Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Holy Grail? 1970 442 W30 Convertible for sale

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2015, 01:02 PM

Holy Grail? 1970 442 W30 Convertible for sale

Hello, Thanks for accepting me!
I work for a Montreal, Quebec classic car dealer, we just got this diamond in the rough after working on the deal for quite a while! It is a legit W30 car, all numbers match, and all mechanicals have been redone recently. We will price it fairly so there is enough room to restore it and come out ahead. But it could be driven as is right now, still presentable, and definitely dependable. Has a 1-inch-thick folder of receipts and documentation, including the GM of Canada letter confirming it's options (W30, electric windows, pearl White interior, etc...), selling dealer, etc... Please contact me by PM for further info, or to set up an appointment to see We can have you picked up at the airport), but don't wait, it will go fast! Don't forget also, US$ has 20-25% more value in Canada! We can assist with shipping and customs paperwork (no duty on US -built cars)

We've documented the car, everything is numbers-matching, from carb to engine, transmission, etc... it is the real thing (pictures on request), except for a color change from orange to Red. Thanks! Ben PS: we also have a few other interesting Olds, including a 69 H/O...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
81 898 miles.JPG (1.01 MB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg
photo 1.JPG (2.54 MB, 380 views)
Old July 17th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by benlavigne
We've documented the car, everything is numbers-matching, from carb to engine, transmission, etc...
Welcome. Nice car. To be completely correct, while I'm sure you mean the carb number is correct for the car, the carb itself has no numbers that "match". The only VIN derivative stamps that match the VIN (and thus really are MATCHING numbers) are on the block, trans, and frame. Good luck.
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Numerology 101 by Professor Padavano

uhhhn

Seller: "it will go fast! " is so much better wording than the sometimes heard "it won't last long!"

:-)
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:16 PM

Hello, you are correct, I meant to say "correct original" for the carb, as for the manifolds, distributor, etc... And it will go fast, and probably goes fast already! My main language is French. So I do have to rely on clichés!
I know this is more of a for sale post, but since it is such a rare car, and previously unknown, I thought people would enjoy hearing about it!
Ben
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Thanks, Ben. We do. Are you with John Scotti by any chance?
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Thanks, Ben. We do. Are you with John Scotti by any chance?
Yes I am!
We have a few nice Olds right now...
Ben
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well, you're in the right forum, I guess -- post up some pictures.
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome Ben. We do like pics. How about some of your 69 H/O?
If you can post prices, it may help the sales as well.
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:31 PM

Read the rules for posting in the classifieds: Ad must list the asking price.
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:46 PM

We are asking 100k OBO for the W30 Convertible, 90k for the H/O, which is a "refurbished" (frame-on resto) original car, matching drivetrain, but has some inexact details (one manifold, distributor, hood scoop decal...) http://www.johnscotti.com/en/used/19...thing/6071410/

We also have a fully-restored 69 442 convertible, for 80k: http://www.johnscotti.com/en/used/19...ation/6184412/

Please have a look at our other cars, and any comments on our Olds are appreciated, Thanks!

Ben

Last edited by benlavigne; July 19th, 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Are those prices USD or CDN? Makes a difference these days!
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Read the rules for posting in the classifieds: Ad must list the asking price.
In fairness to the OP, he didn't post in this sub-forum originally, I moved the thread here.
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Kool W-Machine, no doubt, but I had thought this car was dubbed the "Holy Grail"

http://www.classicarnews.com/2013/02...fter-35-years/

Last edited by Stefano; July 18th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Rocket Renegade!

But I thought mine was the Holy Grail!
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:50 AM

OK, we'll call it "Holy Grail du jour"!!! As I said, my main language is French, so I have to rely on clichés... ;-)
I think that since there are so few of them around, when a previously-unknown one comes up for sale, it deserves its moment in the spotlight!
Prices quoted here are in US$, prices on our website are in Can$, makes a good difference indeed (22% today....) and explains why you'll see more Canadian cars offered in the US...
If anyone needs more info or specific details/pictures on our cars, let me know. Any constructive comments on restoration details, etc... are welcome. We have some experts on some brands (John is a GM man from way back in the 60's, I am more of a Mopar man, but with a great appreciation for all makes... )
Cheers,
Ben
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:56 PM

Joe, You're the best!!! I love your response to the matching numbers claim on the carb, only to elicit an "inadvertent error" Keep up the good work. By the way, did the car sell?
Old December 31st, 2015, 07:46 AM

Hello Twilightblue, Thanks for reviving the thread after a few months, even if it meant having a jab at me... You seem to imply that it was not an "inadvertant error", but I think it was clear that it was indeed bad wording on my part, due to the fact that English is not my main language, and my enthusiasm to share a nice find of a never-heard-of before rare Oldsmobile...
As stated before, I do not consider my self an Olds expert, but I had the chance to speak to some while attending the MCACN last November. We still have the car for sale, but do not state "numbers-matching" until we have it authenticated by a third-party. We know the history of the car, as it has always been local to us, so we can back the claim, but realize that since the car is new to the market, more documentation (in addition to the GM of Canada papers that confirm it is the real thing...) will be an asset.
Again, I really value the opinions and advice from all of the participants, I came to this forum to seek info to make sure we present this rare find as accurately as possible!
Ben
Old December 31st, 2015, 09:18 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Don't worry, Ben. Your written English is much better than a lot of people whose ONLY language is English. Best of luck!
Old December 31st, 2015, 10:15 AM

i think to be the Holy Grail..it would need a 4 speed and a W27..but thats just me..

neat car for sure...
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by benlavigne
Hello Twilightblue, Thanks for reviving the thread after a few months, even if it meant having a jab at me... You seem to imply that it was not an "inadvertant error", but I think it was clear that it was indeed bad wording on my part, due to the fact that English is not my main language, and my enthusiasm to share a nice find of a never-heard-of before rare Oldsmobile...
As stated before, I do not consider my self an Olds expert, but I had the chance to speak to some while attending the MCACN last November. We still have the car for sale, but do not state "numbers-matching" until we have it authenticated by a third-party. We know the history of the car, as it has always been local to us, so we can back the claim, but realize that since the car is new to the market, more documentation (in addition to the GM of Canada papers that confirm it is the real thing...) will be an asset.
Again, I really value the opinions and advice from all of the participants, I came to this forum to seek info to make sure we present this rare find as accurately as possible!
Ben
Nice to meet you in person, glad you made the show. Do you think we had enough MOPARs there?
Old January 1st, 2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
Nice to meet you in person, glad you made the show. Do you think we had enough MOPARs there?
Hello Stefano, not the best time for a long conversation then, thanks for the contacts. Yes, the Mopar turnout was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime event, but I also appreciated the BOSS 302's, Stage 1's, LS6's... How on earth are you guys going to top that next year??? Maybe a display of W30 convertibles? ;-)
Cheers,
Ben
Old January 1st, 2016, 01:24 PM

We did do that with 1970 W-30 4 speeds a few years back.

We already have a bunch of super Kool and never shown cars to be displayed for next year stay tuned.

The show will be unveiling a frame off restored 4 speed W30 hardtop sold new in Canada.
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:25 PM

Cool, it's now an annual trek, I bring along new people each year!
An GLWS of the convertible in a few weeks!
Ben
Old February 19th, 2016, 04:05 PM

What is the Status of this W-30?
Old February 19th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Still available!
I am piecing it's history together...
Ben

Last edited by benlavigne; February 19th, 2016 at 05:41 PM.