Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'66 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2016, 11:05 AM

'66 Delta 88

After much thought, I've decided that my Delta 88 should really go to someone who can give it the attention it deserves. It's a big body car but it tends to behave like a muscle car, and that's my fault....it's just that darn 425 CU. IN 2bbl. that drives me foolish at times. It'll burn the tires at the slightest provocation or just when it feels like it.
My Missus actually likes to drive in it but we just don't do that often enough, which is a shame because that car was built to be driven. I would not be afraid to drive it to the West Coast tomorrow.
I suppose it could almost be classified as a survivor car but it has had a recent complete repaint and a front suspension refurbishment along with front end alignment and new tires all around, new resonator and muffler, rear shocks, coil spring insulators, to name the most recent. Oil changes have been performed at 2K intervals (or less) since 1979 when the 2nd owner (mechanic) acquired it. I finally was able to buy it in 2003 after trying to for 20 years.
The car has always been well maintained and cared for. I know it's entire life history from the Salesman who sold it new, to it's 1st and 2nd owners and I'm the 3rd owner.
It was built in the Oshawa, Ontario, Canada plant and presently has 114K on the odometer. VIN Tag 635837013589. All factory numbers matching. Paint Code V Trim 354
PS., PB., AMFM(re-built by The Delco Man, with added I-pod jack, new speakers all around), Pwr. Trunk Lock, Pwr. Aerial. The car is registered in my name and I have all documentation.
The car is professionally appraised for $ 17,500 but I realize that's mostly for insurance purposes.
Body is straight and solid. Floors and trunk pans are next to pristine, no patching. Car was kept oil-treated from new and never winter driven by any of the 3 owners. Chassis Service Manual and Master Parts Catalog # 683 as well as Dealership Service Records from early '71 go with the car.
I'm pricing it at $ 13,500 US with some negotiation.
PM or call 902-667-5687 between 8:00 am & 9:00 pm Atlantic Time. My name is Ron.

Last edited by hardtop/ragtop; October 12th, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Ron, that is an awesome car.

Good luck selling it.
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:29 PM
"me somebody" site member

Noce car, good luck with the sale. The hats on the back seat make me think of my of my grandpa (sniff).
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:17 AM

'66 Delta 88

Car has now gone to dry/protected winter storage. We'll see what happens next Spring.
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:18 AM

I'm sure it will sell next Spring. Folks will be itching to go cruising and will know this is the way to do it!
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:38 AM

VIN 635837013589
This is not a valid VIN. The VIN on a '66 should be 13 characters, and this is only 12. The most obvious problem is that the first character should be a 3, indicating Oldsmobile division. There should also be a letter before the last six digits indicating the manufacturing plant.
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This is not a valid VIN. The VIN on a '66 should be 13 characters, and this is only 12. The most obvious problem is that the first character should be a 3, indicating Oldsmobile division. There should also be a letter before the last six digits indicating the manufacturing plant.
This is a Canadian car , so the VIN is probably correct .
As far as I know , GM Canada did not use the same serial number format as US cars.
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:10 AM

Did not know that. Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Warmer weather has finally arrived so the '66 Delta 88 came out of winter storage today. A little gas in the carb and a boost of the battery and away we go. Forecast for tomorrow is warm and sunny so a wash and Sunday afternoon drive are in order.

This is just a reminder that the car is still being offered to the Olds community. Don't be shy about making an offer if this is a car that appeals to you. A couple of points I neglected to mention in my initial post, the car was taken down to bare metal when it was repainted. There are some extra mechanical parts that will go with the car upon it's sale: 2 sets of new riveted brake shoes, new water pump, original hub caps, new Air Filters, new Oil Filters, plus any other misc. items that have been squirreled away.
Accompanying photo was taken at The Atlantic Nationals in Moncton, N.B. back in 2014 when the car was still wearing white walls. Call Ron at 1-902-667-5687 anytime.
Old April 30th, 2017, 06:27 AM

Oh great!...I had a big day planned. Now all I will be able to think about is trying to find a way to justify..afford...convince....It's like having a song stuck in your head!
It is doubtful I'll find a solution but I love this car!
Best of luck with the sale.
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:24 AM

By chance do you know what all is involved in selling from Canada to the US?
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by deaddds
By chance do you know what all is involved in selling from Canada to the US?
It's really not all that difficult....I've bought 3 cars in the USA and brought them back to Canada through the years. There are a few hoops to jump through but nothing that's insurmountable.

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you....might take me a day or two to find the right answers but I will let you know.
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by hardtop/ragtop
It's really not all that difficult....I've bought 3 cars in the USA and brought them back to Canada through the years. There are a few hoops to jump through but nothing that's insurmountable.

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you....might take me a day or two to find the right answers but I will let you know.
Well, this was quicker then I expected.

I just found this US Customs/ Border Protection Agency site that gives a pretty good explanation along with downloadable documents that can be completed before-hand, to entering US Customs with an imported vehicle.

I "Googled" the following inquiry......Exporting a Classic Car from Canada into the USA......and here's the first website that came up.

Importing classic or antique vehicles/cars for personal use
help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~/importing-classic-or-antique-vehicles-%2-cars-for-personal-use

I know there's some reading involved but it looks to be pretty straight-forward and, besides giving the download-able documents, there's also help-line phone #'s to call for US folks wanting to import a vehicle.

I had to call the US Border folks when I first imported our daily driver back in 2007 and they were quite helpful.
The only real difference between then and now is that a Canadian bringing a US car into Canada now has to use the services of a registered Export/Import Brokerage Firm. I don't know if that particular rule applies to a US citizen bringing back a collector car.....a call to the US Customs/Border agency should clarify that issue.

To be honest, a process like this tends to turn-off buyers on both sides of the border but with a little effort, I was amazed at how easy it really is. As long as the "rules" are followed, it's a fairly seamless process.

I hope you find this helpful.