Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 W-30 Convertible For Sale --Not Mine

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2016, 09:59 AM

1971 W-30 Convertible For Sale --Not Mine

Very interesting story on this one.

Does anyone think he'll get the BIN price of $175,400 for this car?

Old July 2nd, 2016, 03:40 PM

There's been several on eBay recently. All of them (at least the automatics) make the BS "1 of 10" AC claim. This guy makes the silly claim that it's likely the only Viking Blue stick car out there, which is ridiculous because it's likely the most popular color in 1971 (not to mention I know of one documented 4-speed in the same color).
Old July 3rd, 2016, 05:47 AM

There's more to this story. Look at the pic of the boot plate area.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 06:15 AM

There is a lot more to the story which is exactly what is wrong with this car, it has stories with no proof. The VIN is from December with a June trim tag, huh? That is just the beginning of the problems with this car and the seller. Do a search of his phone number and you will understand what I am talking about.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 08:37 AM

I also like the backwards valve covers and if you take off or re adjust your fenders, at least use the right shims at the front and the passenger side firewall one....tuck it back in so its not falling out.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 08:44 AM

I wasn't aware they they started reproducing red NOS wheelwells.....interesting.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Shoveling Snow

For some reason I just felt unclean after reading that description.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:39 AM

Trolling for the dumb rich guy who only has a checkbook in his toolbox.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 10:10 AM

I was wondering if others had issues with this car. That broadcast card has got to be the nicest (newest) looking one I have ever seen? I remember this guy from thread here, (sorry have not found other thread yet). He was selling a gold 70 W30, and he was not completely honest with that sale.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
For some reason I just felt unclean after reading that description.
As you know, in the sales business, they always say "the buyer wants to hear a story", etc. In the bond business we called them "bond stories".
Old July 3rd, 2016, 10:13 AM

Bond as in "get me out of jail"?
Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
Bond as in "get me out of jail"?
No Diego....not that bond business. I'm referring to the other bond business. However, occasionally you might have sworn you were keeping the same company
Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:35 AM

ha!
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:00 PM

That H on the head looks weird.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM

1971 W-30 Major Fraud on this one boys

Rocket Man, I am the only one who can smell a rat on this one with proof. I actually owned the original W 30 Ragtop that matches that build sheet and this is not the car. I have the original owner story as I bought the car from the original owner in Michigan on Easter Sunday of 2009. There is a real cool story to the original car. This is not the car I owned. The original car was real rough even the frame was bad. The original owner had to drive the car everyday in Lansing Michigan for 12 years and three motors later. he drove it thru every winter also. Floors were rotted, doors, fenders had a ton of bondo. Quarters were full. Interior was rough. The build sheet was never in the car. It was given with the dealer paperwork when he picked it up. I even went to the dealer near Lansing, Mich. which has been closed for years. The owners son of the dealership uses it for his mancave. He is into Drag racing Oldsmobiles. He knew the car and the owner. Told me a lot of history the original owner did not tell me. I can really get into detail. He gave me the original order file card. Listed all the options etc written by hand with the price. I have pics. The car needed a donor car and a major and I mean major restoration by a professional. It was not matching numbers drivetrain. I have been in contact with the person I sold it to. He sold it to someone in Illinois. There is some major fraud going on here. I hope there is no one really buying this BS or even bidding on it thru the Ebay auction.

Last edited by Mean Machine; July 3rd, 2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:38 PM

It does not look bad but it was.

Had the correct original upper end

Door sticker

The trunk and rear section of the car was rotted bad along with the frame in the rear

Very rough underneath

Interior was shot

The hood was rotted bad.

The Build sheet

Does not get any better than this.

Trunk again
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM

Hello Meanmachine,

I think I know you, and if your're who I think you are I'd like to stop by your new shop sometime.

Yes, the car has been rebodied and is bogus. The whole story made up on the ebay page is fiction. I sincerely hope the seller is prosecuted and any would be buyer is protected.

The original car was a HEAVILY documented real deal car, but wasted rusty. The original engine was gone as were the H heads.

I was in the middle of posting the same pictures when you beat me to it!

Now I know I know you and hope you are well.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:59 PM

I've been by that old dealership with our mutual friend on the way to the pure stock drags, and believe it or not I drove by there last Thursday!

I never knew that was where the car came from.

Small world:

This engine is displayed in the front window along with a '64 442:

Old July 3rd, 2016, 02:09 PM

Wink

Yes it is me. This was brought to my attention I figured better right from the original horses mouth. It is too bad that this happened instead of a correct high end restoration. The car deserved it really. Yes you have to come by the new place. It is almost done. It is like going into American Pickers then a garage. Just had my third hoist put in. I have a 65 Dart Gasser Been thinking about finishing it with a fuel injected Hemi or a R3 Mopar Race block with W5 heads. Might pick up Ramchargers ,Dean Nicopolis old Hemi Cuda. Not his Race car but one he owned in 1980. Went and looked at a 66 Mustang GT Fastback real K code 289 4 speed Survivor Raven black. Lots of cool stuff going on I have been way too busy. No Oldsmobiles lately sorry. Drop on by I have Bells Doppleback Beer in the cooler waiting for you.

Thanks, Mean Machine
Old July 3rd, 2016, 03:20 PM

every car has a history you just have to find it wow buying a car is a scary thing now
Old July 3rd, 2016, 05:37 PM
Shoveling Snow

I asked the seller for a pic of the body tag and the vin. No dice, he says "Not a restamp. Not posting vin. Come see it".
I can't think of a reason not to---Oh wait now I do.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 06:41 PM

Fraud sucks, but based on just the info presented in the adv / posted, it should be enough to raise some serious questions.

Thanks to those who have chosen to share the info they have regarding this car.

Last edited by Stefano; July 3rd, 2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
I've been by that old dealership with our mutual friend on the way to the pure stock drags, and believe it or not I drove by there last Thursday!

I never knew that was where the car came from.

Small world:

This engine is displayed in the front window along with a '64 442:

Yes Rocket man that is the dealership. The cars in the window were sold by the dealership and he bought them back from the original owners to display in the showroom. The owners son is a real cool guy. He was a drag racing teen in 68 and when they came out with the Hurst Olds he wanted his dad to become The nations biggest HI Performance Olds dealer like Berger or Nickey. His dad wanted no part of it. His dad did not like to make a lot of warranty claims against GM. His dad wanted to sell 4 doors and wagons to family guys. The W30 Ragtop in question broke his dads idea. The original owner was warranting things every week.I have the sons personal phone number. He drag races a 79 Cutlass that runs 8"s. He has a lot of paperwork still in the dealership for cars they sold and warranty claims. The dealership is his mancave and playground. The Dark Blue 1964 442 4 speed in the showroom was the first 442 they sold. The original owner had it for years. The son bought it and restored it for the showroom. He Drag races at Stanton Dragway all the time. Really nice guy. If you want his Phone # I will send it to you.
Old July 4th, 2016, 06:56 AM

A round of applause for Mean Machine for bringing the truth to light. I've been close to a couple of cars, that if they ever came to market with such fraud. I would have to do the same. Thanks. ~BOB
Old July 4th, 2016, 09:54 AM

I asked him how the VIN and cowl tag could be more than 6 months apart and here is his response....... for whatever it is worth given his background.

From doing some further investigation, we found out the people we got the from used a mixture of parts, a rusted W30 and a identical #'s matching w30 4 speed convertible and mixed and matched some parts to make the car. not quite as advertised, so I had to pull the auction immediately. Nothing has been restamped however, and I wanted to pull the auction as new information was available and I didn't want to cause any issues.

Thanks for the email

Here are the pix of VIN and Cowl tag for future reference. You can see the cowl tag looks altered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VIN.jpg (105.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg
cowl tag.jpg (130.2 KB, 226 views)
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Shoveling Snow

Very tainted car and seller for sure.
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:24 AM

It would appear that fraud driven by greed has taken what may have been a decent 1971 442 Convert and a rusted out legit W30 convert and ended both trails of car history.
Over the past year Muscle Car review built a Chevelle with a modern LS7 and they used a process called "Relicing" to make a new motor look aged through using chemicals on the freshly painted engine to give it a patina. It looks like a similar process was used on the engine in the ebay car.
I am in the process of restoring a 1971 W30 convert that was in worse shape than the original car that Mean Machine had. When staring the restoration, a few people advised just to rebody it, it would have been less expensive and nobody other than me and my resto guy would have known. Instead it is getting restored using the original body tub and frame and over 300 NOS parts. Other than repro parts like floor pans and trunk drops this car wont have any other repro parts on it. When completed it will be a stunning restoration with a documented history.
I did another 1971 W30 convert in 2005 and is now owned by a respected collector i the DC area. That car was also restored with its original body tub and frame.
Old July 4th, 2016, 11:15 AM

What a shame ......appears that the seller got caught "red handed" Any one know the sellers name? I had contacted him on another 442 he had listed for sale last summer and his reply was simply " I don't deal with anyone from NicKey". Since I don't know this individual, this sent up some red flags then. He also would not respond and deal with other knowledgeable "Olds Guys"............wonder why?
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
What a shame ......appears that the seller got caught "red handed" Any one know the sellers name? I had contacted him on another 442 he had listed for sale last summer and his reply was simply " I don't deal with anyone from NicKey". Since I don't know this individual, this sent up some red flags then. He also would not respond and deal with other knowledgeable "Olds Guys"............wonder why?

PM sent
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 442Fred
I asked him how the VIN and cowl tag could be more than 6 months apart and here is his response....... for whatever it is worth given his background.

From doing some further investigation, we found out the people we got the from used a mixture of parts, a rusted W30 and a identical #'s matching w30 4 speed convertible and mixed and matched some parts to make the car. not quite as advertised, so I had to pull the auction immediately. Nothing has been restamped however, and I wanted to pull the auction as new information was available and I didn't want to cause any issues.

Thanks for the email

Here are the pix of VIN and Cowl tag for future reference. You can see the cowl tag looks altered.
I know someone who looked at this car a couple of years ago, while in the current sellers possession. At that time, the car was still a rusted out, very rough W-30 convertible, or in other words, not the shape it is in now.
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Thanks,to those who have responded, seems that he is well known regarding his escapades.

Joe Cipolla ........is the ebay sellers real name, along with a host of aliases.

Btw.......anyone think he's paying attention to this thread?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/joe-ci...-mally-1021651

Last edited by Stefano; July 4th, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM

I did some checking and found the thread I mentioned, about the other car this guy was involved with. I am sorry I do not know how to post the link, but it is under: 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30 4 speed. The date is Nov 7th 2014.
It is interesting reading and furthers the contention this guy is not honest. He bought the car from CO member wayne3791 and wayne talks about how things went.
Old July 4th, 2016, 01:00 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...0-4-speed.html

Highlight, copy, then paste here.
Old July 4th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
Thanks,to those who have responded, seems that he is well known regarding his escapades.

Joe Cipolla ........is the ebay sellers real name, along with a host of aliases.

Btw.......anyone think he's paying attention to this thread?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/joe-ci...-mally-1021651

Yes I think he is paying attention to this thread because he asked me to post his response. I would hope the Feds are paying attention to this thread too....
Old July 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM

wonder what he will do with it now
Old July 4th, 2016, 02:20 PM

I sent him a message last night through Ebay calling him & the car out. Funny, I did not hear back from him......
Old July 4th, 2016, 03:39 PM

The classic last ditch maneuver of the dishonest seller, when caught, is to 'fess up, blame everything on the previous owner, pull the auction, and "take the hit," pretending to be the honest guy and saying that HE got taken.

Then, once the heat dies down, he relists it under a different account.
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:24 PM

From the 52 second mark of the video posted in the ad:

From the internet.
http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/otis2/oti...cNumber=655715

Pass the popcorn
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:41 PM

The lower vent (heater outlet) piece is from a console car. The non console car vent looks different & has more rectangular holes in it. Also the lighted map light is not there, or at least I don't think it is there.
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:46 PM
1971 442 conv

Check out this car non-W30 that sold last year:

http://usedcarsfsbo.com/asp/Item.asp...11%2F21%2F2015

Quick Reply: 1971 W-30 Convertible For Sale --Not Mine