Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

68 442 Convertible for sale

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:12 AM
Gary

68 442 Convertible for sale

How can one tell if this 68 convertible is a 442? The owner indicates it has a 442 engine in it.But of course he is mistaken on that. Also in looking at the pictures on the frame can anyone tell if the frame has rust thru? I can't tell. The car is now on e bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...#ht_103wt_1362
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:31 AM

VIN starting with 344 confirms this is a real 442. Can't tell whether the frame is good, most common areas for rust-through aren't pictured. However, those areas that are visible don't look that bad.
Steve
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:32 AM

email the current owner have him take a pic of vin.
Vin will need to start w/ 344 if a 442
correct engine would be 400 so yes mistaken
funny I was looking at the pics as well and it was hard to tell. or just really scaly
But email seller
hope that helps
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:55 AM

I would have to look at it in person before making a bid. Jmo, Ken
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I would have to look at it in person before making a bid. Jmo, Ken
That is what I really,really want to do. but I am here in Houston,Tx and unfortunately I am going to have to depend on pictures, Looks like the car is in Indiana. Can't travel there in the winter. On my present car learned my lesson on rusted cars on ebay.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM

I do like how he says "126,062 original miles." With that many miles, who gives a **** whether they're original or not?

I do credit him for being honest and stating that it's 126,062 and not 26,062.

Also, do you mean that "442" is not the engine displacement? Go figure!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM

"344678W351850" VIN

Really, a "W" plant?

I see it cited as having "a 442 engine" not a "442 CID" engine.
Power brakes, AC, gages pkg. Wood wheel.

somebody resurrect it!

Last edited by Octania; December 23rd, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
email the current owner have him take a pic of vin.
Vin will need to start w/ 344 if a 442
correct engine would be 400 so yes mistaken
funny I was looking at the pics as well and it was hard to tell. or just really scaly
But email seller
hope that helps
I sent this seller two different questions. The first one being did he have title in hand and the second one would he take pictures of the vin and describe what he meant by the body is ok underneath, I also asked him what the frame and floors were like. He did not reply to either of my questions but did an update on the discription which is what he initially posted. here is his reply

On Dec-26-13 at 06:20:00 PST, seller added the following information:

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 Convertible, "BARN FIND", Engine is a 400 with a Turbo Automatic Transmission. This car is a great project car. Stock Wheels. Most everything is there and not in bad shape for it's age. 126,062 Original Miles showing on the Odometer. This is an Air Condition Convertible. Power Steering & Power Brakes. Body is in good condition and underneath is not in to bad condition. Interior is rough but all there. Car has been in storage for several years. Car runs and drives (Lot Driver). What you see is what you get. Be the first on your block to own one of these Bad Boy Convertibles.
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:53 AM

how can you go wrong with a sales pitch like this, obviously he knows what hes talking about! "Be the first on your block to own one of these Bad Boy Convertibles."
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
Engine is a 400 with a Turbo Automatic Transmission. This car is a great project car. Stock Wheels. Most everything is there and not in bad shape for it's age.
The motor has been messed with. I'd check the numbers to make sure its a matching 400G (based on the revised info I say it's not). The valve covers are blue and from what I can see I think the block is red. The carb looks messed with too. Obviously the air cleaner isn't original. The car has had a paint job. The frame looks pretty decent but the body seems to have the typical 68-69 rust. The wheels may be correct but they weren't painted body color in 68. Other than that it's pretty complete. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it without checking it over and at least getting a good pic of the cowl tag. I'd also make sure that any paperwork for the car doesn't have the W in the VIN. The M's in the VIN looks a lot like a W and if they screwed up somewhere along the line you may have trouble getting registered if the paperwork says W.

Last edited by allyolds68; December 26th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
how can you go wrong with a sales pitch like this, obviously he knows what hes talking about! "Be the first on your block to own one of these Bad Boy Convertibles."
Too late
I was first on the block to do that years ago.
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The motor has been messed with. I'd check the numbers to make sure its a matching 400G (based on the revised info I say it's not). The valve covers are blue and from what I can see I think the block is red. The carb looks messed with too. Obviously the air cleaner isn't original. The car has had a paint job. The frame looks pretty decent but the body seems to have the typical 68-69 rust. The wheels may be correct but they weren't painted body color in 68. Other than that it's pretty complete. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it without checking it over and at least getting a good pic of the cowl tag. I'd also make sure that any paperwork for the car doesn't have the W in the VIN. The M's in the VIN looks a lot like a W and if they screwed up somewhere along the line you may have trouble getting registered if the paperwork says W.
I agree with you, that is one of the reasons I asked him if he had the title in hand. I will not bid anymore on this car unless he gives me the information I asked him. Another thing I see is that the trunk is full of parts, my 72 442 was like that and once I got it, I ended up replacing the trunk and the floors.So he might be hiding the condition of the trunk, I can't tell from the pictures. good pictures will make a car sell faster in my opinion.My neighbor just recently bought a 65 Mustang Coupe and he was very disappointed once he got the car. The floor board on the passengers side was rusted away. They sent him pictures of the the drivers side which was ok. But my thing is if someone wants to sell something especially a 40 yr old classic then pictures are a must when you can't see it in person
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM

"Show me well lit photos of worst parts of the car" is a good buyer request. Then if it gets ugly later, like the OTHER half of the floor is rusty, you have a leg to stand on- what happened to showing me the WORST part, like I asked for?

Grading is subjective. People can miss rust holes in the frame with a semi-rectal examination, even if they are honest as can be.

I agree, that seller is lazy and/or hiding something, hoping for a buyer that won't investigate much.
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The seller finally sent me a reply "Floors and Trunk are solid. Trunk & Floor has some rust on them but no holes. I have title. Vin# 344678M351850".NO... Both are solid. Has some surface rust but no holes".

But still no pictures lol. now he is saying the vin has a "M". at this point I don't know what to think but I do know I am not bidding
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:47 AM

I know the seller's place. They're primarily a Mustang & other Ford resto shop, but also do high quality restos on others. It's about an hour from me... & I have a bunch a relatives in that area.

http://www.vailsclassics.com/

If it's still for sale (doesn't sell by) next week and if someone here really wants add'l info.... I might be able to do a personal recon on it....