Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1 owner original paint 1974 442

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM

1 owner original paint 1974 442

Listing this for a non member. Contact him directly for details. He is the original owner of this fine car & wants it to go to someone who will treasure it. I know little about this car other than it is a 1 owner 442 powered by 350 & a T350. Cranberry red with white interior sporting buckets, console & SS 111 rims (should be the bolt on cap type). If it was a 73 I would be on it like a dog on a pork chop. Great color combo!

rjwojdy@verizon.net

I stored my 442 in the Bradys Bend Facility (http://bradysbend.com/) for over 20 years. In 2005 I took it out and I had a local mechanic (442 guy) replace all fluids, hoses, belts, brakes, tires, plugs, plug wires, etc. and give it a complete tune-up. I have the receipts for most of everything back to 1974. Since 2005 I have driven the car 1,000 miles over the last 8+ years and during that time replaced the shocks and battery (this week). It starts and runs strong... but could use another tune-up. The only adds to the car are headers and a holley carburetor.

Unfortunately, my 442 does have a wart. In 1979 a Navy truck hit the front drivers fender. I had it repaired but (thinking ahead) at the same time I also bought a new (NOS) fender and chrome headlight trim that I have held onto all of these years.

So there you have it.

I have no idea what it is worth. I appreciate your help and when the time comes I'd like to see it in the right hands. Please feel free to help educate and point me in the right direction.

Take care, Ron

Here are the pictures. Paint is largely original but is oxidized. I have encourage Ron to LEAVE THE CAR ORIGINAL & NOT repaint it. If you are looking for a very original 1974 442 this might be your car.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM

wow great car, I have no clue the value but it looks like a great find. I think these are undervalued and under appreciated. Does this car have the swivel seat?

What's the big difference between a 73 and a 74 that makes you not want this one.?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:36 PM

Wow, that's nice, and I'm guessing it's not very far from me. That's one of my favorite color combos in 73-75 cars. Did he list his asking price anywhere?
Terry
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

great looking car but # 8 smog headed L34 350 just does not do the car justice, fuel sipping OPEC days, also first year for the xx large 5 mile per hr bumper regulations. 73 is a quicker and cleaner look. Paint it ebony black with that white interior plus stripe kit and you have a hurst/olds. No; this one is to nice to do that ... rust free body and all. These 73 -77 intermediates are prone to rust and most just were just not worth fixing... Hard to find one in this condition. good luck with the sale.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Old School Olds

I had one of these in High School.Silver with maroon stripes and maroon interior. 350/350 swivel buckets, sportwheel, 3 gauge cluster... It was a great car. Hope you find it a good home. I really like thetaillights on the 74's. Gotta love the rockets.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:04 PM

update

Here is an update on this car with more details. Again note that I do not know the owner nor the car. I am just trying to help out a fellow Olds enthusiast. I hope the car finds an owner who will care for it as well as Ron has.

Thanks Dave,

I received 5 emails sent directly to me. Rest assured, I will not paint the car! You have introduced me to a very active group of enthusiasts. I encountered 2 bargain hunters as could be expected and others with serious and thoughtful advice, much like yourself. I was pointed to the Hagerty site which was helpful and I was also advised to have patience. As I shared with you and the others who have emailed, I am new to this process. So it was good when it was recommended that I take offers and field questions for a few weeks or even into the new year. Based upon what I have learned and after 40 years of TLC I am going to ask $18,000 but I believe that it is worth close to $25,000 as a one owner surviver 442.

I purchased my 442 new in July 1974 when I was a Navy Midshipman just as it sat in the show room at Brandt Oldsmobile in Pittsburgh, PA. It has power steering, power brakes, swivel bucket seats and sport wheels. It was immediately Zeibarted and has no rust issues. Here is the progression over the life of the car: I drove it for 2 years during my last couple of years of college, then stored for 2 years while overseas, drove it as a second car for eight years, stored for almost 20 more years while overseas and finishing my Navy career. I removed it from the Bradys Bend climate controlled storage facility in 2005 and it has been in my garage and driven only 1,000 miles since then. The car has 100,954 original miles.

Please feel free to post all of the above to give everyone more complete information. Enjoy your weekend!

Take care, Ron