Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Olds w34 69 toronado

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2016, 05:46 AM

Olds w34 69 toronado

Anyone out there or know anyone interested in a 1969 olds toronado w34 car?

Last edited by oldsmobilejuggernaut; November 9th, 2016 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Ad pictures
Old November 9th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Price?
Old November 9th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Administrator

And location? GLWS
Old November 9th, 2016, 06:32 AM

3000 usd, the car is in Niagara Falls Canada
Old November 9th, 2016, 06:39 AM

As you can see besides being a W 34 car it has the bucket seats factory bucket seats with factory Console and floor shift
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:45 AM

Oh yeah!
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:59 AM

W34 car

Did the car come from the Renfrew/Ottawa Ontario area?
Thanks
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Looking for an education on these.
What makes or identifies it as a W34?
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:33 PM

Could be a great project, depends on price vs of cost of bringing her back. Lets pull up the carpet and trunk mat, and lets see the under carriage, any more pictures? Been there and NOT done that-very painful with the F-85. $$$$$
Old November 10th, 2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket North
Did the car come from the Renfrew/Ottawa Ontario area?
Thanks
Yes
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 68442
The transmission has the OM code. I believe they had more clutches than the non-W34 but am not positive. In addition I believe they had a little better cam, otherwise the same 455. No records on how many of these were made. I wonder if the number on the transmission tag was consecutive and only on the OM transmissions? This car has a number that's about 500 above mine.

I noticed it doesn't have AC, that's not common. Maybe it sold new in the Northern states or even in Canada? Does it have disc or drum brakes on the front? I don't see much on the trim tag, but can see cruise control and an 8 track in the photos. I think this year usually had an ash tray where I see the 8 track, is there an ash tray door near it? I had a 1967 Toro with AM/FM and 8 track, but the 8 track was under the dash. Maybe that would interfere with the console. Does it have the AM/FM radio?

John
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Could be a great project, depends on price vs of cost of bringing her back. Lets pull up the carpet and trunk mat, and lets see the under carriage, any more pictures? Been there and NOT done that-very painful with the F-85. $$$$$
The floors and trunk on this car are solid, It's going into indoor storage and then I will be doing more extensive probing
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
The transmission has the OM code. I believe they had more clutches than the non-W34 but am not positive. In addition I believe they had a little better cam, otherwise the same 455. No records on how many of these were made. I wonder if the number on the transmission tag was consecutive and only on the OM transmissions? This car has a number that's about 500 above mine.

I noticed it doesn't have AC, that's not common. Maybe it sold new in the Northern states or even in Canada? Does it have disc or drum brakes on the front? I don't see much on the trim tag, but can see cruise control and an 8 track in the photos. I think this year usually had an ash tray where I see the 8 track, is there an ash tray door near it? I had a 1967 Toro with AM/FM and 8 track, but the 8 track was under the dash. Maybe that would interfere with the console. Does it have the AM/FM radio?

John
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:36 PM

Yes it has 8 track, cruise, and no AC, the car is from western Canada. I am not 100% sure on the brakes and would have to check it out. As far as what differentiates a W 34 as opposed to a regular 455 was the difference in the cam and the angle of the cam apparently
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 68442
The stock 455 was modified with a hotter high lift camshaft (GM part number 400165), with specifications of 286°, a 285° intake, 287° exhaust, and a .472 lift on both intake and exhaust. Heat-treated valve springs. A cold force-air induction system was plumbed to intake air from under the driver's side fender, assuring a consistent flow of cooler outside air to the carburetor. A low restriction dual exhaust system made sure the engine could breathe properly, and the rear bumper was cut out to make room for the exhaust outlet pipes. The stock Toronado distributor was recurved to enhance performance.

To handle the additional power, a special Turbo Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission with a heavy duty torque converter was fitted as part of the W34 package. This transmission can be easily identified by the "OM" code on its identification tag, which was exclusive to the W34 option. Even the windshield washer jar was modified on W34 cars. It was notched to allow room for the cold air induction duct work, and carried special part number 9791348. It was used only on the 1968 Toronado with W34 option.

In the engine compartment, a vacuum sensor was mounted to the left side of the radiator. A special radiator featured an indentation in the brass where the sensor attaches to the radiator. This sensor was designed to open the headlamp grille covers regardless of headlamp usage during periods of high radiator temperature. With the grilles open, additional air flow was available to help cool down the engine. Most owners never knew if this feature worked or not, but it did actually work.
Old November 10th, 2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobilejuggernaut
The stock 455 was modified with a hotter high lift camshaft (GM part number 400165), with specifications of 286°, a 285° intake, 287° exhaust, and a .472 lift on both intake and exhaust. Heat-treated valve springs. A cold force-air induction system was plumbed to intake air from under the driver's side fender, assuring a consistent flow of cooler outside air to the carburetor. A low restriction dual exhaust system made sure the engine could breathe properly, and the rear bumper was cut out to make room for the exhaust outlet pipes. The stock Toronado distributor was recurved to enhance performance.

To handle the additional power, a special Turbo Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission with a heavy duty torque converter was fitted as part of the W34 package. This transmission can be easily identified by the "OM" code on its identification tag, which was exclusive to the W34 option. Even the windshield washer jar was modified on W34 cars. It was notched to allow room for the cold air induction duct work, and carried special part number 9791348. It was used only on the 1968 Toronado with W34 option.

In the engine compartment, a vacuum sensor was mounted to the left side of the radiator. A special radiator featured an indentation in the brass where the sensor attaches to the radiator. This sensor was designed to open the headlamp grille covers regardless of headlamp usage during periods of high radiator temperature. With the grilles open, additional air flow was available to help cool down the engine. Most owners never knew if this feature worked or not, but it did actually work.
I believe these are the spec's for the 1968 W34. The 1969 did not have the outside air or the rear bumper cutouts. I'm pretty sure the 1969 was only the transmission and cam. I've been told the cam was the same one used in the W30 with an automatic transmission. Nice for the day, but if someone rebuild the engine they will have a much better selection of cam shafts to choose from. Also they used the same exhaust manifolds that the other Toronado's used. John
Old December 31st, 2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobilejuggernaut
The floors and trunk on this car are solid, It's going into indoor storage and then I will be doing more extensive probing
Glad to hear. The car doesn't look bad at all and is a very rare and unique Oldsmobile! Much more unique than yet another A-body
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:48 PM

IIRC its not about a special transmission, its "only" the converter with a higher stall speed.
Old January 18th, 2019, 07:41 PM

I have good grills, bumper and bottom header panel on a mostly complete parts car for this if the next owner needs them. located in south dakota