Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

W31? on Minnesota craigslist

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Maintained

W31? on Minnesota craigslist

not mine. thought i would share for someone else.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...372264122.html

Old December 16th, 2017, 08:05 AM

cool

Good find. Shared it on the W-31 page on Facebook.
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Appears that the data tag is missing.
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:31 AM
MOTORHEAD

I guess you can polish almost....
anything

That does not make it w31
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Appears that the data tag is missing.
No pictures of it, but if you look close it appears to be there.

Has some telltale things on it like the ram-air hose clips and holes in the fenderwells.

This air cleaner is for sale not to far away either.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/6401073144.html
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM
MOTORHEAD

Call Randy on this
ask if there is
"any" scrap of truth as to this being legit w car???

he is a "member" here
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two

I guess you can polish almost....
anything
That does not make it w31
They polished/painted the outside and bought decals, for sure. Sounds like little else is left from the original. I wonder if its even for sale, it was posted on Craigslist about a month ago. Lots of work needed too.

Who's "Randy" ?
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:24 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
They polished/painted the outside and bought decals, for sure. Sounds like little else is left from the original. I wonder if its even for sale, it was posted on Craigslist about a month ago. Lots of work needed too.

Who's "Randy" ?
641-220-5670

yes he has a car for sale

talked to him

never will be able to verify as this b w31
Old December 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
641-220-5670

yes he has a car for sale

talked to him

never will be able to verify as this b w31

My guess is that the "condition" of "whats left" of the car is probably overstated too. The $7,000 might even be a little high ? I'd hate to buy another "project" right now, and thats exactly what it would be.
Ralph
Old December 16th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Senior Moment Member

It says W-31 right on the fender. Duh!
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:13 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by z11375ss
It says W-31 right on the fender. Duh!
I did not sell him
some W chicongo stickers
did you????
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:13 PM

It is my car and I am waiting for someone to prove to me it is NOT a W31 but most are tire kickers and would just rather say it is not! I guess all without broadcast cards are not legit ehh? (we know that very few have correct engine) I guess that is what I get for being honest description! It has cowl tag and has NOT been Polished by No Means! LOL
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Olds24
I guess all without broadcast cards are not legit ehh?
Unfortunately in 68-69 even the Broadcast Card won't tell you if it's a W31.
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:31 PM

I believe that one has been on there for a while now
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by shockrebuild
I believe that one has been on there for a while now
You are Correct and not 1 Tire Kicker has as much as came to take a look or make an offer! Imagine that!
Old December 16th, 2017, 03:45 PM
MOTORHEAD

back to the top

Old December 16th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Maintained

You are Correct and not 1 Tire Kicker has as much as came to take a look or make an offer! Imagine that!
Well I hoped this would get some attention when I posted it. Better than being on the last page on Craigslist. Being discussed on here and Facebook is not going to hurt. I think it's legit from what I can see.
Best wishes on the sale.
Old December 16th, 2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by scottv442
Well I hoped this would get some attention when I posted it. Better than being on the last page on Craigslist. Being discussed on here and Facebook is not going to hurt. I think it's legit from what I can see.
Best wishes on the sale.
Thank You, Just was tired of all the people with no money or no desire to purchase making negative comments. I know Craigslist is not he place for it but actually had less negative there than here. Just dont want to trade for Harleys jet skis and lawn mowers! LOL. Car is tucked away now for winter anyway so may swap in a 350 and 4 speed in it this winter if I get time, and yes price will go up.
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Aren't those F-85 door panels ,plus no rear arm rests whats the vin start with?
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:37 AM

never mind see the vin
Old December 21st, 2017, 06:18 PM

It is my car and I am waiting for someone to prove to me it is NOT a W31 but most are tire kickers and would just rather say it is not! I guess all without broadcast cards are not legit ehh? (we know that very few have correct engine) I guess that is what I get for being honest description! It has cowl tag and has NOT been Polished by No Means! LOL
Don't feel too bad. This forum did the same thing to me, and many others too. They have a policy of not "interfering/commenting negatively" on "for sale" threads, but when someone happens to post a "link" from somewhere else, it's open season!! Anyway, g/l with your sale!!
Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:16 PM

I'm an equal opportunity skeptic, I'll hit the for sale ads, too. . Question being, what's a w-31 if it doesn't have the correct, original engine?
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:43 PM

W-31

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm an equal opportunity skeptic, I'll hit the for sale ads, too. . Question being, what's a w-31 if it doesn't have the correct, original engine?

It's still a W-31 regardless if the engine is original or not! The block is just a wear item on a performance car.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 05:10 PM

well as mentioned it does have some telltale w-31 parts.but without documentation we will never know.just as some w-30 cars have no doc's .but he's not asking 30k for it either.i don't think thats a bad price.heck there was a 66 442 in a local central iowa craigslist"original california car" for 6k and if it was a cali car it lived on the beach that baby was rusted to the core and no eng/trans olds24 you probably saw that ad.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
It's still a W-31 regardless if the engine is original or not! The block is just a wear item on a performance car.
If I follow your thinking to its conclusion, a W-31 that cracked its block, and got a service replacement 350 and moved heads, manifolds, carb, distributor, and rotating assembly over to the replacement block would indeed still "be a W-31" but one that got an entirely different carb to pan engine assembly sometime in its life would simply be a badged Cutlass with some other car's engine, correct?
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:17 PM

W-31

If I follow your thinking to its conclusion, a W-31 that cracked its block, and got a service replacement 350 and moved heads, manifolds, carb, distributor, and rotating assembly over to the replacement block would indeed still "be a W-31" but one that got an entirely different carb to pan engine assembly sometime in its life would simply be a badged Cutlass with some other car's engine, correct?
You are reading far too much into it. Born a W-31 always a W-31 regardless of wether the engine is original in entirety or not. If I set aside my original engine and drop in a small block Olds stroker engine with a Holley carb it's still a W- car.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:21 PM
Maintained

there were only a very limited number of cars that left the factory in 1969 with the W31 option package. if this one of those cars then it would be a rare car indeed. simply because today it has another cars engine installed in place of the original engine would not negate the fact that this car may be one of the rare W31 optioned cars produced in 1969. the evidence, so far, is circumstantial, but looks more promising than not that this is a W31.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:29 PM

You are reading far too much into it. Born a W-31 always a W-31 regardless of wether the engine is original in entirety or not. If I set aside my original engine and drop in a small block Olds stroker engine with a Holley carb it's still a W- car.
No, sir. I am merely not agreeing with your reasoning. A bull without his nuts is no longer a bull, he is a steer.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:18 PM

Non numbers matching

No, sir. I am merely not agreeing with your reasoning. A bull without his nuts is no longer a bull, he is a steer.
Are you really saying that a W-Machine that no longer has its born with engine is no longer a W Machine. Really? Is that really what your are saying?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:05 AM

Talking w 31

So most of the muscle cars out there are steers
Learn something new every day
Alain
Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:23 AM

Non original engine

Originally Posted by alain
So most of the muscle cars out there are steers
Learn something new every day
Alain
I figured you'd be along to comment.....you won't be the last I suspect.

Hey Al Sutton did you you hear the news?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Are you really saying that a W-Machine that no longer has its born with engine is no longer a W Machine. Really? Is that really what your are saying?
This has nothing to do with the original car for sale in this ad, but let's be serious here. A W-31 is just a Cutlass with an upgraded engine. If that upgraded engine is no longer in the car, you're left with... a Cutlass.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:10 AM

be serious

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This has nothing to do with the original car for sale in this ad, but let's be serious here. A W-31 is just a Cutlass with an upgraded engine. If that upgraded engine is no longer in the car, you're left with... a Cutlass.

Please define 'upgraded".

The argument here is about original engine not upgraded engine.

And your definition of a W-31 is incomplete by my standards.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:18 AM

You seem to be very emotionally invested in this question, so I will tread lightly in my reply. I do not view the point in such a binary way as you have put it, but I do place a numbers matching vehicle, especially a performance model, ahead of a non-numbers matching vehicle. Many times, the engine is cited as provenance itself. If the engine is not original, and you have no documentation, then what can you show you actually have?

I would accept a documented car with original transmission, heads, carb, etc, with a service replacement block as being 90% as good as a numbers matching car.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Please define 'upgraded".

The argument here is about original engine not upgraded engine.

And your definition of a W-31 is incomplete by my standards.
"Upgraded" means that the factory installed motor in a W-31 is upgraded over the engine that is factory installed in a run-of-the-mill Cutlass. Big valves, cam, CR, ignition timing, and carb are "upgraded". I'm not talking about non-factory mods.

As for the rest of the car, pretty much anything other than the engine that came on a 1969 W-31 was an available option on a run-of-the-mill Cutlass. There is nothing in the VIN or cowl tag to prove the car is a W-31. The JO code TH350 would be the only other unique W-31 item (for 1969-70) that was not otherwise available in a Cutlass. Every other part of the W-31 package (or mandatory options with the W-31) was available as an RPO on any Cutlass.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:18 AM

You seem to be very emotionally invested in this question, so I will tread lightly in my reply. I do not view the point in such a binary way as you have put it, but I do place a numbers matching vehicle, especially a performance model, ahead of a non-numbers matching vehicle. Many times, the engine is cited as provenance itself. If the engine is not original, and you have no documentation, then what can you show you actually have?

I would accept a documented car with original transmission, heads, carb, etc, with a service replacement block as being 90% as good as a numbers matching car.
A numbers matching car will always out value an non-numbers car. That is a given.

What you wrote previously is not what you are writing now. You likened a non numbers car to being castrated and that is unfair.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:21 AM

"Upgraded" means that the factory installed motor in a W-31 is upgraded over the engine that is factory installed in a run-of-the-mill Cutlass. Big valves, cam, CR, ignition timing, and carb are "upgraded". I'm not talking about non-factory mods.

As for the rest of the car, pretty much anything other than the engine that came on a 1969 W-31 was an available option on a run-of-the-mill Cutlass. There is nothing in the VIN or cowl tag to prove the car is a W-31. The JO code TH350 would be the only other unique W-31 item (for 1969-70) that was not otherwise available in a Cutlass. Every other part of the W-31 package (or mandatory options with the W-31) was available as an RPO on any Cutlass.
Still an over simplified view in my opinion. You are saying that the OAI was available on a regular Cutlass? Please share that option code.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Still an over simplified view in my opinion. You are saying that the OAI was available on a regular Cutlass? Please share that option code.
Oh please. You know exactly what I'm talking about and are parsing words to be argumentative. Since you clearly want me to spell it out exactly, here we go:

The only differences between a W-31 and Cutlass that were unique to the W-31 are the pistons, select-fit block, cam, distributor timing, carb, and of course the O.A.I. hardware. I'm excepting the JO trans because that only applies to AT cars. EVERYTHING else was available on a Cutlass as a regular production option, including the rear gears, anti-spin, FE2 suspension, HD cooling, and manual trans.

If you have a W-31 and a Cutlass, both with the same equipment other than the engine and trans, and the original drivetrains are missing in both cases, what's the difference? A hole saw to make the holes in the inner fenders. Is that enough to justify a significantly increased value? And the O.A.I. hardware was readily available from the parts counter when these cars were new. Nearly every car magazine of the time printed an article with the P/Ns for that stuff. More than one Cutlass had this stuff added after delivery.

At the end of the day, these are just cars. We've done it to ourselves by letting the value get stupid, which has only lead to fakes.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:34 PM

Final Thoughs

Oh please. You know exactly what I'm talking about and are parsing words to be argumentative. Since you clearly want me to spell it out exactly, here we go:

The only differences between a W-31 and Cutlass that were unique to the W-31 are the pistons, select-fit block, cam, distributor timing, carb, and of course the O.A.I. hardware. I'm excepting the JO trans because that only applies to AT cars. EVERYTHING else was available on a Cutlass as a regular production option, including the rear gears, anti-spin, FE2 suspension, HD cooling, and manual trans.

If you have a W-31 and a Cutlass, both with the same equipment other than the engine and trans, and the original drivetrains are missing in both cases, what's the difference? A hole saw to make the holes in the inner fenders. Is that enough to justify a significantly increased value? And the O.A.I. hardware was readily available from the parts counter when these cars were new. Nearly every car magazine of the time printed an article with the P/Ns for that stuff. More than one Cutlass had this stuff added after delivery.

At the end of the day, these are just cars. We've done it to ourselves by letting the value get stupid, which has only lead to fakes.

So now you have expanded your argument to include parts counter parts when were talking about factory built W machines. You think of them as nothing more than a Cutlass but I don't and I am not alone.

Further to the original argument, a W Machine without it's original engine is still a W machine regardless of the ridiculous statements to the contrary.

It's OK Joe....I'll let it go now and leave others to evaluate what we have written. I'm comfortable with my posts.

Merry Christmas Joe.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

In fairness to the O.P, this whole diversion to his for sale thread should be moved elsewhere. And yes, I'm as guilty as everyone else here, so my apologies to the O.P. on this.

Quick Reply: W31? on Minnesota craigslist