Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1988 Cutlass GT (Not Mine)

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2023, 07:26 PM

1988 Cutlass GT (Not Mine)

Check out the Cutlass GT. This may be one of one.

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass | eBay
Old March 15th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Banned

Man does this car scream full on street race car.

Item description from the sellerItem description from the sellercar needs total restoration floor pan is rotted on one sideup for auction is 1988 olds cutlass gt 2 door coupe very rear car, this is the body only needs restoration pictures will show the complete car on show whats needed the car has no motor or transmission has velour interior on buckets seats on console this car is 244 out of 400 restored properly is worth upwards of 35000 this is low reserve auction any additional question call 914-329-9900 we can deliver this car to lower 48 state at wining bidder expense

Old March 15th, 2023, 09:14 PM
Oldsdruid

It's not a one of one. Final GT production was a few under 300, all made for and sold new through NC and a few southern VA Olds dealers.

This one is about as far away from home as I've seen, though I think one made it to Colorado.

The GT is an interesting story but suffice to say there's a lot of misinformation out there about the GT, by a lot of people who don't know wtf they're talking about.

Old March 16th, 2023, 02:13 AM

Was this more of a regional zone build? We had different versions built in the southern zone. One was the "Southern Gold". Can anyone share pictures?
Old March 16th, 2023, 12:41 PM
delete

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It's not a one of one. Final GT production was a few under 300, all made for and sold new through NC and a few southern VA Olds dealers.

This one is about as far away from home as I've seen, though I think one made it to Colorado.

The GT is an interesting story but suffice to say there's a lot of misinformation out there about the GT, by a lot of people who don't know wtf they're talking about.
Was the console plaque installed when they did the conversion?
Old March 16th, 2023, 12:42 PM
delete

Originally Posted by TRFREE
Check out the Cutlass GT. This may be one of one.

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass | eBay
What makes you say 1of1? I think these are interesting but not really desirable. I'd take an 85-87 442 over one
Old March 16th, 2023, 02:17 PM
Oldsdruid

Tops & Trends installed the console plaque when they'd finished the conversion, which was basically the hood scoop (glued on and notorious for coming off), decklid spoiler, decals and exhaust. The car batch order that deleted the rocker and wheel arch mouldings, roof and trunk scripts was made thru Highland Olds. All GTs came with trailer towing package to get its deeper gearing.

Oldsmobile's NC sales and service Zones realized the 442 was gone for 1988 and wanted a sport/performance package to give Olds some presence in NASCAR country where the Monte Carlo SS dominated.

The 9 engine wasn't certified for 1988 and with such a limited sales forecast the NC Zones couldn't get it installed in the GT. But a Y 307 was still a better option for an Oldsmobile than a 305 Chevrolet engine.

What gets me are the people who dismiss the GT out of hand because "the factory didn't produce it". Well, it was done with the blessing of GM, Oldsmobile Division, and their NC Sales and Service Zones. It was a car built to give Oldsmobile people in NC an alternative. There were several in Mid Atlantic Olds Club and some of us were asked for input on producing it.

I had the chance to buy GT #7 in 1995 but by time I got a day off to handle it, it had sold. The owner of the car lot told me later he bought the car with me in mind because I knew what it was and the story behind it. I have never seen it again.
Old March 16th, 2023, 05:59 PM

I want whatever this guy is smoking. If it were absolutely **** condition, I don't see it making 35k. It's a deballed 442 which had very little ***** to begin with. This is like being king of the third grade, then being held back for the next year.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:37 PM

My biggest question is that the VIN 9 engines were certified through 1990 for the Caddys, so why not the Cutlass?

The unfortunate thing about the car being sold in the ad is that they have absolutely NO idea what the GT is or was. The list price for the option was $995.00. The wheel arch trim and the WIDE lower body side molding were deleted, but the thin trim rocker strip remained.

The only thing about the GT in the ad that is one of one is that it's the ONLY GT that had been numbered 244. Which was about the end of the line on those anyway. 400 was the goal I think, but that never happened. IMO, it fell into the same category as the Carolina Gold/Southern Gold editions. A regional thing. Even the 84 Cutlass Special Editions came with unique paint and interior material combos and had their own RPO code. I don't think GTs had any specific GM RPOs to itself. I've never researched it, but I don't believe they did. One thing I can say, is that they NEVER used any 442 or Hurst parts making the '88 cars. There's been rumors about the GTs saying they were using up leftover VIN 9 engines and Hurst spoiler parts, et al, but that is all bunk. No evidence exists to back up any of those claims.

All 1988 CSCs came with 307 and TH200-4R anyway, so the engine and transmissions were a gimme. You also got buckets/console and dual sport mirrors on the GT. But other than that, I'm not 100% sure what was "mandatory" for the GT package to be added to the car. I believe GT's came with F41 and accompanying 205/70-14 white letter tires. Not sure if all 88's came with the U21 gages or not, but I think they did.

Friend of mine bought one new. He moved and I never saw him or the car again. He came by to show it off and even let me drive it because he knew I was into the G-body Oldses. The spoiler and scoop left a lot to be desired, though. Pretty flimsy. It was for the most part an appearance package that looked pretty cool overall, though. ONLY thing added to the interior was the console number plate. By the late 80s, there wasn't much in the 307 Y that was performance oriented. Pretty sure the GU4 3.08 rear gears were installed on all the GTs at no charge, although the trailering package wiring U89 was never included on the window sticker or the SPID. Was the wiring there? I dunno. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any molding delete RPOs on the SPID either like there was on the 442s and H/Os.

Someone had started making reproduction decals for the GT package at one time about 20 years ago, but I don't know if that ever gained traction. Never had a car so I didn't follow it.

Here in SC there were plenty around back in 1988. I saw one south of Allendale not long ago running around. Never could find out who owned it, though. One in town here for a while, and saw 3 while I was in Charleston.

Here's some pics of one that was on Ebay many many moons ago that was for sale. Had the scoop but it came off and he didn't put it back on, but it did come with the car if you bought it. Had the sliding moonroof option on it.

Old March 16th, 2023, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koda
I want whatever this guy is smoking. If it were absolutely **** condition, I don't see it making 35k. It's a deballed 442 which had very little ***** to begin with. This is like being king of the third grade, then being held back for the next year.
You kill me Koda.
I am thinking more like 3.5 thousand. If that.

And PS you do not want what he is smoking...

Last edited by no1oldsfan; March 16th, 2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old March 17th, 2023, 01:09 PM

This is exactly why I love this site so much. There's always a wealth of information that is only available from age and experience. Thanks for posting those pictures. I believe every part of the country had their own version of special builds.
Old March 17th, 2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TRFREE
I believe every part of the country had their own version of special builds.
Exactly. I think Minnesota got the SNOW PLOW GOLD EDITIONS.
Old March 17th, 2023, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
My biggest question is that the VIN 9 engines were certified through 1990 for the Caddys, so why not the Cutlass?
Certifications have to be done for the complete package, not just the drivetrain. And certification is not cheap, so GM is not about to drop big coin to get certified for 300 to 400 cars. EPA rules are stupid

Old March 17th, 2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
this car is 244 out of 400 restored properly is worth upwards of 35000