Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

68 442 hardtop matching numbers

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM

68 442 hardtop matching numbers

I'm putting some feelers out for anybody that may be SERIOUSLY in the market for a 68 442. Mine is a code K turquoise hardtop with original 400 engine, Turbo 400, black bucket seat & console interior. Lansing built late 67, 34487 VIN.

I bought this car a few years ago locally here from a guy (now about 70) who owned it since about 1985. I remember seeing the car running around on occasion and it was not abused, still had the original paint and was (and still is) straight and mostly rust free. It is all original and every number matches except for the starter. He had the engine rebuilt about 30k ago and it runs strong & well. The Turbo 400 is original and shifts well, the rear is the original 3.08 open type. It has around 150k miles at present but will go look to verify. He had one of his buddies repaint the car about 10-12 years ago and it is an amateur job at best, I call it lousy and wish they hadn't touched it at all, but oh well, at least i know it is original underneath the one repaint. The body is what I would consider very good to great for a Northwest car, it has a little rust here & there but not a basket case by any means requiring major work to restore. NO body panel replacement will be necessary!!! I am quite pleased with the body & frame condition and it's WAY better than most I look at in this region. every panel is original and the car was never wrecked.

Right now I'm going through and cleaning up the engine compartment, interior, etc. It was sitting in his garage for quite some time since he had begun to have health issues, so it was in need of some attention to get it running/driving well again. I have already bought some parts and had rebuilt/cleaned up/painted many items like alt, starter, belts, tune up parts, battery cables, master cylinder, pulleys, water pump, brackets, etc etc. I still need to get some exhaust and tires on it, then re-assemble the interior back in. I know that it will need the front lower fenders patched and a patch on the drivers heel floor only. The trunk pan and all inner bracing is excellent & solid as are the rest of the floors. The doors are excellent all around, the quarters may need some very small patches at the bottom edge directly behind the rear wheels, maybe not, as they look great inside & out. Great trunk lid, great hood, over all a very nice body for a 45 year old car that's never been restored. All the front end plastic including the grill is original and NONE of it is broken! The bumpers should be replated but they are not rotted at all. It may need some patching around the front & rear glass but should not be major since there is not evidence of really bad leaking. The vinyl top is original and in amazingly good shape still. The exterior trim is all here and in really good shape over all. There are a few dings/scratches in some of the stainless but none is destroyed. I will include a nice extra passenger side wing window & frame, as the original looks to have been a victim of a break-in attempt with dented chrome and chipped glass in one spot.

The car is relatively low optioned and has pwr steering, manual drum brakes, buckets/console, rear window defog, AM radio & SSI chrome wheels. The color combo is striking and would be absolutely fantastic with a fresh high quality paint job!

The interior is all original but could use new front seat covers (not completely tattered though). It needs a carpet kit and rear package tray as those items are beyond re-use. The back seat is pretty nice, the door panels are usable but have some wear & warping, the headliner looks pretty good, the dash housing & pad are excellent, no cracks. Console & shifter are nice. The wiring is all good and everything works well that is electrical except the radio, but it is there.

I need to be at 10k to let this one go. I'm not interested in trades or low-balling, I don't need to be hounded by picture collectors either as I'm quite busy most of the time. I will have this car wrapped up and ready to drive away or onto a transporter's trailer in the next few weeks. So if you are serious let me know. Here's a few pic's I took while working on it here last month. I am located just west of Seattle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7006.jpg (84.0 KB, 95 views)
IMG_7002.jpg (95.2 KB, 91 views)
IMG_7000.jpg (80.8 KB, 92 views)
IMG_7016.jpg (85.2 KB, 99 views)
IMG_7047.jpg (65.0 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by 442mark; September 23rd, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Looks very nice and a fair price.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM

oldcutlass- thanks for the kind words sir! Yes it is a real decent buy for someone craving an all original 68 442 in a great color. Also, just to answer a couple of inquiries, yes it is all here except the jack but I may have one to put in. The original air cleaner, heat shroud, correct 7028251 Qjet and X/Y exhaust manifolds are in place on the engine. I took the bumper off to see if I could press out a couple of very shallow dents from the backside (they look like they were made by a tow truck or cop car push bar at one time). I have all of the interior except the deteriorated package tray & carpet. I decided to pull the interior for a few reasons: to give it all a good cleaning, search for a build sheet (none found, Lansing car, imagine that) and to check the floors for rust and inside doors & quarters for rust or damage. I did find a small amount of filler in a shallow dent in the passenger side quarter ahead of the wheel well, not bad at all. Found no rot in either of them or the doors. Bottoms of doors & seams are all sweet. Doors shut nice. The seam all around the trunk lid is nice. The tail panel is super clean, as is the weatherstrip lip all the way around the trunk opening. I did find some rust along the bottom of the rear glass on that ledge that the window sets on, it is not all rotted out but will need attention to stop it from spreading. It is not visable with the stainless trim installed. One last thing i forgot to mention, It has the optional 3 spoke N34 woodgrain steering wheel, it is nice but has one crack at the 6 o'clock position.