That will make some things pretty brittle and potentially a safety issue...frame, roof structures etc...Decent price for what this is...a parts donor. Engine trans and diff worth that.
I will never understand why when a car is in storage that the batteries are not removed and put on a trickle somewhere safe. At minimum use a battery disconnect.
Really body to frame bushings melted LOL they are rubber with steel of course it melted the rubber off. I don't know about getting new tags? After looking at pictures i think and i use that word think loosely it can be saved. There didn't appear to have sheet metal warpage and if you look close the seat material is still there some off it. The floor looked go on the bottom as well as frame not sagging notice the rubber still on some off the wheels. My Dad used to burn cars at his salvage and the bodys warped real bad from the heat this one appears to got put out before the that happened. If bell housing on tranny was melted it is a junk tranny. The engine could be saved if tore down soon so could the rearend. Truly sad to see.
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Now that I can take my time and type rather than fool with trying to do it in a phone, I will add a few thoughts:
If the breakdown of the hardtops with A/C vs. non-A/C, this is a pretty rare and desirable unit....(we knew that) and the drivetrain is of value, of course MORE value if tied to a car that "matches" the all-important numbers.
I would think the sheet metal is useless---unless a new product has been developed that I am unaware of, I don't think any paint will ever adhere properly. As for using the frame-?- not unless a qualified metallurgist has performed tests and determined it to be sound. I've seen "hotter" fire jobs than this, so testing would be worthwhile and might possibly yield favorable results.
If the car IS resurrected, which will most likely require some type of re-body, hiding that fact will be near impossible now that it has been advertised worldwide. A well-documented restoration coupled with the original paperwork will give this car a new lease on life.
I wouldn't be shocked if the car ISN'T restored, but left in it's present state and displayed as such. I visited the Peter Mullin Museum in California a couple of years ago, and in on display there was a Bugatti that was found in the bottom of a lake. The car had a very interesting history and was not restored---literally drug from the bottom of a lake and on display---actually, pretty neat.
And lastly....I NEVER heard of any showroom tuned '68 Hurst Olds running 13.24!!!
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Shoveling Snow

The fire was hot enough to melt the zinc trim.
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Now that I can take my time and type rather than fool with trying to do it in a phone, I will add a few thoughts:
If the breakdown of the hardtops with A/C vs. non-A/C, this is a pretty rare and desirable unit....(we knew that) and the drivetrain is of value, of course MORE value if tied to a car that "matches" the all-important numbers.
I would think the sheet metal is useless---unless a new product has been developed that I am unaware of, I don't think any paint will ever adhere properly. As for using the frame-?- not unless a qualified metallurgist has performed tests and determined it to be sound. I've seen "hotter" fire jobs than this, so testing would be worthwhile and might possibly yield favorable results.
If the car IS resurrected, which will most likely require some type of re-body, hiding that fact will be near impossible now that it has been advertised worldwide. A well-documented restoration coupled with the original paperwork will give this car a new lease on life.
I wouldn't be shocked if the car ISN'T restored, but left in it's present state and displayed as such. I visited the Peter Mullin Museum in California a couple of years ago, and in on display there was a Bugatti that was found in the bottom of a lake. The car had a very interesting history and was not restored---literally drug from the bottom of a lake and on display---actually, pretty neat.
And lastly....I NEVER heard of any showroom tuned '68 Hurst Olds running 13.24!!!
Dave you are out of your league when it comes to getting paint to adhere to the body again.
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Anyone who saw the thread about my car knows my feelings on this subject.
This is a special, high value, matching number car with documentation.
Potential for fraud is high.
Considering the degree of heat to which this car was obviously exposed,
it would be a large miracle if the sheet metal was not warped beyond restoring.
What could be salvaged from the original car other than the drive train and possibly the frame?
To resurrect this car would almost definitely require, rebodying.
To keep everyone honest, if it IS resurrected OR sold as-is, it should have the title converted to a salvage title.
As was discussed before, in many states, including mine, it is technically illegal to do it any other way.
I have to suspect the restoration shop selling the car and offering to do a restoration, will quietly rebody it
and keep the original title as I've said I wish to do with mine.
As I've stated before, intent is a very big factor in how it's handled.

Last edited by 67442nut; November 7th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 67442nut
Anyone who saw the thread about my car knows my feelings on this subject.
This is a special, high value, matching number car with documentation.
Potential for fraud is high.
Considering the degree of heat to which this car was obviously exposed,
it would be a large miracle if the sheet metal was not warped beyond restoring.
What could be salvaged from the original case other than the drive train and possibly the frame?
To resurrect this car would almost definitely require, rebodying.
To keep everyone honest, if it IS resurrected OR sold as-is, it should have the title converted to a salvage title.
As was discussed before, in many states, including mine, it is technically illegal to do it any other way.
I have to suspect the restoration shop selling the car and offering to do a restoration, will quietly rebody it
and keep the original title as I've said I wish to do with mine.
As I've stated before, intent is a very big factor in how it's handled.
If it wasn't insured then it will not carry a salvage title and as far as heat! Did you notice the drivers door glass was shattered not melted. Some of you guys really should talk to someone who has reworked this type off stuff not give your .02 There are three here who stated stuff that isn't correct.I have worked on sheet metal that was burnt not warped and paint was applied and didn't have any problems. Can this car be saved maybe. I know you guys may take this wrong i hope not.
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
If it wasn't insured then it will not carry a salvage title and as far as heat! Did you notice the drivers door glass was shattered not melted. Some of you guys really should talk to someone who has reworked this type off stuff not give your .02 There are three here who stated stuff that isn't correct.I have worked on sheet metal that was burnt not warped and paint was applied and didn't have any problems. Can this car be saved maybe. I know you guys may take this wrong i hope not.
Not taking you wrong. You may be absolutely right.
Shifter **** and window crank ***** are not melted, although steering wheel is.
Upholstery is not totally burned either, but, a lot depends on where the heat was the most intense.
I've worked smaller areas of overheated sheet metal, heated to a lesser degree than this
and it was warped to the point of requiring a lot of time to be right.
If MIG welding a patch panel into an otherwise good panel can create enough heat to warp it,
I have to think the chances of a car that was hot enough to do the damage in the pics
being salvageable aren't good.
However, even though I had to roll my eyes on the "very salvageable",
the restorer has the advantage of a close up, first hand inspection and is seeing a relatively smooth body.
I hope you're right. I'd hate to see 1 of 515 '68 H/O's cease to exist or have a corrupt history.

Last edited by 67442nut; November 7th, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:07 PM

The sheet metal could be brought back into shape and I don't see any paint problems if the surface is prepped right.

The issue I have would be the metal and what state is it in!
When metal gets heated it changes its structure, when metal is heated and cooled rapidly it changes it structure again.
When I was in trade school they drummed in to us that we must return the car to pre -collision / pre- damage condition.
This means the car must drive and crash as it would have when it was new.
Rules came in when the factory started using high strength steel as to how the metal was to be treated so that we could return cars to there original state.
I would not restore the car because I do not know the state the metal is in. The car could look perfect and drive perfect but how can one insure that it will crash as the engineers designed it to.
I could also not insure that the frame or body would not suffer structural failure do to the heat and cooling cycle it went through.
The metal could be in brittle state from the heat cycle or re-working from repair.

Last edited by Bernhard; November 7th, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Being this car was next to the one that burnt originally, would the severity be the same?
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:36 PM

Sad as it is sometimes you just have to let them go. Theres not one square inch of this car that wont need work. It will need Everything! replaced or repaired, plated, painted. It would cost alot more to repair it than its worth IMO. Many normally reusable parts will have to be found and replaced along with the normally replaced parts. All electrical, dash, gauges, wiring, brake and fuel, all bushings, lights and lenses, EVERYTHING needs something or replaced.
However I guess thats kind of what im doing to my non burned 67, so i guess it can be done so long as future owners know the history.

Last edited by steverw; November 7th, 2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: more
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:44 AM

What a shame!!!!

Must be me, but I think that steering wheel is kinda cool the way it is in the picture. The fire must have got awfully hot to melt all that plastic off the wheel.
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:10 AM

Im not positive but I believe this is the same car that sold thru a salvage auction ( Co Part) a few years ago. It sold then for somewhere around the 10,000 range. My son was bidding on it and stopped well short of that.

Greg
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:41 AM

wr1970, please explain your comment about being out of my league....are you saying paint will or will not adhere to this sheet metal? I've always been under the "assumption" that once the metallurgy changes, adhesion then becomes a problem. My knowledge is somewhat limited, so I'd welcome any information to be stored up in the old "noggin".
Sure, I've seen some fire jobs repaired, but I haven't seen those cars years after the repair.

Last edited by Dave Siltman; November 8th, 2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old November 8th, 2014, 06:43 AM

wr1970, please explain your comment about being out if my league....are you saying paint will or will not adhere to this sheet metal? I've always been under the "assumption" that once the metallurgy changes, adhesion then becomes a problem. My knowledge is somewhat limited, so I'd welcome any information to be stored up in the old "noggin".
Sure, I've seen some fire jobs repaired, but I haven't seen those cars years after the repair.
I am not trying to start a fight you are just plain wrong about the way paint will not stick to metal after it has been burnt. There is several indicators that this car was put out by water. Anyone ever tempered steel? What was used in the day was water that is why i think the frame is okay. What told me that was tires not totally burnt up and interior not totally burned up. Sheet metal on the car didn't appear badly warped.If you guys would have magnified as close up shot there are other details that show up to support. This car lost paint and rubber parts but not the front seats covering and shifter which leads one to think the fire was being put out while burning. Would be restorable i think so. I would need to see in person. No different from frame off and new paint, new interior, rebuilding the drivetrain. More like a field car that had set a long time and need every thing soft. Cost would be a lot and need ground up restore. The body tag replacement is what i don't know is legal to do. No way in hell would i rebody this car! What it would come down to is how bad you want a 1968 hurst and your talent at being able to rebuild it. Having a pro do it might be more than buying one done. Labor isn't cheap on these old cars. I am done posting on this like i said not trying to pick a fight.

Quick Reply: sad