Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1963 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2018, 06:06 PM

1963 Super 88

Last edited by B964; June 19th, 2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:09 PM

$9,000. Binghamton NY area.

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday
39,777 miles shown as of 6/18/18 believed to be correct.

Sold new at Cheplo Oldsmobile in Gowanda NY near Buffalo. I have the original bill of sale, window sticker and photo of original owner on or shortly after purchase day.

He passed away 1998 ish and his wife Violet held on to the car till she passed around 2009 and it was sold in estate sale.

Aged Midnight Mist blue has some purple highlights and my wife has always refereed to the car as Violet. It was obviously well cared for and stored indoors thou over 55 years has accumulated some dents, dings,surface corrosion, imperfections and repainted panels.

I have had it since 2011 and put about 3,000 miles on it. Always stored indoors. Includes a car cover that I use in winter. Has a few rips that I poorly sewed up. Predominantly non-ethanol fuel and stabilizers used. Has only been in the rain once since I got it.

Only modifications from stock are new (Wheel Vintiques) 15 inch steel wheels, 235/70/15 tires, poverty caps, trim rings and a Flow Master muffler. The original 14 inch wheels (all still have the sheet metal dust/mud guards) and full caps with bias ply white walls are included.

Body:
Solid. No rust holes or repairs found. Spots behind both rear wheels have some corrosion about quarter size. I have not taken lower trim off and done anything other than put some touch up paint on the spots. Panel alignment above average. Doors, hood and truck close like a new car or better. Paint shines well. Looks great and extremely presentable but is worn, checked, crows footed, thin and full of character. Floor pans and truck floors are solid with no signs of holes. High humidity Upstate NY storage in best of conditions will get some surface corrosion on undercarriage that was wire brushed and encapsulated. Fuel tank had a seam pin hole repair. Rear bumper has spot at l/r mounting bracket. A better rear bumper would be hard to find so it's a candidate for repair. All chrome and trim are above average. Body side trim with bushed insert is almost flawless. All glass appears original and is the clearest, cleanest glass I have ever seen on a 55 year old car. No hazing, de-laminating, or scratches. R/F window track to glass bracket has a connection repair.

Interior:
Here the pictures tell the story. Almost flawless. Front seat has two small white spots (l/f near seat belt). Carpet in a hair sun faded in spots and headliner has a wrinkle at rear sail panels. All gauges work. Has Autotronic eye (never tried it) and rear defrost. Ventilation system completely operational. All vacuum lines and controls correct routed and functioning. It is the most beautiful vent ever. On max with windows down and wing windows open fresh air abounds with zero turbulence. Heater core is bypassed and needs repair or replace. Radio (AM) in perfect working order and pulls stations crystal clear.

Engine/Trans:
Ultra High Compression 394 V8, 4 barrel Rochester 4GC, Roto-Hydramatic transmission. Runs great. No smoke or noise. Plenty of power. Yearly oil changes with Valvoline VR1 10w30 and Delco filter. Fuel pump replaced this month with reman from Fusick. It was leaking fuel and oil externally. New thermostat. There was a small dribble of coolant from t-stat and I was worried it was the housing it self. Turns out it was just the gasket. Water pump and hoses were replaced 2011. I still have the original pump. It didn't leak but shaft had some play. At some point engine got some paint sprayed on it. A bit to orange. When I did the water pump I shot some Ford red on it but was not trying to repaint engine just protect the metal. As you can see it is presentable. Carb rebuilt by professional with 50 years of 4GC experience. Transmission works as intended. Fluid is full and clean. Shifts good, no abnormal noises.

Suspension, steering and brakes:
All in very good order. Rear springs replaced in 2011 (Fusick supplied) and all four shocks. Rides firm and sure, Ball joints and steering joints tight and smooth. Rubber bushings all intact with some checking and dryness. No noises or rattles. Power Drum brakes were overhauled in 2010 ish. They will put your face into the windshield if you stand on them. Brakes straight and true. After extended storage they will stick and groan for first stop or two.

Sad to part with her but we are on verge of retirement.

Slimming down to light and mobile. Maybe escape from NY. "Selling this **it-hole and buying me a condo." (Quote from movie "Christine")

This car is a straight up honest 55 year old survivor. I want to be as straight up and honest also.

I want to see it go to an Olds enthusiast and willing to make a deal so that happens. Could have started on E-Bay at $27,000 but realistic average value is $9,500. This car is above average. Any picture requests or questions will be answered promptly.

Last edited by B964; July 26th, 2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: I spell like a drunken sailor
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:44 PM

beautiful car.glws
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:48 PM

The pics show a nice 63 few questions. Is the non/AC ventilation system all working-lots of vacuum lines there? Has the front suspension-primarily the upper and lower ball joints been replaced-brakes and lines?? How's the floors and trunk pans? Slim Jim trans been overhauled? Where is the rust-please show me? What needs attention?? Please provide more details. Could I drive it back to Dallas?? Thank you sir.
Old June 19th, 2018, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
The pics show a nice 63 few questions. Is the non/AC ventilation system all working-lots of vacuum lines there? Has the front suspension-primarily the upper and lower ball joints been replaced-brakes and lines?? How's the floors and trunk pans? Slim Jim trans been overhauled? Where is the rust-please show me? What needs attention?? Please provide more details. Could I drive it back to Dallas?? Thank you sir.
See above. Added a couple pictures and included my sales pitch. Your questions are answered there. The pictures of rust spots on quarter look worse than they are. will try tonight for abetter shot. I have trouble with my I-Phone communicating with my I-Mac if you can believe that so text and pictures are separate.

Could you drive her to Texas? Yes. Would it be 100% guaranteed trouble free? Boy, if I could predict that. LOL. Would I try it? Sure, thou transport would be more prudent.

Last edited by B964; June 19th, 2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old June 19th, 2018, 05:03 AM

Old June 19th, 2018, 06:31 AM

Boy I wish I had the room and some extra cash this is a rare opportunity. If I didn't have my 61 I'd be all over this. GLWS sir.
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 61Bat
Boy I wish I had the room and some extra cash this is a rare opportunity. If I didn't have my 61 I'd be all over this. GLWS sir.
You're the person this car is looking for.
Feels like the selling price is to low.
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Very nice survivor, especially with the original documentation and factory window sticker. Very well optioned when ordered. Other than Flowmaster muffler, a personal opinion on the brand product, nicely maintained.
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Very nice survivor, especially with the original documentation and factory window sticker. Very well optioned when ordered. Other than Flowmaster muffler, a personal opinion on the brand product, nicely maintained.
Yeah Flowmasters are junk. It sounds good mostly because it has a resonator at end of system. Easily changed.
Old June 29th, 2018, 01:44 AM

Still looking to make a deal. $9,500

Last edited by B964; August 4th, 2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:19 AM

Make an offer. I am motivated to sell.
Old July 21st, 2018, 04:26 AM

Going to put on EBAY later this weekend. I'll post a link then.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:59 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323361462258
Old August 4th, 2018, 10:47 AM

SOLD. Going to a great home.
$9,500