Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

68 442 coupe, all manual

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2019, 11:48 PM

68 442 coupe, all manual

Muncie 4 speed, man steering and brakes, posi. Not original motor, 455 from a 69 Delta. Rust on most panels needs repair. No interior, parts car or can be restored. 5K obo , pics on request. If no interest I will part out or scrap. In the Los Angeles area.

E
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:51 PM

Hi all, well its hard to believe that no one has even asked any questions about this car, is there absolutely no interest in a 68 442? I don't want to scrap this car but will if I have to just to get it off my driveway. I will part out if there is any interest at all or resort to ebay, BAT or OldsCentral as well but I thought this was the place to start for the olds heads.
Old March 15th, 2019, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by epinkston
Hi all, well its hard to believe that no one has even asked any questions about this car, is there absolutely no interest in a 68 442? I don't want to scrap this car but will if I have to just to get it off my driveway. I will part out if there is any interest at all or resort to ebay, BAT or OldsCentral as well but I thought this was the place to start for the olds heads.
You'll get more questions and interest if you post pictures. I've been half-assed looking for a 68 4 speed project but it has to have A/C, which is really rare

FWIW, You're scaring people away when you say it has rust. Your idea of rust and a Northeastern person's idea of rust are two completely different things.
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply and I'm sure you are right. I will upload some pics and see if that helps. as for the rust it seems pretty New England to me, not typical for a SoCal car. I took off the front clip and it wasn't easy, every bolt was frozen. fenders need work in the typical places, core support needs some welds around the attachment holes to the frame. the frame horn that the steering gear attaches to has rot, apparently some animal wintered in there based on all of the sticks and crap I found. Both doors have rot on the bottom. The front window channel has rot and the water ran down into the pan from behind the dash which caused the driver floor pan to rot. driver quarter has some rot behind the wheel well, passenger side seems ok, trunk pan ok, trunk lid has rot and needs repair or replacement. hood has rot in the nose, needs repair or replacement. And the rear window channel has rot. I haven't investigated the rest of the frame or anything else not mentioned here. I contacted DVAP and they had everything I needed, sheet metal wise, to rebuild this car for ~$2800 plus shipping, or I could make the trek to them and save some of the shipping $. If I had better welding skills I may take this one on, unfortunately I do not. So at the end of the day I am just trying to find this basket case a home, either piece by piece or as a whole. Pics to come by Monday.
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:12 AM

Old March 16th, 2019, 12:13 AM

I actually found four pics of the car from when I originally bought it. I will post more later.
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Doesn't look that bad. Post some more pics when you can -- the more detail the better. Does it run?
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:37 AM

i will take pics this weekend. the plan was to make it run but right now no. it has the M21 but has a auto block from a 69 Delta, so i was told, I have the heads and intake off to inspect the internals. It seems to be the right block and heads for a 69 lower compression, 4bbl, dished pistons. bores in good shape so it should be fine. Problem is the block has no place to mount the z bar for the clutch. so if you want to use this block you have to fab a bracket. The crank seems to be drilled for the M21 but I haven't separated the two for further inspection. to put it bluntly it is a Frankenstein.
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:44 AM

The guy i bought it from had no idea what he was getting into, so he bought a 69 delta for the engine. then he entrusted the cars to a "mechanic" to meld the two together. needless to say the "mechanic" decided the project was too much for him and this is what was left over. I have seen worse become respectable drivers or even top notch cars but I am just not the one to take this one there. I bought the car with intentions to restore, sell or part it out and was sure I could at least recover my investment. I'm sure that is still the case but I am trying to preserve this VIN because when it is crushed its gone forever. Hopefully some if not all of it can find a home.
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:02 PM

Old March 16th, 2019, 06:10 PM

Old March 16th, 2019, 06:12 PM

OK I reached my limit of 20 pictures. I have more if anyone wants to see anything else or i can take detailed pics of something if needed.
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:31 PM

Compared to what’s around me that’s rust free...lol

in all seriousness, that's pretty rusty for a west coast car but not bad. Is it a Fremont car?

Last edited by allyolds68; April 29th, 2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Good pictures, good honest description. I'm sure somebody will have some interest. Best of luck.
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:58 PM

Thanks all, the car was born in Lansing although from what I was told it spent its last two decades in a mountain community here in so cal. It apparently snows there in the winter and it sit out in it uncovered. I guess that would explain some of the rust holes in strange places. Like the hood nose, deck lid and a couple of small holes on the top of one corner panel by the trunk.
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:48 AM

PM sent, hope car lives, but if you part it I have some requests.
Thanks
-Randy
Old March 21st, 2019, 05:00 PM
Tastefully Hooped

I looked at that car a few years ago. It was listed on the San diego Craigslist for a while at least a year or more. I think the original color was a dark green. Back when I saw it it had the original motor & transmission in it, console etc. It was fairly complete car at that time but I passed on it because of the rust.
​​
Old March 21st, 2019, 05:30 PM

Yeah the person who had it before me bought it from a guy by San Diego. Then he stripped it down and replaced the other engine with this one from a 69 Delta. All of the old parts were in the car and the tranny is still there but due to the rust inside there isn't much of the interior left. And what is left is in bad shape. One bucket seat can be salvaged, the driver side metal is too far gone. I have the tops of the console but the base is gone. The door panels were trash but I kept what is left. The lower rear seat was just rusty springs with a piece of vinyl stuck to it and the seat back may be ok, I still have it. Really none of the sheet metal is beyond repair it's just that there's so many places that need to be patched up. Like I said above I wish I had better welding and fab skills. The mechanical and cosmetic part are a piece of cake but she needs some new bones.
Old March 21st, 2019, 06:17 PM
Tastefully Hooped

Yeah bummer. Hopefully someone will save it.
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:02 PM

like someone else said,rust free to us in the Midwest. ive done cars with worse rust than that. but,im up to my eyeballs in 65 cutlass resto. it can be saved in my opinion
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:16 PM

I've seen guys on this forum tackle worse and have excellent results. But they have the skills to do the metal work. For me I have to pay for the sheet metal work and panels, then bodywork and paint. That would eat up my entire budget for a car like this that may be a 30-40k car when done, not sure of the actual value once restored. If anyone really wanted to take it on I would work with them on a price that's reasonable. I know I can get some $ on suspension, tranny, heads, block, crank, stainless trim etc but I don't really want to go there. I will give it time cause I'm sure there's a guy out there with a 68 or will have a 68 that could use this one. Even a 2 car to make 1 good one is a better alternative than parting and scrapping this one.
Old April 26th, 2019, 11:05 PM
O'smobile

That is a really great car...
Old April 27th, 2019, 01:07 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

That's a K code car (Ocean Turquoise poly) with a black top. And there's one of those upper trunk simulated vinyl moldings. Some good parts left for sure. Is that a Rallye gauge cluster I see?
Old April 28th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, it does have the rally pac,, I believe is had a white vinyl top originally though.

I'm willing to let it go for 3K total and throw in some buckets and rear seat from a 71 or 72 Cutlass if anyone is interested, the old interior was shot. Also going to pit it on Craigslist for a couple of weeks to see what happens. I hate to cut it up but this is my last shot.
Old April 28th, 2019, 08:55 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by epinkston
Thanks for the reply, it does have the rally pac,, I believe is had a white vinyl top originally though.

I'm willing to let it go for 3K total and throw in some buckets and rear seat from a 71 or 72 Cutlass if anyone is interested, the old interior was shot. Also going to pit it on Craigslist for a couple of weeks to see what happens. I hate to cut it up but this is my last shot.
Ya if its underside with exception of that front frame horn is solid it'd be a shame to cut it up.
It would have looked like this new. The cowl tag will have a K on it for Ocean Turquoise. I have its twin. Which was originally a Fremont Z code car was this color. It has K6 on the tag. K6 is Ocean teal lower body color with a parchment(pearl white) vinyl top upper body color and 957 parchment interior. Actually a sharp color combo IMO. Not often seen. but not rare either.
Ill bet DVAP would haul it away for you, maybe? Desert Valley Auto Parts in AZ. https://www.dvap.com/

Old April 28th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Yeah I believe the top was parchment and the interior definitely was. It needs driver floor pan, hood nose work, decklid work, each door needs a patch and the driver quarter and window chanels, from what I can tell the frame is otherwise solid. I looked into dvap for parts originally as I thought I may restore it myself. I could get everything I need to do it for about 2200 if I go pick it up. Also I have seen a couple of 68 cutlasses on Craigslist for less than 2 k that were solid to use as a donor and I was tempted. I just don't have time or the welding skills to manage this one. I have a friend local who will also take it off my hands but he parts cats out.