Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Sold 7/4 Glenda's Dad's car, 1969 442 Price reduced $8,000 Sold

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Sold 7/4 Glenda's Dad's car, 1969 442 Price reduced $8,000 Sold

Hi all
Some of you may remember this post: Open to suggestions - ClassicOldsmobile.com

I've seen all of Ray's cars now and am planning to purchase a couple parts cars myself. Glenda and Nancy (daughter and wife) have been dealing with some health issues, but intend to market the cars soon. I have offered to take pictures and help answer questions but am not involved in pricing or any negotiations for the sale of their cars. Ray and Nancy had a speedometer repair shop for decades and Ray also did AC work on cars. The cars are located near Grants Pass Oregon and any purchases would have to arrange shipping from the location of the cars. I will be taking pictures and posting the prices that Glenda will be asking for the cars. I'm hoping to get that information this coming weekend.
Old March 8th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Running On Empty

I recall seeing that thread, John. Very cool.
Old March 8th, 2022, 05:15 PM

1969 442

I did get photos of this car today, and the price Glenda is asking for it is $10,000. The car had gone over a guard rail in the 1980s and its believed Ray put a different frame under it. I need to get underneath and take some pictures to see if that was done or if there's evidence Ray straightened the frame. The dust and dirt under the hood look to me like the engine hasn't been out of the car since it had been driven. The car has been stored indoors since the accident. This car looks all original under the hood. But I didn't have a flashlight so I wasn't able to get the numbers off most of the parts. It does have an open faced alternator, with the diamond shaped raised fins. The master cylinder has the bleeders on it. The carburetor is a 251 carb. It has a 4 row harrison radiator, I believe code CH. The blue interior is partly taken out as Ray had been repairing the body. I didn't see any rust in the lower fenders as is common. But there is a patch that's not finished in the drivers side rear quarter panel. There are pits in the metal around the back window, but I didn't see any holes or the back glass. The passenger side door is off and it looks like he was done working on it. The trunk lid has a hole rusted in the skin, which seems out of place compared to the rest of the car. This may not be the original deck lid? There are pits in the metal, but no holes through the tulip panel, or the trunk gasket channel. I didn't see a posi tag on the rear end, although I wasn't able to crawl under it and check the two letter code. Its an automatic car but I wasn't able to get under it to see if its matching numbers. I do need to go back and get these details, as well as a picture of the trim tag. I can't believe I missed that today! It is a bench seat column shift car. The rear bumper is in plastic sheeting, It looked like it might have been replated but I need to dig it out and get some pictures to be sure its condition. Front grill, headlight surrounds, bumper look good. Tags expired in 1993 but Nancy shared it had been started and moved in and out of the shop over the years but they can't find the key at this time. Odometer shows 06663 so its likely just turned over the 100,000 mark.

Old March 8th, 2022, 05:16 PM

More 1969 442 pictures

Old March 9th, 2022, 05:43 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

What could one do to request specific small parts from this estate?

Sure be nice to have the Olds crowd help her all the way through to an empty yard/garage and be satisfied she didn't get robbed. Especially important if the money is going towards Ray's medical care or to pay off bills at home.

I'm sure someone would purchase the bulk parts. I'd be interested in a clean 68 roller or runner. And some other 68 bits. Mainly 68 Trunk Trim.

Be nice to not see it not go sideways for her.

Note to all of us to have things in order with a specific will and instructions for all of our parts tool cars other junk and general dollar values.
I'm going through the process of tagging all my parts taking the guesswork out of that for my fam.
Old March 16th, 2022, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
What could one do to request specific small parts from this estate?

Sure be nice to have the Olds crowd help her all the way through to an empty yard/garage and be satisfied she didn't get robbed. Especially important if the money is going towards Ray's medical care or to pay off bills at home.

I'm sure someone would purchase the bulk parts. I'd be interested in a clean 68 roller or runner. And some other 68 bits. Mainly 68 Trunk Trim.

Be nice to not see it not go sideways for her.

Note to all of us to have things in order with a specific will and instructions for all of our parts tool cars other junk and general dollar values.
I'm going through the process of tagging all my parts taking the guesswork out of that for my fam.
I don't think Ray was as much of a packrat as many of us! He has some parts, but mostly project and parts cars.
Old March 16th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Here's some more pictures of the 1969 442. Bench seat, column shift car. The trim tag and vin both verify this is a 442. I didn't have a mirror to check the vin derivative on the block. I've also verified the radiator is a CH code. The rear bumper has been replated although I don't know what company did it. I don't see the back seat bottom or back windshield. There is pitting in the window channel and tulip panel, but no rust through. The truck gasket channel looks good.

Old March 18th, 2022, 03:36 AM

Here is what I got from the data plate.

Old March 18th, 2022, 05:05 AM

Thank you for putting this together Tom!
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:46 AM

Blue N-34 sport steering wheel

I have an N-34 sport wheel in blue if whoever buys the car wants it , $1100, pretty nice
Old March 18th, 2022, 11:26 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Just out of curiosity, was that brocade fabric on the seats available in bench seat 4-4-2s? I thought they were all vinyl.
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:26 PM
Randy C.

Unless the trim plate is not telling the truth, the cloth and vinyl bench seat came with this 4-4-2. The trim plate says it's a 4-4-2 and the 333 code indicates blue cloth and vinyl. As I recall, the '69 4-4-2 (like the '68) came standard with bucket seats but a bench seat could be special-ordered to replace the bucket seats with a credit to the buyer or around $68. Don't know if the cloth & vinyl option cost more than just vinyl. In any case, it's not something I've seen very often. My '68 convertible has the special order all vinyl bench seat with the column shift THM.

Randy C.
Old March 19th, 2022, 09:18 AM

I've already got more project cars than I'm likely to have time/money to restore. But I have to say I'm really tempted to pursue this myself. Its a cool car and under the hood pretty much untouched since the early 1990's and maybe late 1980's. I have several bucket seat 4 speed cars so the bench and column shift wouldn't bother me. In fact the older I get going from stoplight to stoplight in city traffic an automatic transmission is a little nicer to drive.
Old March 20th, 2022, 07:26 PM

Does the car run. What damage did it sustain from the guard Rail
Old March 20th, 2022, 08:28 PM

They've misplaced the keys, but Ray used to start it and drive it in and out of the bay when he needed the room. They believe Ray put a different frame under it. But things like the steering box are dusty, the engine looks like it has road film on it. So I'm unsure if the frame was changed or just repaired/straightened. I believe Glenda was driving it when it went over the guardrail in the 1980's. The tags expired in 1993, but the plates look new so it may have been re-licensed when Ray had repaired/replaced the frame. Then he decided to repaint it and began doing the body work. Sorry, Ray is in a memory care facility and unable to help, so I'm trying to fill in the blanks with what the family told me and what I observed.

I'm under the impression that the damage was all under the car, the frame. That this was a piece of guard rail laying on the ground that was run over.
Old March 21st, 2022, 04:11 AM

Well I got that wrong! Got a message from Glenda and the car was in a worse accident than I thought. They hit black ice, went up and over the guardrail, and down the bank 150 feet. Glenda said the frame has indeed been replaced. I have not been able to put it on jack stands and get photos of the underside. But the body work I can see was done well. I would have never guessed it went through that kind of accident.
Old March 28th, 2022, 05:04 PM

Did you ever have a look under the car

bruce
Old March 28th, 2022, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by servexcell
Did you ever have a look under the car

bruce
Sorry, I have not been able to get it up on stands to look under it.
Old April 3rd, 2022, 05:51 PM

sending PM
Old June 3rd, 2022, 05:51 PM

Photos of the underside. Yes, it looks like the frame has been replaced. There are patches on the front floorboard, where the driver and passenger put their feet. I did not see any evidence of rot around the front windshield, so I'm guessing This was to replace damage from the accident. I believe the transmission has been replaced as the code on the tag is AO.

Old June 3rd, 2022, 05:53 PM

More photos of the underside

Old June 3rd, 2022, 05:56 PM

And one more batch of photos

Old June 27th, 2022, 05:59 PM

Here's some pictures of the interior. There are some stains on the back seat, seat back. But there's also a portion of new material that matches the seats. Not perfect, but in my opinion nice for a driver.

Old June 27th, 2022, 06:00 PM

One too many pictures in one post. Here's more pieces of trim

Old June 27th, 2022, 06:03 PM

I took a couple short video's of it running but haven't figured out how to post them yet. No rocker ticks. The first one was on fast idle, the second was warmed up. There was some black smoke at first, but its also old gas.
Old June 27th, 2022, 10:38 PM
Banned

It is crazy to me to see people pay stupid money for absolute Crap. Look at the floors and the frame etc on this car. Hope you find a great Oldsmobile loving home for it. The honesty here sells it for me. No bullshit just telling what it is. Good on you!
People defend 30 grand and up bullshit here. This is a convertible 69 442 for eight grand. People just knocking it down. Eight Grand.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; June 29th, 2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old June 28th, 2022, 03:24 AM

I'm surprised this car hasn't sold. For 8 grand it has to be a steal. So it has had some work done to it-- The work was done by the owner who planned to drive and keep it. I would bet the repairs were completed properly, not quick and shoddy as a flipper might do... Man, it is just too far away for me, makes me think and daydream though.... You are a great guy to help Glenda get this settled..
Old June 28th, 2022, 05:11 AM
Always room for one more

Come on Greg I'll go with ya......

Old June 28th, 2022, 07:18 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I think the problem with the car is that nobody's been able to categorize it. With a replacement frame and massive surgery, it doesn't really qualify as a survivor, even though it may still be in the hands of the original owner's family. Nobody wants to dump big bucks and long hours into a car that's always going to be a bit of a mongrel. And it definitely needs plenty of time and money.

Kudos, though, to the owner for honesty and also to 2blu442 for his forthrightness and effort in obtaining accurate info on the car.
Old June 29th, 2022, 07:42 AM

I think the word "Mongrel" just might be a bit harsh. How many of us have checked to make sure our frame is original? And does it make any difference as long as it is correct? I'll take honesty any day over the BS flippers put out there. Kudos to you 2Blu442 you are really a friend in need and going way over and above what most folks would do!
Steve
Old June 29th, 2022, 08:44 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
I think the word "Mongrel" just might be a bit harsh. How many of us have checked to make sure our frame is original? And does it make any difference as long as it is correct? I'll take honesty any day over the BS flippers put out there. Kudos to you 2Blu442 you are really a friend in need and going way over and above what most folks would do!
Steve
My comment wasn't meant to be critical, I was just speculating on why the car hasn't generated more interest.
Old June 29th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Running On Empty

John - Your best bet is to upload the videos to YouTube then post the URL link here.
Old June 29th, 2022, 12:22 PM

i have to ask.just whats with all the gold paint?top,1/4s around trunk and drivers rocker.was the damage to the point that he back half'ed the car??also are those the correct rivets on the cowl tag?
Old June 29th, 2022, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
i have to ask.just whats with all the gold paint?top,1/4s around trunk and drivers rocker.was the damage to the point that he back half'ed the car??also are those the correct rivets on the cowl tag?
I can't explain the gold paint. I haven't found anything that looks like it had large parts of the car spliced together. Its been blue since the mid to late 1970's when the family purchased the car. It doesn't look like there's blue paint under the gold, like it had been blue then gold and blue again. There is a photo of the trim tag rivets lf you want to scroll up and see what you think of them. I wouldn't think a blue interior would go with gold paint and I can't imagine someone changing out the entire interior within the first few years of the car's life.

I forgot to mention I did try to check the vin derivative on the block. Its a weak stamp that's not clear enough to say for sure it matches the vin. There is a clear 7 in the right location, and the top of what may be an 8 next to it, also correct. But the rest of the numbers are just the very tops and not enough to hang one's hat on. Nice project for the right person. I've already got more project cars than I have time/money to rebuild so I've been trying hard to resist buying it myself.
Old June 29th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Shoveling Snow

The rivets holding the trim tag are not correct.
Old June 29th, 2022, 05:40 PM
Banned

Blows me away that this car sits for Eight Grand. Fools will defend thirty Grand for a bullshit whatever. Eight Grand!!! Someone will get a great true car when they get this car. Worth every single penny. Get outta here. Oh wait known history??
Old June 29th, 2022, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
The rivets holding the trim tag are not correct.
Well, the vin shows it as being a 442 so I don't know why the trim tag would have been removed. Its an AC car with power steering and brakes, heavy duty cooling. That's about it for options.
Old June 29th, 2022, 07:16 PM

The first clip starts under the hood and then goes back to a tailpipe. The motor wasn't warmed up yet so the fast idle was on. The second clip it had been running long enough to kick it down.

Old June 29th, 2022, 07:20 PM

I think I did that right. But if you guys can't view the short video clips let me know and I'll try something else.
Old June 29th, 2022, 07:24 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

It looks like for me at least the videos are marked Private.

Quick Reply: Sold 7/4 Glenda's Dad's car, 1969 442 Price reduced $8,000 Sold