Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Looks OK up top but wait till you see what's underneath

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:15 PM

Looks OK up top but wait till you see what's underneath

https://york.craigslist.org/ctd/d/yo...433944600.html
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:26 PM

funny,back in about 85 or so a guy brought his 65 mustang conv in so we could change the oil.this was one of those guys that has never put a wrench to a car,and thought his crap didn't stink.well we had globe in ground single post hoists.i always lifted on the back of the front sub frame and right in front of the rear leaf springs.so i go to lift it and i see it start to rise and hear some crunching so stopped and went back and looked and the hoist pads shoved right thru the floor in front of the leafs so i stopped dropped it and ran it outside.he showed up and i told him no way in hell was i getting under that on the hoist.he drove off pissed and never came back again.which was fine with me.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Back in the late 70's I worked at a Midas shop that used front and rear car lifts with separate controls in central Jersey. An old timer came in with a 62 Rambler Americana for a warranty muffler replacement and as I went to lift the car it was literally folding in towards the center with a huge pile of rust falling onto the shop floor. I put the car back on the ground and had to tell the poor man that he needed to install a new car on his muffler. The whole underside of the car was almost completely rotted out. He was pretty upset also.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:24 PM
Banned

Boy if this car isn't the definition of a shiney turd. So for 18 Grand you get a non running car that is completely rotted and not safe to drive. So basically worthless. Gee sounds like a hell of a deal. Sounds like a very reputable car dealer to me. 💩

Holy crap look at that frame.

For sale is a 1968 Oldsmobile 442 , convertible , outside air induction . This car has a 1970 , 455 motor and transmission in it (which is not included in the sale ) there is a 400 motor , which we were told is the original motor , we could not verify the numbers , but it is included in the sale along with the transmission . This Oldsmobile is automatic transmission , 12 bolt rear , power brakes , and outside air induction . This car is black with a black interior , and a white top . The miles are exempt on the title . This car has been sitting for many years , this car needs a frame . We are a used car dealer . The price is $17900.00 plus tax , title , and applicable fees . Call today for more information ! M&M Inc of York2875 East Prospect RdYork , Pa 17402

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 2nd, 2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:36 PM

Hey, c'mon, guys! You also get a four row radiator, red inner fenders that look original, and those fancy aftermarket induction ducts, LOL! Oh, and don't forget the dual snorkel air cleaner! Dang, there aren't even any rear lower control arms!!
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:40 PM
Banned

We don't have rust like that out here. I am blown away. You are going to tell me that is a clean body under that shiney paint?? That car is junk.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:47 PM

Yes, it is really pretty astonishing to see the underside! Odd thing is, there is some puzzling stuff going on underneath. It almost looks like the frame came from another car and they set the 68 body down on it. (notice the brake and fuel lines that are not even close to where they should be even on a severely rusted out car) Also, the floors do not look like they could be from the same car as the frame. Even if they are full of fiberglass, there is just too much there compared to how much of the frame is gone. If by some miracle the body is solid, I think the car could actually be an alright buy at $5K-$10K to drop on another frame, but that is very unlikely and who knows what is hiding under the paint. This raises the question: If the body was put on that frame, why would anyone take what looks to be a decent car and drop it on that frame? Another question: Who was crazy enough to go under that lift long enough to capture those pics with that hanging above them? Definitely more questions than answers.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 03:11 PM

As a comparison, I pulled this car out of a junk yard in York, PA (actually pretty close to where the car in the listing is). The yard was in the middle of the woods and had been closed for over 30 years (so the car was sitting there for at least that long). The frame is still solid and would be usable if the car had not taken such a hard hit to the front end. The floors were gone however. This is what I would expect the floors in the 68 convertible above to look like. The car above is very bizarre indeed.

Old February 2nd, 2022, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Dang, there aren't even any rear lower control arms!!
No joke, I thought I was seeing things. Well, actually not seeing things that I should have been seeing.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 04:43 PM

Unfortunately extreme rust is the norm in this area. This was my friends Mercury Sable when it was about 9 or 10 years old.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 04:45 PM
Banned

Another reason to be thankful for living in Colorado
Old February 2nd, 2022, 05:49 PM
72Cutlass S

You don’t really need both rear springs. Think of how soft it would ride with just one.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
As a comparison, I pulled this car out of a junk yard in York, PA (actually pretty close to where the car in the listing is). The yard was in the middle of the woods and had been closed for over 30 years (so the car was sitting there for at least that long). The frame is still solid and would be usable if the car had not taken such a hard hit to the front end. The floors were gone however. This is what I would expect the floors in the 68 convertible above to look like. The car above is very bizarre indeed.

There's a couple small seat giblets that I need that that front seat might have if you're selling bits.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:44 PM

I actually bought that car in 2011 and cut it up soon afterwards. I really only bought it for the roof line, power window setup, and 4 door hardtop floor/ B-pillar/ brace structures (the floors are gone but the rockers and special 4 door hardtop braces are still in good shape). Some day I might build a 66 chevelle 4 door hardtop wagon. I do still have the front bench seat but it is currently sitting in a 66 chevelle ss396 hardtop buried in brush behind my brother's garage. If I dig the car out this summer I will keep you in mind and post some pics of the seat as I don't actually need it, but I could not bring myself to scrap it at the time.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:52 PM

Wow. It cleaned up nice at least! Gotta be the same car ...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ind-pa-159655/
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:58 PM
Banned

Good catch.
1st ad...

2nd ad...

No way that wasn't a repaint.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 07:10 PM

Hopefully somebody didn't buy it sight unseen from that auction!
Old February 2nd, 2022, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott_442
Hopefully somebody didn't buy it sight unseen from that auction!
Good point. If so that is one hard lesson learned. It sold for 22 grand at that auction. Gotta love auctions more and more. Do your homework period.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
I actually bought that car in 2011 and cut it up soon afterwards. I really only bought it for the roof line, power window setup, and 4 door hardtop floor/ B-pillar/ brace structures (the floors are gone but the rockers and special 4 door hardtop braces are still in good shape). Some day I might build a 66 chevelle 4 door hardtop wagon. I do still have the front bench seat but it is currently sitting in a 66 chevelle ss396 hardtop buried in brush behind my brother's garage. If I dig the car out this summer I will keep you in mind and post some pics of the seat as I don't actually need it, but I could not bring myself to scrap it at the time.
Roger that, thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:20 PM
Banned

Whoever bought that 68 for 22 grand has got to be kicking themselves. I am guessing maybe that now selling dealer. That is one expensive 70 455. 🤣😂🤣
Old February 4th, 2022, 04:55 AM

You'd think they would have at least stuffed the rear spring back in for the pic. I'm pretty sure the frame is broken in the back too. The floor has to be shot too. Especially at the body mount locations

Last edited by allyolds68; February 4th, 2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old February 4th, 2022, 01:56 PM

It should be illegal for a dealer to sell such a vehicle. It is clearly not safe for road use.
Old February 4th, 2022, 08:00 PM

i have deleted my comments on this car because this was not the same car I thought it was...my apologies.

Last edited by 69442murph; February 5th, 2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old February 4th, 2022, 08:04 PM
Banned

Shiney Turd. That car is absolute junk. Gee who would spend all that time to repaint it? Didn't even paint it the factory color. The lame *** dealer that paid 22k for it. Notice zero dash and front seat interior pictures. I Really Really hope some stupid *** dealer threw money at that car.
Old February 4th, 2022, 08:22 PM

comments I made were incorrect on this car, as it is not the same car I thought it was...my apologies

Last edited by 69442murph; February 5th, 2022 at 05:52 AM.
Old February 5th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pettrix
It should be illegal for a dealer to sell such a vehicle. It is clearly not safe for road use.
Amen to that.
Old February 6th, 2022, 08:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 69442murph
comments I made were incorrect on this car, as it is not the same car I thought it was...my apologies
Thanks for stating. Yes, they are two different vehicles. The vehicle stated in the OP's 1st post was updated 22 hrs ago. Price reduced to $15,990. The seller does state the vehicle needs a frame - not sure if that was in the original post.
Old February 8th, 2022, 03:35 PM

Those aren't rusted out floors. Those are the holes for the floor ducts that came with the a/c! Some thieving so & so stole the ductwork!
Oh how I know rust living in Mn. (home of the 35W bridge collapse in 2007 in large part due to corrosion).

My late friend used to own a '67 Biscayne for a winter beater & summer bad weather car. One night he was driving home from work, went around a curve & felt a movement. On further investigation he found the body had shifted on the frame! LOL! Probably not the only movement he had! LOL!
When he told me about it, I was reminded of the Laurel & Hardy skit where the boys were testifying in court against the bad guy. When the verdict came in as guilty, he turned, glared at the boys & said if he ever caught up to them he'd twist their heads around so "when yur walkin' north, you'll be looking south!"
I passed that one along to Bob & needless to say, he wasn't long for that car!

Old February 8th, 2022, 07:34 PM
Banned

The car advertised is absolute junk. Period. If you are dumb enough to buy it. You deserve the ..... I bet 300 percent on that lame dealer bought it. PLEASE 🙏👍 That sale Should be against the law.
Old February 9th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Thought PA still had a state safety inspection? Should have caught all that underside mayhem. Virginia dealers have to safety inspect every vehicle they sell, and rust and suspension issues like that won't pass.

Used to wonder why folks in rust states would come down here and buy up cars we had written off as not cost-effective to restore due to rust or damage. Then I went to the Centennial and saw cars less than 5 years old rotted halfway up the fenders and the fenders flapping in the breeze, and I understood. Rust here is different from rust there.
Old February 9th, 2022, 09:42 AM
1968 442 Convertible

My eyes see a relatively rust free body sitting on a super rusty frame. Is anyone else seeing this? I mean, you can't have a frame that rotted out without corresponding rot on the floor boards, etc. So, what's the story? Did someone kype the frame from an otherwise decent vert? Hard to believe, but that is what it looks like.....
Old February 9th, 2022, 11:24 AM

I see a big fat pig wearing lipstick.
Old February 9th, 2022, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bry593
My eyes see a relatively rust free body sitting on a super rusty frame. Is anyone else seeing this? I mean, you can't have a frame that rotted out without corresponding rot on the floor boards, etc. So, what's the story? Did someone kype the frame from an otherwise decent vert? Hard to believe, but that is what it looks like.....
See my post #7 and #8 above. I completely agree. VERY ODD!
Old February 9th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott_442
i see a big fat pig wearing lipstick.
🤣😅😂🤣👍🍻
Old February 9th, 2022, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by bry593

I can’t believe someone would go thru the time and effort to put a decent body on a rotted frame. But I agree, that’s exactly what looks like has happened. I find it really difficult to believe the frame has rotted to the point that it’s broken, the rearend is about yo fall out of it, and the body is relatively solid.

If someone had a decent convertible frame and lots of time, assuming the body is as solid as it appears, and the seller drops the price a bit, it might not be a bad purchase.

Old February 10th, 2022, 09:11 AM
Banned

I find it very hard to believe that was a rebody onto not only a rusted frame but completely trashed frame. No way in hell I think that body is clean and rust free. No way. I would say show me all the before pictures.

Old February 10th, 2022, 09:58 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I bought a 68 442 vert as a parts car many moons ago for $500, circa 1995. Nice complete saffron/pearl bench seat automatic car. It ran but didn't drive. It was so rotted we had to chain the driver's side rear end to the trans cross member so the wheel wouldn't roll out under the trunk pan. Only good place to hook it to get it on the flatbed was the engine cross member.

The driver's side lower control arm was sitting on the pavement when I first saw it sitting in a restoration shop's parking lot. The car nearly pulled in half 10 years later when winched it out of storage and sold what was left for $3500. I didn't take much off the car so that guy got a nice whole but rusted hulk with many usable parts. I think he restored a solid tub/frame using the numbers matching parts from that car.

Id say you have a $4-5K parts car there depending on what is in good shape. $15,900....drop the 1 as a starting point for the asking price.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 10:13 AM

Its back
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28471634080...Bh4cvW&vxp=mtr
Old March 23rd, 2022, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote "We are a used car dealer . This Oldsmobile is for sale on our lot for $14900.00 . Call M&M @ 717-755-3841 with any questions"
Old March 23rd, 2022, 10:43 AM

They sure seem adamant about not letting that ’70 455 go with the car. Why ???