Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1936 Olds Touring Sedan ***Movie Car***

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM

1936 Olds Touring Sedan ***Movie Car***

1936 OldsmobileSedan. Movie car (extra in Driving Ms. Daisy and Fried Green Tomatoes. Currently featured at the North Texas Auto Museum. All original except paint and remnants of seat covers. Many rare options. Drives and runs good. Everything is there it is just 75 years old. Dual side mounts. First year for in-dash AM radio and it works. Inline 6 cylinder. 6 volt system. Clock, cigar lighter, rear privacy shade, blanket holder, fog lamps, split opera windows, heater, dual tail lights, and much more.

So here is the story I was told when I bought the car (take it for what it is worth). It was a one owner from the Atlanta area. Not titled from the broker who located the car and sold it to me. A doctor owned the car and in his later years he would use it every weekend to go fishing nearby. The car was used as an extra in Driving Ms. Daisy and Fried Green Tomatoes. To make it look like they had more cars, the producers in Driving Ms. Daisy painted the car maroon – its current color. They also covered the mole hair seats with a green vinyl cover to protect it.

Later I rented the movies and the car is there – black and maroon in Driving Ms. Daisy. This car is too distinctive to miss. I have not titled the car and other than rent the movies, I have never followed up on the story or the prior owner, etc. I bought the car because I loved it, not because of the story. So yes it is sold as is where is. Without the story it is still a great car!

Several years ago, I put it in an Oldsmobile show, as is, and a senior national judge told me that it had many rare options and most likely was never wrecked because it still had its dual side mounts (war era and steel was scarce so if the fender was damaged it would just get a standard replacement fender. After the war, the parts not available and he said he did not see anything that was not original other than the normal part replacements and the movie changes. I started quoting him “every things original - just 64 years old (now 75 years old).” I have several old cars and I have never seen another era car with as many options as this one has, for example most cars do not have the split opera windows.

I have owned the car for almost ten years and I have not titled it. I was going to modernize it, but after I learned it was all original and had many rare options, I could not bring my self to modernize it, even though it would be worth much more if I had. Now it has just sat in my garage for about the last 10 years – being occasionally driven.It is old so you should expect things like seat covers and door panels to be coming apart. I know of no rust or metal damage. So not sure if I really want to sell, but for the right price, I told my wife I would let it go.

The car is in DallasTexas area and buyer is responsible for pick up and delivery. Delivery will only be made after cash or a verified and confirmed payment has been completed with no chance of cancellation (too many scams).

$18,000 obo. Email brains2w@hotmail.com for any questions or more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20111202_111020.jpg (77.4 KB, 59 views)
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM

I'd take it home if i could. Very nice looking car. I love the lines. Good luck . I hope it finds a nice garage. cheerio Orrick
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:41 AM

If I had the space for it, I would be all over it.
Heck that musuem is not too far away from me, AND I have free admission tickets!