Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'66 Jeststar 88 4-Dr For Sale (FL)

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:07 AM

'66 Jeststar 88 4-Dr For Sale (FL)

The point of this post is to ascertain whether or not anybody wants one of these badly enough to come to North Florida and flatbed it out of here. That's probably the only way this car is going anywhere (brakes are probably locked up tight).

Mileage: 62000
Engine: 330, 2-spd Jetaway?
Condition: Lousy, may contain wildlife (included)
Price: One 12-pack of Budweiser 12 oz Cans (not Light)

I got this car for free around 2000, drug it out of a barn, put $2500 worth of brakes, filters, tires, hoses, belts, exhaust and gas tank in it and drove it to Florida. It was a nice driver, even with only AM and no A/C. I put a few thousand miles on it before things started breaking faster than I could fix them. One day I had it at work, uncovered, during a 6 hour rainstorm. That's how I learned that both windshields leaked.

I got it home, tore out the soaked upholstery and headliner and discovered the big holes in the floorboard. And so it sat.

In 2007 I drove it to where it is now and I've done my best to ignore the damn thing ever since. Recently one of the tires let go and that reminded me that I needed to compose this post someday.

Today I'm too inept (or lazy) to fix it, but too empathetic to have it crushed. And I could really use that 12 pack.

Reply, PM or e-mail if you're interested in it or want more pics or info.
Old September 14th, 2016, 07:26 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Pics and info. We can work out the fluid details.
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Always room for one more

PM sent
Old September 14th, 2016, 03:23 PM

More pics, as requested

The side with the flat tire and some paint discoloration. The last time I moved the car I removed the loose body and windshield trim so I wouldn't lose it.

Engine bay is complete and relatively unmolested. It might fire up with a battery and some ether, it's been years since I did that, though.

Rear view. The front bumper was bent by a tow truck before I owned it, the rear bumper has rusted through in a few spots (hence the Clinton-era stickers).

Here's a view of the floor damage (plywood removed for clarity). The plywood was there to keep the wildlife out. I did have to evict a small marsupial at one point...

Another view. All of the pieces that you don't see have been carefully preserved - the seats and door panels are in my barn and just need to be unburied, but the upholstery has been discarded.

Also included is a set of keys and a title. If anyone wants to come look (or haul), this weekend looks good (weather permitting).
Old September 19th, 2016, 09:33 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Pass. But I'll still send you money for fluids. The fact that you've held onto this Jetstar and kept it from the crusher is awesome. PM me an address and cash is yours.
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by btw
Pass. But I'll still send you money for fluids.
You're certainly generous. Let that not go unappreciated. It's not about the beer though, it's about finding a good home for this beast. It was gifted to me with the hope that I'd fix it and drive it. Which worked out briefly, but some gift horses require a helluva lot of dental work...

The beer bit is just to show the wife that, yes, I did get something for it.

My dad once said to me "A guy spends the first half of his life collecting a lot of stuff and the second half trying to get rid of it". Too often I've seen entire collections just end up in the dumpster after the conclusion of that second half.
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:14 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by emonk
My dad once said to me "A guy spends the first half of his life collecting a lot of stuff and the second half trying to get rid of it". Too often I've seen entire collections just end up in the dumpster after the conclusion of that second half.
Our fathers must have had the same playbook. The offer still stands and good for you trying to find a home for it. Do they still have high school auto shop classes in your area?

Some of the best times in my auto shop were the drag-ins from guys wanting to clear out the shed. That is how I came to own my first Olds in high school in 1980: '66 Cutlass Holiday 442. Frost Green with green vinyl seats. Lansing build. $300
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM

That's rough but still some great parts there, I would grab that if it was a lot closer to NJ. Hope someone who needs it gets it, fun to see for sure.
Old February 15th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Just thought I'd bump this before I call Pick n' Pull.

I'm haunted by the mantra of some old SpeedTV show which was "Don't Crush 'Em".
Old February 16th, 2017, 05:42 AM

Wow i hope someone steps up and goes and get this car. If i was closer i would. Kansas is just to far. Thank you for keeping this car as long as you have. I hope it doesn't get crushed.
Old February 16th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've driven worse.

Shame it's so far away, though...

- Eric